Hurling allstar nominations

Started by timmykelleher, September 28, 2007, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmykelleher

The following is from RTE and the examiner.
From my own county, whatever about nominations, I wouldn't be expecting too many allstars considering the middling year they had.
I would have liked to see a nomination though for Pa Cronin who was a leading light at times for us during his debut season.

Hurling All Stars nominations revealed
Thursday, 27 September 2007 18:21
Eleven members of Kilkenny's All-Ireland winning team, including record chaser Henry Shefflin, have been included in the list of nominees announced for the Vodafone GAA Hurling All Stars awards.

The winners will be announced on 17 October and the All Stars Banquet takes place on Friday 19 October. The event will be broadcast live on RTÉ Two television.

Shefflin's nomination puts him in line to pick up his seventh award. The record number of nine All Star awards is jointly held by his former teammate DJ Carey and former Kerry football star Pat Spillane.

Tommy Walsh, who has won four consecutive awards, is again nominated on the half back line.

All-Ireland finalists Limerick have ten players nominated for awards while Waterford's contribution to the championship is recognised with nine nominations. Laois star James Young has been nominated for the second time.

Nine of last year's hurling All Stars - Donal Og Cusack, Walsh, Tony Browne, James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick, Jerry O'Connor, Shefflin, Dan Shanahan, Martin Comerford and Eddie Brennan- are again nominated.

The county breakdown is: Kilkenny (11), Limerick (10), Waterford (9), Cork (7), Tipperary (3), Wexford (2), Galway (2), Laois (1).

The Vodafone GAA All Star hurling nominees for 2007 are:

Goalkeepers: Damien Fitzhenry (Wexford), Brian Murray (Limerick), Donal Og Cusack (Cork)

Full Backs: Michael Kavanagh (Kilkenny), Noel Hickey (Kilkenny), Jackie Tyrrell (Kilkenny), Seamus Hickey (Limerick), Stephen Lucey (Limerick), Damien Reale (Limerick), Declan Fanning (Tipperary), Aidan Kearney (Waterford), Keith Rossiter (Wexford)

Half Backs: Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny), Tony Browne (Waterford), Ken McGrath (Waterford), Mark Foley (Limerick), Brian Geary (Limerick), Eamon Corcoran (Tipperary), Conor O'Mahoney (Tipperary), Sean Og O'hAilpin (Cork), John Lee (Galway)

Midfield: Michael Walsh (Waterford), James Fitzpatrick (Kilkenny), Derek Lyng (Kilkenny), Tom Kenny (Cork), Jerry O'Connor (Cork), Donal O'Grady (Limerick)

Half Forwards: Ollie Moran (Limerick), Mike Fitzgerald (Limerick), Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Martin Comerford (Kilkenny), Stephen Molumphy (Waterford), Dan Shanahan (Waterford), Alan Kerins (Galway), Ben O'Connor (Cork), James Young (Laois)

Full Forwards: Andrew O'Shaughnessy (Limerick), Willie O'Dwyer (Kilkenny), Eddie Brennan (Kilkenny), Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny), Eoin McGrath (Waterford), Seamus Prendergast (Waterford), John Mullane (Waterford), Neil Ronan (Cork), Kieran Murphy (Cork)

Kellys miss out on All-star nomination

By Jim O'Sullivan
EOIN KELLY'S demotion from the Tipperary team for much of this year's championship campaign has cost him his place among the Vodafone GAA Allstar hurling nominations for the first time in seven years.

And namesake Eoin Kelly from Waterford is another casualty, along with leading defender JJ Delaney.

In sharp contrast, Kilkenny team-mates Henry Shefflin and Tommy Walsh will be bidding for their seventh and fifth awards, respectively, with Shefflin almost certain to close the game on joint record holders DJ Carey and Pat Spillane, who each hold nine.

Overall, the list of 45 from which the team will be picked in mid-October is also noteworthy for the fact that Limerick have 10 players nominated — just one less than champions Kilkenny.

Seven of them are among a group of 18 first-time nominees and it reflects the number of games they played en route to their first All-Ireland final appearance in 11 years.

