Hurling allstar nominations

Started by timmykelleher, September 28, 2007, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

I'm surprised at the 20/1 odds on Brian Murray for goals, though I wouldn't expect him to get the award either.
Seamus Hickey 7/4 might be in with a shout.
Stephen Molumphy also at 7/4.
Martin Comerford at 10/1 is surprising, but he has been dumped into the half forwards.

the destroyer

if theres any justice kevin mc carry shud be in there

Hound

All Stars Named:

KK Kavanagh, Tyrell, Walsh, Fitz, Sheff, Brennan
Waterford Ken McGrath, T.Browne, M.Walsh, Dan Shan, S.Mulumphy
Limerick B.Murray, O.Moran, A. O'Shaugh
Tipp Fanning

Murray and Fanning would have been a nice 350/1 double!

jammy-dodger

are the football not out until the night or what???
surely they are bound to be leaked also

Punxsutawney Fergal

Surprised with Murray and Fanning ???

johnneycool

Quote from: Punxsutawney Fergal on October 18, 2007, 08:46:45 AM

I'm more surprised by Cha Fitzpatrick than Fanning to be honest. He had an average enough year I thought.

Seamus Hickey wll pick up the young hurler award now as a bit of a sweetner for not getting his allstar.

theskull1

Judges with the 350/1 docket in the pocket?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

murray kept no clean sheets- how could he get one over fitzhenry? can't remember any saves he pulled off either worth talking about.

Captain Scarlet

what about foley, inspirational and one of the few limerick men not to capitulate in the final.
plus he hasnt many years left at inter-county.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: theskull1 on October 18, 2007, 09:20:05 AM

Judges with the 350/1 docket in the pocket?

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they had! Can't see how Murray got it, he didn't keep a clean sheet in any game, I think he must have let in about 13 or 14 goals in the championship! Can't recall any amazing saves.

As for Cha I don't think he deserved one either this year -

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Fergal I think you and I would disagree on who should have got keeper - one of us backing Damian Fitz and the other Donal Og! but I think we'd agree both would have been a better choice than Murray. Can't beleive Murray got the All star particularly given his clanger V Tipp early in the championship and he made very few stand out saves during the whole year.

Donal Og or Fitzhenry would have been a far better choice and to be honest I thought Fitzhenry would pip it, I know Wexford aren't great but surely an All Ireland semi and league semi final should have been worth at least one All star either Fitzhenry or Rossiseter. Taken over the whole season hard to see how Limerick got three All stars and Wexford none.

Would also obviously query how cork ended with no all stars, involved in possibly the three best games of hurling this year - Ben O Connor was one of the top scorers of points from play during the whole year while Tom Kenny was outstanding in the middle of the park while Donal Og would have been neck and neck with Fitzhenry.

What was the selection of Kavanagh and Tyrell based on, they faced very few tests all year and I would have thought that either Rossiter or young Hickey had proved themselves under a greater period of sustained pressure during the year to merit an All Star - I know its not Kilkenny's fault that they mightn't have been tested but how do you judged a players worth in defence if he is not.

Finally amazed at no Mark Foley or indeed Limerick man in defence, it was their defence that carried them all year. The forwards had one good game against a tired Waterford side in the semi final and that was it yet they get two All Stars upfront not arguing at all with Moran but would question Shaughs overall contribution compared to the likes of O'Connor, Fraggy Murphy, Larkin or Comerford