The oldest Hurler still playing at 61 ??

Started by SuperMac, September 29, 2007, 03:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

And maybe the oldest GAA player ? Seen an article in the Evening Herald last week about 61 years young TJ Reilly who recently won a Meath county Junior championship medal with Broadsmill. He was the Meath hurler of the year back in 1975 also. 61 and still playing, anyone beat that ?

Dutch

INDIANA

one question -why would you be arsed? I mean playing in your 40's is one thing but your 60's? you're hardly likely to enjoy it-trying to run after some young fella 40 years younger than you making you look like an idiot. Thanks but no thanks- you'd be better off training teams at that stage.

orangeman

I read that story in the Independent a couple of weeks ago - he is the chairman of the Meath Hurling board - is now doing goals for the club - total respect is due ! Fair play to him !

heurebag

Lecale2

Former Antrim star Rory Galway was doing goals for Bredagh in Down/Antrim/Ulster leagues this year at the age of 55 (i think). And doing well I might add. His son was playing mid field in the same team.

SuperMac

Quote from: orangeman on September 30, 2007, 10:20:56 AM
I read that story in the Independent a couple of weeks ago - he is the chairman of the Meath Hurling board - is now doing goals for the club - total respect is due ! Fair play to him !

Fair play to him - exactly.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: hardstation on September 30, 2007, 01:09:58 AM
Did that post not used to be a lot longer SuperMac?
Anyway, he's probably shite. Tony Doran won an All Ireland for his club Buffers Alley almost single handedly in 1989 aged 43. Tom Dempsey (remember him?) was also on the team as a youngster. He was shite then too.

Crazy, some seriously good hurlers on that Alley team - Brothers Sean and Colin Whelan, Mick and Henry Butler and Tom Dempsey!!! how can you claim he was ever shite? For years he carried Wexford

Punxsutawney Fergal

Henry was a good keeper, should have retired after 88 but continued on and in 89 made a few howlers in the All Ireland semi to Cost the Alley what should have been their two in a row :'(

Bord na Mona man

A few years ago, the Cavan county keeper (can't remember his name) was well up in his 50s.

the destroyer

highking

Its hard to get goalkeepers in hurling in the weaker counties. Sometimes an ould warrior from yesteryear with loads of experience can fit the bill. At Junior level especially,and if he has a good full back line in front of him, there wont be many speedy corner forwards coming in burying him into the back of the net. All he needs is a good puck-out and to be good under the high ball. He might not get five shots to save in the year.

I was thinking of retiring myself next year at 30 and doing a bit of coaching - but after this inspiring story, I think I'll keep going for another while. Fair play to him....

orangeman

Star Spangler

That's great until he drops dead with a heart attack in the middle of a game!!

The Claw