Ireland - best place to live in the world

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, October 01, 2007, 02:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Cool

New Zealand is depressing. Rains all the time and huge social problems in the cities.
Ireland is certainly one of the best places to live imo.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

A bloke walks into a bar in New Zealand and orders a shandy. All the Kiwis sitting around the bar look up, expecting to see another Australian visitor. The barman says,

"You aren't from around here, are ya?"
The guy says, "No, I'm from Canada."
The bartender says, "What do you do in Canada?"
The guy says, "I'm a taxidermist."
The bartender says, "A taxidermist? What the heck is a taxidermist? Do you drive a taxi?'

"No, a taxidermist doesn't drive a taxi. I mount animals."

The bartender grins and yells, "He's okay boys. He's one of us".

Mickey OToole

Quote from: ludermor on October 01, 2007, 08:48:54 AM
Mickey ,
That is a bit of a stupid sweeping statement. It all relative, each of them countries are amoung the wealthiest in the world so things are going to be expensive. What are you basing your rip-offs on? I was in oslo last month and the only thing that seemed more expensive than dublin was the beer ( around 8-9 euro per pint) but everything esle seemed like dublin prices.

Jaysus your scraping it a bit if you're using Norway as a comparison. Everyone knows how expensice Scandanavian countries are. In any case didn't Eddie Hobbs run a whole series on rip off Ireland.

CiKe

I thought Vancouver had topped the list of cities.

To say it rains the whole time in NZ is crap. If you're on the South Island down around Fjordland i'd imaigne it could be depressing but up around Northland and the Coromandel it's pretty temperate and a fair bit dryer than Ireland.

armaghniac

So if Eddie Hobbs says something, it must be true. Prosperous countries are expensive, because wages are high and people with lots of dosh aren't worried about the price.

The GAA is one manifestation of the community spirit that also makes Ireland a good place to live and as an amateur organisation it is an illustration that money isn't everything.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Which makes it hard to understand why so many are determined to kill it stone dead with proposals for professionalism, transfers and the like. Some people don't understand how lucky they are.

Mickey OToole

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2007, 07:25:56 PM
So if Eddie Hobbs says something, it must be true. Prosperous countries are expensive, because wages are high and people with lots of dosh aren't worried about the price.

The GAA is one manifestation of the community spirit that also makes Ireland a good place to live and as an amateur organisation it is an illustration that money isn't everything.

If you go to : http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/pressrelease_measuringirelandsprogress2006.htm   you'll see the picture is not as rosy as you suggest. However with your attitude, which is reminiscent of the greedy attitudes that existed in Thatcher's  80s regime,  you wouldn't really give a toss about poor people.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gold

i hear Krakow is a good spot to live-or at least party? can anyone confirm?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Fishbat

Quote from: Colonel Cool on October 01, 2007, 02:49:57 PM
New Zealand is depressing. Rains all the time and huge social problems in the cities.
Ireland is certainly one of the best places to live imo.

NZ is very far from depressing, theres an endless amount of things to do and see, most of the North Island is Sub-Tropical and usually great weather through spring, summer and autumn, winter is nothing to speak off.  South Island bit colder but spectacular.  plenty of wide open spaces, nature reserves, ski resorts etc...only 4 million live there and its the size of the UK

Of course it still rains, Of course theres problems in the cities, do you know any where there are not?

Great spot..........if ye can stand the flight

Fishbat

Quote from: drici on October 02, 2007, 01:07:32 AM
Next you'll be telling us that it has no snakes.

So i hear, St Patrick definitely got about,   

and the people are'nt all 3 ft tall with hairy feet either

armaghniac

QuoteHowever with your attitude, which is reminiscent of the greedy attitudes that existed in Thatcher's  80s regime,  you wouldn't really give a toss about poor people.

How do you know what my attitude is? I said that if a lot of people are prosperous then it is possible for businesses to charge high prices. What does this say about my attitude?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Gaeilgoir

There is no doubt that Ireland is a lot better place to live now. Does anyone on here remember the 80's, there used to be a couple of hundred young people every week leaving Castlebar train station heading for Chicago or London. Our village had no GAA team after the minor age group.Intrest rates were at 17%, we think the health service is bad now what was it like in 1985, Grafton street was practically boarded up as were a lot of country towns. If someone bought a brand new car in our village it was talked about for a week. Christmas was the only time that people seemed to be around the pubs etc. as all our emigrants were home. Of course Ireland has its problems the same as every country in the world, however i think we are no worse off that most places. I know which era i would rather live in. Time to put away the rose tinted glasses i think.

Pietas

Yeah, but you can't move for feckin traffic and people have shag all time to do anything.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Declan

QuoteIntrest rates were at 17%, we think the health service is bad now what was it like in 1985

Yeah but I could afford a 3bed semi in Dublin even at those interest rates and on an average industrial wage. Health service was better in 1985 than it is now in relation to waiting lists, cleanliness,MRSA.

Swings and roundabouts though there is no doubt that materially most people we are much better off now than they were then.