Others in this category include Kilkenny's winning captain last year Jackie Tyrrell, Tipp defenders Declan Fanning and Conor O'Mahoney, Limerick sharpshooter Andrew O'Shaughnessy and the Cork pair Neil Ronan and Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields).

Nine of the 2006 team are nominated — Donal Óg Cusack, Walsh, Tony Browne, James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick, Jerry O'Connor, Shefflin, Dan Shanahan, Martin Comerford and Eddie Brennan. A further eight players are previous award winners, including Damien Fitzhenry, Ken McGrath, Mark Foley, Séan Óg Ó hAilpín — and the remaining eight are previous nominees who have yet to be selected as Allstars.

One of these is Ollie Moran, outstanding at centre-forward with Limerick all year, who was nominated in 1984 as a defender. Others include Waterford captain Michael 'Brick' Walsh, Galway forward Alan Kerins and Cork midfielder Tom Kenny.

The winners will be announced on October 17 and receive their awards at a banquet in the Citywest Hotel, Dublin — along with the successful football team — two nights later.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

INDIANA

pat cronin? wouldn't have held a candle to ronan fallon who was outstanding this season- just goes to show how much the selectors know.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: INDIANA on September 28, 2007, 11:59:16 AM
pat cronin? wouldn't have held a candle to ronan fallon who was outstanding this season- just goes to show how much the selectors know.

Have to agree, he didn't bowl me over this year! Fallon should have got nominated

The Real Laoislad

Great to see James Young of Laois get nominated,For the good of hurling in Laois and other weaker counties i also think it be good if he was given a all star,He would get on any county team in the country just a pity we don't have 14 more like him
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

Can't believe Limerick got 10 nominations - ok they got to the final but .............

nrico2006

QuoteOne of these is Ollie Moran, outstanding at centre-forward with Limerick all year, who was nominated in 1984 as a defender

?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mouview

As I've said here before, don't know if Shefflin deserves one, though he'll probably get it based on 20 minutes work against Limerick, one pull across Seamus Hickey and a bit of spuoting from Cody.

bottlethrower7

a complete joke as always.

Not 1 but 2 Tipp men in the half back line, one of whom is Eamonn Corcoran who had an awful year (not made up for by his second half performance against Cork). While O'Mahony was decent, I wouldn't have thought him near getting a nomination. And they left out JJ Delaney who wasn't far off MOM in the all-Ireland final.

And Willie O'Dwyer? Come off it.

James Young is a fine hurler, but how in the name of jaysus does he deserve an all-star nomination?

A joke. Selectors, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

slow corner back

James Young got his nomination for being consistently good over the last four or five years. He was much better two years ago than this year but probably they wanted a nod toward the lesser counties. I would agree with earlier posters that Fallon should have been nominated, probably at the expense of Corcoran. Would have to agre with BT7 about willie O Dwyer how did he get nominated ahead of Joe Deane for instance???

Anyway its all pretty much hoopla outside the 15 who are picked. You could put your money on Lucey and Damian Reale in the full back line with either Kavanagh or hickey to join them. Ken McGrath is a shoo-in at centre half as is Tommy Walsh. Last place between John Lee and Geary. Midfield will be Brick walsh and one of the two Cats. Big Dan, Ollie Moran and probably Eoin Larkin based on his all ireland final. Full Forward line will have Shaughs, Henry and fast eddie. If Fitzhenry gets the nod in goals I reckon it will be KK 6 Waterford 3 Limerick 4/5 Wexford 1 and Galway maybe one although I think Geary will get the nod ahead of lee

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Some curious ones here Willie Dwyer, Eoin Mc Grath (was it meant to be Eoin Kelly!) and hard to see how they justify selecting Noel Hickey and Damain Reale given the number of games they missed through injury.

Would have thought that Eoin Kelly (Wtd) was worth at least a nomination as was Fallon from Dublin who hurled well all year.

As always this will be a balancing act by the "selectors" with each county getting their "fair quota" whether their performances merited it or not, hard to see how their were ten Limerick men deserving of nominations given their poor league form and their performance on All Ireland day.

