McIver to be named Donegal boss

Started by hoopsaaa, September 26, 2007, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I must say I'm a wee bit puzzled at him going back but he is the right man for the job ! A great manager. Donegal are lucky to have him.

J70

What has changed since he basically quit in disgust after the Monaghan game?

I know he had a big clear-the-air meeting with the players before he announced his interest in going back, but haven't we down the road of being promised full commitment from the Donegal players just about every year over the past five years? I know that after the league there was a bit of a reassessment in the press, wondering whether everyone had been too hard on them, but when you get local papers publishing accounts of a number of players staggering around the diamond in Donegal Town in the wee hours after the Tyrone hammering, you obviously still have to wonder what is going on with certain individuals. Tom Comack wrote a piece basically saying that a number of players were happy to be on the county panel and to take the recognition that goes with that, but that they weren't willing to put in the effort that is required to seriously compete at that level. Hopefully, McIvor will be either get it from them or show them the door. He has shown, at least to a greater degree than his predecessor, that he won't pick players based on past reputation, but he needs to be more ruthless and decisive on the line at times e.g. the Monaghan game, where neither Devenney nor McFadden should have come out for the second half.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 26, 2007, 07:46:58 PM
Nothing wrong with a Tyrone man getting the Derry job, sure arent half the Derry team from Tyrone anyway.
jealous ? ;)

glenswilly gael

Mc Iver is getting the job. Charlie Mulgrew was told last night that he isn't getting it so it must be Mc Iver. Don't understand the selection committees decision. They were looking for someone for a three year term, so how can they trust Mc Iver when he says he will stay 3 years. Remember he was not re appointed to simply finish his last year of his original 3 year term.
Another point which needs to be made is that the main men behind " Club Donegal" (Mick Mc Ginley and Michael Mc Loone) seem to have a lot of power lately and were firmly behind Mc Iver. Heard from a good source yesterday that if Mc Iver did get the job then major names would role from the panel.They will not even get a chance simply dropped and no way back. (E Mc Gee, Mc Fadden, and Whoppa,) for sure plus a few more lesser names probably.

Maximus Marillius

QuoteHeard from a good source yesterday that if Mc Iver did get the job then major names would role from the panel.They will not even get a chance simply dropped and no way back. (E Mc Gee, Mc Fadden, and Whoppa,) for sure plus a few more lesser names probably.

Proper bloody order too.

orangeman

Mc Ivor is goig to have to come in and swing the axe - there's a few players who need to be chased and told never to come back - get rid of the drinkers !

J70

Quote from: glenswilly gael on September 27, 2007, 09:59:47 AM
Mc Iver is getting the job. Charlie Mulgrew was told last night that he isn't getting it so it must be Mc Iver. Don't understand the selection committees decision. They were looking for someone for a three year term, so how can they trust Mc Iver when he says he will stay 3 years. Remember he was not re appointed to simply finish his last year of his original 3 year term.
Another point which needs to be made is that the main men behind " Club Donegal" (Mick Mc Ginley and Michael Mc Loone) seem to have a lot of power lately and were firmly behind Mc Iver. Heard from a good source yesterday that if Mc Iver did get the job then major names would role from the panel.They will not even get a chance simply dropped and no way back. (E Mc Gee, Mc Fadden, and Whoppa,) for sure plus a few more lesser names probably.

Has Woppa been acting the maggot too? Maybe Michael Doherty will get a run out again now, although I'm not convinced he's up to it at the highest level. Any word on your clubmate, Colin Kelly, coming back? He looked promising in his couple of cameos in 2006. Well able to take a long-range score.

glenswilly gael

Agree Colin Kelly is a good player and could make it at county level but the lad has absolutely no interest in football. The club have a hard time keeping him involved, not a mad drinker or anything but no real interest, strange but true.

dodo

donegal gael

kevin mc meniman is woppa.. good wee player.. i'd say it miht be the end of the road for sweeney, roper, campbell maybe devenney

jodyb

Quote from: donegal gael on September 27, 2007, 06:04:31 PM
kevin mc meniman is woppa.. good wee player.. i'd say it miht be the end of the road for sweeney, roper, campbell maybe devenney
Sure devenney's played little more than a cameo role the last couple of years. Pity to see such a precocious talent go to waste. What's his beef anyway?

orangeman

I think there's going to be a clear out ! Mc Ivor wouldn't have went back until the messers were sent packing !

Uladh

They've been his messers for long enough now and he did nothing

tyroneman

Who should go?

Sweeney, McFadden and Devenney for 3................

orangeman

I think Mc Ivor has been given assurances that he can do what he wants in terms of chopping players from the squad etc. Don't like naming names but you could be right there Tyroneman. And that's just for starters.