Concreting the back street

Started by Smokin Joe, September 27, 2007, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

I'm going to get a bit of concreting done round the back and side of my house.  I don't know too much about concrete at this stage, so any advice?

What sort of finish should I go for - fine brush or floating - what's the difference?

Anything else I should be aware of?

hoopsaaa

Gor a brush finish - less slippy. Make sure you get good workmen to do the work. Time spent preparing the ground and leveling it will save you a few poubd on cement. Buy good concrete. Make sure they people who lay it cut expansion jionts after its finished.

spiritof91and94

Depends whats going onit. Brush for pedestrians - tamped for motors gives better skid resistance.

downredblack

Paths - Brush and bullnose float round the edges .

Smokin Joe

It'll be mainly for the kids to play on.  A car might be driving on it every now and again but it would be just to leave shopping at the back door etc.

Expansion joints after it's finished - Is that where you see the strips of something different (looks foamy or something like that)after various spans of concrete?

john mcgill

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

john mcgill

ziggysego

Ah, I'm thinking of your name in Killyclogher.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Is that common parlance up there - calling the back yard a "street"?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: john mcgill on September 27, 2007, 12:26:58 PM
Kevin Daly is your man

He is my intended layer - just wanted to get a bit of info from the worldy wise on this board.

Smokin Joe

What span of concrete can you have before you need a expansion gap?

downredblack

About 8 feet , 5 mil flexi ply will do the job .

Rois

Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2007, 12:37:11 PM
Is that common parlance up there - calling the back yard a "street"?

Was just about to commend Joe on that myself - it's def what my granny calls it anyway - haven't heard it in years!

heganboy

A back street and a yard are 2 completely different beasts
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity