Students in Belfast's Holyland

Started by Guillem2, September 26, 2007, 08:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

"The" Ardoyne, "The" short strand, "The" Falls. You both may be right, and yet wrong. I believe the increasing use of "the" in front of these comes from the news broadcasters. They always refer to it as "The ardoyne area of belfast". Its just led to that being shortened to simply, the ardoyne.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on September 26, 2007, 06:22:05 PM
Some of the carry on by students in South Belfast is a disgrace. I don't condone violence but if this action was taken by locals you can't help but understand their frustration at the lake of action by the authorities over many years.
Aye, the students make a bit of noise, lets go breaking windows and burning random cars, that'll teach them!  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 26, 2007, 09:37:58 PM
Some of the carry on by students in South Belfast is a disgrace. I don't condone violence but if this action was taken by locals you can't help but understand their frustration at the lake of action by the authorities over many years.
Aye, the students make a bit of noise, lets go breaking windows and burning random cars, that'll teach them!  ::)
POG, we got into this in a similar vein a few weeks back in the scum of the earth thread. Unfortunately its a mindset in south belfast.

Puckoon

Hurler on the Bitch

A lesson in the Vernacular: The Falls and Shankill always had "THE" in front... Ardoyne - never... ie.. "I got my fu*k kicked in in Ardoyne" - Short Strand - "He's that stupid bastard from from Short Strand - steal the eye out of your fuckin head!" -- Ballymurphy never had a The .... i.e. "That dirty shower of c**ts from Ballymurphy" ... The MARKET (s) IS NOT PLURAL - "She's a dirty tr**p from the Market - suck an orange through a garden hose so she could" ..... Braniel is THE BRANIEL as it is The Braniel Estate "That dirtbag at Milltown was from The Braniel - pity they didn't do him right on the M1" ALSO in Belfast if somebody says "Your Ma's an owl H" - that means WHORE pronounced 'hure' .... Class dismissed!

Hurler on the Bitch

No shit! Ask anyone from THE MARKET where they are from and that is what they will say ... it's another Army / bbc invention like THE ARDOYNE (Paddy Ashdown was great at this on old clips of the Troubles ...(best clipped English accent for this - "we were in THE ARDOYNE DISTRICT when a sniper opened up on our platoon from THE BOGSIDE ... We immediately sought cover in THE CROSSMAGLEN AREA until we called in reinforcements from our base in NEWRY  ....... Markets? Only is one Market area - historically and physically .....

Puckoon

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on September 26, 2007, 10:25:50 PM
No shit! Ask anyone from THE MARKET where they are from and that is what they will say ... it's another Army / bbc invention like THE ARDOYNE (Paddy Ashdown was great at this on old clips of the Troubles ...(best clipped English accent for this - "we were in THE ARDOYNE DISTRICT when a sniper opened up on our platoon from THE BOGSIDE ... We immediately sought cover in THE CROSSMAGLEN AREA until we called in reinforcements from our base in NEWRY  ....... Markets? Only is one Market area - historically and physically .....

Is that like Sinn Fein/IRA? :D

Hurler on the Bitch

By any chance was this girl au fait with the history of Belfast? The MARKET referred to is St George's Market... You may find references to MARKETS but I insist that the area is THE MARKET ...

hitzelsperger

lads i know the students aren't innocent of fcukin about but the residents take advantage of the situation to get damage property or get a scrap going. a friend of mine witnessed a fella and a girl walkin home from night/day out and walked past group of wee spidey bastids about 15-17years old, one of them stepped out and stood in the way of them but the couple walked around them only for the wee bastard to dig the fella in the back of the head and when he fell put the boot in him and as the girl tried to stop she got a slap in the mouth. now that was totally unprovoked attack.

also was present in a house party one night, and will admit it wasnt the quietest, got a knock at the door from local heavies and after that the party finished, as revellers walked up the street one fella was opened with a bat of some sort and a girl got a slap too...later that night the house in question got a gas cylinder through the window. and the locals say their tortured by students, they just love getting a chance to assault the 'culchies'...pure scumbags!

Hurler on the Bitch

Maybe this could have a thread of its own??

Hurler on the Bitch

Take your point - however the defining point would be to ask somebody - from 40 upwards - who lives opposite St George's Market where they live and the answer will be THE MARKET... I get the train with a lady who has taught in the area for thirty years and she told me that the plural is not how the natives see themselves...

Hurler on the Bitch

Also ask yourself the question "What would Jesus or Elvis have said and I tell you that Jesus would have said MARKET (Hebrew) and Elvis would have said MARKET AH HUA"! (deep south for Market) - THAT SOLVES THAT THEN AS WE WERE GETTING INTO THE BORING BIT!

redandblackjack

RU serious? Understand their frustration? Torching student's cars, catch a grip would ye! If there was a problem then the residents should have done what any 'normal' person would have done and that is to phone the police....the shit that went on last year with vandalism to cars with paint stripper in the first week of term was bad enough but to set cars alight is not understandable at all!

On the topic of them spidey b*stards that hang around the place should the peelers not be doing more with these wee knackers? Constantly breaking into houses and hanging around street corners threatening people, launching glass bottles and sniffing glue! Would you understand the students frustration Aristotle if a group of students gave these wee shit bags a beating some night?

Some residents get on fine with the students and go out of their way to do so..........a few other i.e. the oscar winners from spotlight are hell bent on stirring it up (aswell as some students). To have an grown man follow students around at 2am with a video camera and threatening them is stirring shit imo!

Someone set out last nite to put a marker down for the rest of the year by torching cars- f**k me, what would have happened if the houses had caught fire?! No excuse.

Square Ball

Agree with Hurler on this one, its the Market from the natives and the Markets from the outsiders, trust me on this one, me da was one!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Na ya ballox ya a native of the markets!!  :D
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid