What to do with GAA memorabilia.

Started by Hardy, September 28, 2007, 12:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I have been nominated to be the recipient of what I understand to be a large collection of GAA memorabilia, from a friend of a friend. The collection belonged to her father, recently deceased and I have been selected on the basis that I'm the only person she knows who is interested in GAA and she doesn't know what to do with the stuff.

Unfortunately, neither do I. I haven't received it yet, so I don't know what it contains, except that I'm sure there are a lot of match programmes in it. I'm not a collector, and don't want to start a collection of my own. I also don't want to see it go to someone who will just sell it and pocket the money.

I imagine a substantial collection should be worth something and I think the first thing I should do is suggest that she auction it. Does anyone know a good auction house for this kind of thing?

However, I have an inkling she doesn't want to do that and is just anxious to ensure that it finds a good and appreciative home. Any ideas?

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

That make sense OK - I suppose I should talk to them when I know what's in it. Still open to ideas, though.

Donagh

Have a look through it and see if it relates to any specific club or county and donate it to a club in that county for display.

Over the Bar

Sort it all out an post on here what you have.   I'm sure come of it will be of interest.  I've been collecting Tyrone programmes since I was a nipper and whilst I certainly don't need any more, I find it difficult passing over one I don't have!

orangeman

There's an auction house in Dublin who regularly hold auction for sports memorabilia - gaa is becoming increasingly popular - the programmes need to be in good shape for them to be valuable.

Hardy

Thanks lads - good suggestions all. I suppose what I should do will only become clear when I find out what I have and I'll probably end up doing some combination of the above and any other suggestions forthcoming.

Keep them coming.

lynchbhoy

museum in croker
then huff and take it all back when Geraghty doesnt win an all star/they allow kildare to win the AI

wait to see which club/county this mostly is associated with and approach them

Doire abú

Post every item you have up here and let the bidding begin!!:)

Hardy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 28, 2007, 01:02:22 PM
... what County would most of the memorabilia relate to?

I don't know, as it happens. The woman concerned lives in Cork, but she's from the North, so I assume her da lived up there somewhere, but I don't know what county. I know it seems strange, but I only know her through a friend and have met her maybe five times in fifteen years and not at all since her father died. We never talked GAA, so I never got to ask her what county she was from.

I'll know when I get the stuff, which probably won't be today or tomorrow - it first came up a few months ago and was mentioned (through my friend) a few times since - "must get that done" -  but nothing has been arranged. 

the Deel Rover

Hardy if there is anything there that even looks like the sam maguire send it to us good folk in mayo please ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ONeill

Hardy, would you ever try shoving it up yer hole?

still sore about the summer
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

LimerickNomad

Personally, I would be against donating it to the museum in Croke
Park.  Who says they would ever get to display it in any form?  A
waste.

I speak as a collector though.

Send me an e-mail of the stuff you have and I'll give you an
honest appraisal of its worth.

To the fella looking for the '57 AIFF: I have a spare but are you
willing to pay the going rate for it?

turk

Good man Nomad! I knew you'ld be in on this thread like a solicitor in a A&E ward!!!  :D

LimerickNomad

Quote from: turk on September 28, 2007, 03:06:19 PM
Good man Nomad! I knew you'ld be in on this thread like a solicitor in a A&E ward!!!  :D

You can't blame a man for trying...

Good to see you are keeping an eye on me!