For what its worth my selection would be

Donal Og Cusack/Damian Fitzhenry could pip Cusack to this as Wesford will need to get something.
Jackie Tyrell
Stephen Lucey
Damian Hickey
Tommy Walsh
Ken McGrath
Tony Browne
Mark Foley (will get one on his all Ireland final display)/Tony Browne
Cha Fitzpatrick
Brick Walsh
Dan Shanahan
Ollie Moran
Ben O Connor
Eddie Brennan
Henry Shefflin
Andrew Shocks

bombidal

PADDY POWER
2007 HURLING ALL STARS

Goalkeepers

1/20      Damien Fitzhenry

15/2      Donal Og Cusack

20/1      Brian Murray

Full-backs

1/33      Jackie Tyrrell

2/7        Stephen Lucey

1/2        Michael Kavanagh

7/4        Seamus Hickey

2/1        Noel Hickey

5/1        Damien Reale

8/1        Aidan Kearney

16/1      Declan Fanning

33/1      Keith Rossiter

Half-backs

1/950    Tommy Walsh

1/25      Ken McGrath

1/3        Tony Browne

7/2        Brian Geary

4/1        Mark Foley

5/1        Sean Og O'hAilpin

12/1      John Lee

22/1      Eamon Corcoran

50/1      Conor O'Mahoney

Midfield

1/14      Michael Walsh

1/8        James Fitzpatrick

4/1        Tom Kenny

10/1      Derek Lyng

10/1      Donal O'Grady

10/1      Jerry O'Connor

Half-forwards

1/950    Dan Shanahan

1/500    Ollie Moran

8/13      Eoin Larkin

9/4        Stephen Molumphy

11/2      Ben O'Connor

10/1      Martin Comerford

10/1      Alan Kerins

40/1      Mike Fitzgerald

40/1      James Young

Full-forwards

1/500    Andrew O'Shaughnessy

1/200    Eddie Brennan

1/100    Henry Shefflin

12/1      Willie O'Dwyer

25/1      Eoin McGrath

25/1      Seamus Prendergast

25/1      Kieran Murphy

28/1      John Mullane

33/1      Neil Ronan
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

slow corner back

Paddy Power is pretty certain where the awards are going anyway looking at those odds. I still think Geary or Damian Reale might be worth a flutter.

Sean3

I realise that Clare had a poor year but I thought Philip Brennan in goal should have merited a nomination. Pulled off one of the saves of the year against Galway.

tayto

Feck you'd want to be lumping some money on tommy Walsh to get any return!

johnneycool

I suppose the three nominations for hurler of the year are sho-in's for allstars, so that's big Dan, Ken McGrath and Tommy Walsh sorted.

take away the media hype big Deccy Fanning was probably the pick of the full backs on display this year followed by Lucey. Noel Hickey wasn't really tested enough to say he was good, but that isn't his fault in a way. Hickey will get it irrespective.
Young Seamus Hickey will get one of the corner berths even if he was exposed in the final. I'd still think he'll pick up the young hurler as well athough he may only get one of the awards. The young lad Kearney from Waterford was outstanding at the end of the league and early championship but gradually waned as the year went on. He should be ahead in the pecking order of Reale, and Tyrell but Tyrell will get it even though he wasn't really tested that much either..

Ken, Tommy and more than likely Mark Foley for the half back line. Tony Browne is an outside shot and considering Foley had a few uncomfortable halves with Johnny Carroll in the Munster championship may just sneak it. Geary was outstanding in Munster but his poorish display in final will work against him. Lee will get the young hurler award if Seamus Hickey gets an All star.

Midfield is brick Walsh plus another, possibly Jerry O'Connor but more than likely Lyng who's underestimated IMO.

Big Dan is in with Ollie Moran. If it was on performances then Molumpy would be in but as I'm expecting a Kilkenny man to pip him and that'll be Eoin Larkin

Shefflin will collect another by default. He'll be joined by Eddie Brennan and Andrew Shaughnessy