Pike

Started by downredblack, October 01, 2007, 02:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Anyone know any good Pike spots in Cavan ? Fished Ramour before got nothing but I believe it is a good spot .

AZOffaly

Does it have to be Cavan drb? There's a few lakes around Mullingar in Westmeath which are good spots for Pike. Lough Ennell and Lough Owel would be 2 where I've caught a good few pike. I saw a pike take a duck from the surface in Lough Ennell one time. Big pike in there.

downredblack

Any info at all would be welcome AZ . I usually do a bit of sea fishing and am only really getting into the Pike . So if you have any good spots / tips it would be great .

AZOffaly

Well, as I said, I caught a good few Pike on a plug spinner, double jointed in the middle to look like an erratic swimming sprat. There are decent spots in places like Lough Ennel in Mullingar where you can go to the edge of a penninsula into the lake, and cast back across some reed beds, where all the big pike hang out. Lough Owel is another good lake, although you may need to take a rowboat out there to get the angle you want to attack on. There's been some big pike caught in both those lakes. There's a good few 'pike lakes' up there. Lough Derravarragh is another one, as is Lough Kinale near Finea.

There's also a big Pike Spot in Castleconnell, which is on the Shannon, near Limerick. I do a bit of fly fishing for trout there, but during the winter, I know lads pull pike out of there regularly. Decent size pike as well 15-20 lbs sort of weight.

AZOffaly

This site is a decent one for coarse and pike fishing 'hotspots'. You can navigate along different regions, but it's heavily based on the Shannon.

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/castleconnell.htm

downredblack

Thks AZ , will have a look . Will post a pic of my first double  ;)