Justin McCarthy to stay with Waterford.

Started by Lecale2, October 03, 2007, 01:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Justin McCarthy has indicated that he wants to stay with Waterford and have another go at an All Ireland. The County Board are expected to approve his appointment next week.
He's a great enthusiastic coach and I wish him all the best for next year but I think this Waterford team have missed the boat as far as an All Ireland is concerned. Under the new SHC arrangements they'll have a much harder run to the final than Kilkenny whether they win Munster or not. It's hard to see past Kilkenny under these new arrangements.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/1003/breaking17.htm

Bord na Mona man

At this stage it isn't a good coach that Waterford need. It's the loony factor they want to get them over the line.

orangeman

I think that Justin deserves another chane at it - he has got them to near the top of the hill and I don't think it was his fault that they got bet against Limerick.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Hard one to call, pretty similar to the Pilar and the Dublin football team - he has got them within a shout of an All-Ireland final , after a few years of not making the breakthrough do you look for fresh ideas or give him one more shot to see if he can do it next year! It would be very hard for a county board to get rid and always have the what if question hanging over their head when or if the next manager doesn't win an All-Ireland.

Also Waterford have some of their better players in the twilight of their careers, would be very hard for a new manager to come in and get the best out of them for one last go.

Bord na Mona man

I think more old school coaches like Justin are great on the developing the individual skills, but perhaps find it harder to get inside the heads of the younger generation and put the extra bit of drive into a group.
The same goes for Babs.

orangeman

Very hard to compare Babs and Mc Carthy - Babs was and is a bit of a dinosaur ( no disrespect intended as I really like the man )

Balboa

I think Mc Carthy deserves one more year, i think they were just ambushed by Limerick and the Cork matches had taken their toll in the previous weeks. They dont seem to have anybody coming through to replace the older players so it really would have to be next year.

orangeman

deiseach

I would have gotten shot of Justin in 2005 and 2006, and the same objections I had to him carrying on then still apply - players are going to get browned off with hearing the same old tactics that didn't work three-four-five years ago so why should they work now?

And yet . . . it would be supremely lacking in gratitude to deny him another chance after the cracking year we've just had. It was great, despite what our betters might think. One more spin on the roundabout!

Waterford Lurker

No point in letting Justin without having a new manager ready to replace him.

if Donal O'Grady would do the job I would like him to be brought in instead, I think Justin has had enough time at this stage, terrible news regarding Ken McGraths injury, hope it's not as bad as it sounds  :(
Up the Déise