Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 21, 2007, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 21, 2007, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 21, 2007, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 21, 2007, 03:38:36 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 21, 2007, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 21, 2007, 03:34:32 PM
The GAA is not expensive[/b]

why dont you have your own house gnevin ?
Because i'm 22 and just got my first proper job out of college ,that and i dont fancy moving to meath

sure why not save your cash , not boozing, not buying video games etc and use the money to purchase your own home in DUBLIN ?

houses are not that exp..
loads of people have two or three...

What has this got to do with the GAA?

proving a point that in reality and economics to an honest but (apologies) inexperienced lad - that because you can afford tickets , booze, video games
it doesn't mean other people can.
If you did have that mortgage - how would that affect your ability to pay for the above? You are hardly gonna live at home indefinitely.

We are not talking individual match day tickets, we are talking some kind of system that deducts a percentage of match ticket (say 50% of total ticket cost) for families
so they still pay, but as every penny counts towards mortgage and other costs families woudl welcome this.
We wont lose disenfranchised people through this ,and the positive PR for the organisation woudl be massive.
Lets face it, we dont need the gate receipts as much as we did in times past. Advertising, merchandising etc cover that. There are more games than ever and attendences are at an all time high.
It makes sense (business sense) to cut prices a wee bit to encourage even more to attend.
You prob wont believe, but you will see this in action over time yourself.
You wont have to live in meath...still plenty of value round clonee...just before the border!

80 euros gos a lot further in blanch shopping centre for a family than going to croker...

Lynchbhoy i agree with you here , I agree the GAA should make further efforts to discount tickets for loyal fans but they do allot more than most and are by no means out pricing the common fan.

The trouble with cutting prices is i know no one for who cost is a reason they dont go to the GAA , maybe you know some
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Lone Shark on September 21, 2007, 01:49:20 PM

This debate is gone so far off the topic that I think it's almost concluded. The GAA already does plenty for low profile games, but some parents still feel like the big ones cost too much. Other people (myself included) feel that kids don't get the difference between the big and the small games, and that if they really want to be brought, then it should cost as not to do so is ensuring that both the GAA foregoes revenue and another adult supporter (who might be a much more fervent supporter) can't attend.

I do think that parents sometimes presume the child thinks like they do - case in point:

Quote from: Louth Exile on September 21, 2007, 11:49:17 AM
Another example, Louth played in the TM final last year before the Mayo/Dublin semi. Wanted to bring the young lad to see Louth captain (who is a club man) lift a trophy in the Hogan for the first time in 49 years. Given the demand for the second game I had no problem paying full price for both tickets. The kid was handed the louth goalies gloves as he walked down the steps and I think that it is a memory that will live with him.

Did your child actually say to you unprompted that he wanted to see a Louth man lift a trophy in the Hogan for the first time in 49 years? I don't ask to be facetious, but I think that particualr sight would have meant the world to you, a passionate Louth GAA supporter, and by the transitive property you assume your kid had to be there too. In actual fact your kid was another Dublin or Mayo supporter who couldn't get a ticket - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's only fair in that circumstance to pay full price.

In fairness, you haven't suggested that it should have been anything less than full price, I am aware of this.

The touch with the goalies gloves was very nice, but I stand by my logic that that incident could just as easily have happened after an NFL match or a championship backdoor game in Navan or Parnell Park.

I take your point LS and it is a fair one. No, he did not ask to go to the game, but given that we know the louth captain of last year and he got a genuine buzz from watching him lift the Div 2 trophy earlier that year I knew he would enjoy seeing the same in Croker.

Personally I have great memories of being 8/9 and watching the great Kerry team in AI semis in croker. It is something that lives with you even at that age and although you certainly don't appreciate the finer points of the game at that age, even at that age I was aware of how good a team I was watching and I can vivdly remember getting them to sign an autograph book after a training session in Tralee. My point here is that if I was not brought to this games during my youth would I have such a love for the game today?? I somehow doubt it.

Was I brought to any of those AI finals? Not a chance, those tickets were for adults only. Same as it is with my own kid today!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com