Kieran McGeeney is New Kildare Manager

Started by Seany, September 18, 2007, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Balboa

Quote from: orangeman on September 20, 2007, 10:44:13 AM
Settle down lads - Paddy's a legend in Armagh - a nice fella - not arrogant - you need to know the man before you start throwing the brickbats !

I hear he a while man for the gambling, topical i know.......

Over the Bar

QuoteJeez you'd think he'd want to take at least one year out (though I suppose he had a relatively play-free summer).

Undoubtedly Geezer has finished his playing days a tormented soul without the 2nd AI that he so craved.  The only way he can now exorcise his demons is to win one as a manager and has obviously wasted no time in setting about acomplishing that.  Only then can he sleep easy.

fcuksake

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 20, 2007, 10:45:38 PM
QuoteJeez you'd think he'd want to take at least one year out (though I suppose he had a relatively play-free summer).

Undoubtedly Geezer has finished his playing days a tormented soul without the 2nd AI that he so craved.  The only way he can now exorcise his demons is to win one as a manager and has obviously wasted no time in setting about acomplishing that.  Only then can he sleep easy.

he wont get his 2nd AI this year, maybe a leinster title (at most)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

orangeman

I suppose he has to start somewhere and Kildare appear to have a good young side.

Barney

Mickey Moran is now being linked on the BBC teletext

Over the Bar

Quotehe wont get his 2nd AI this year, maybe a leinster title (at most)

Maybe a case of stating the obvious there!  :-\

Sandy Hill

From BBC NI Sport -----  Last Updated: Tuesday, 2 October 2007, 21:25 GMT 22:25 UK
QuoteMcGeeney is new Kildare manager 

Kieran McGeeney succeeds John Crofton in the Kildare job
Former Armagh captain Kieran McGeeney has been appointed as the new manager of the Kildare football team.
McGeeney's appointment was ratified by the Kildare County Board on Tuesday night after chairman Syl Merrins' proposal was accepted.

The Mullaghbawn man, who retired from intercounty playing duty last month, is expected to be joined in Kildare by ex-Armagh assistant Paul Grimley.

McGeeney takes over from John Crofton who stepped down during the summer.

The Armagh man appears to have all the attributes to become a successful intercounty manager.

His former county team-mate Oisin McConville said last month:"Armagh's loss will be somebody else's gain and every county in Ireland will want to bring him (McGeeney) in."

McGeeney's inspirational captaincy helped Armagh win the 2002 All-Ireland title.

He was part of the Armagh panel for more than 15 years and was named the official GAA Footballer of the Year in 2002.

McGeeney claimed his first Ulster Championship medal in 1999 and he went on to claim five more provincial medals as well as three All Star awards.

The centre half-back also captained Ireland's International Rules team last year and he won provincial club medals with his native Mullaghbawn and Dublin outfit Na Fianna.

McGeeney's commitment was a huge factor in Armagh's successes over the last decade.

His discipline off the field was almost as legendary as his tenacity on the pitch.

Indeed, when commentators spoke about the professional approach which had became part of the modern intercounty game, invariably McGeeney's name cropped up.

>:(
"Stercus accidit"

Over the Bar

DMarsden

Probably to reflect what most armagh people think... why have we snubbed those two great men and let them walk into someone else's county when we had every opportunity to make use of them

Dinny Breen

Nice to see it confimed, credit to Syl Merrins the Kildare Chairman, he took this upon himself. Must be first time a Nurney man ever did anything useful. Nice to see a 3 year deal in place as well..
#newbridgeornowhere

Over the Bar

QuoteProbably to reflect what most armagh people think... why have we snubbed those two great men and let them walk into someone else's county when we had every opportunity to make use of them

So you'd prefer to have McGeeney as Armagh manager than McDonnell? 

Grimley has proved that Armagh board right in their decision.  If he's prepared to be McGeeney's no. 2, he's not the man for the Armagh helm.

DMarsden

Happens that i would prefer geezer to mcdonnell but that is not the point. he wanted to play which was rebuffed and failing that he should have been kept on the ship in some capacity. you don't come across men with that stature many times in a generation.

The comment about grimley has no rationale attached to it.

the Deel Rover

Did Mc Geeney apply for the Armagh managers job? If he didn't how could he get it?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

loughshore lad

Quote from: DMarsden on October 03, 2007, 11:15:07 AM

Happens that i would prefer geezer to mcdonnell but that is not the point. he wanted to play which was rebuffed and failing that he should have been kept on the ship in some capacity. you don't come across men with that stature many times in a generation.

The comment about grimley has no rationale attached to it.

Are you saying Geezer wanted to continue playing but McDonnell said no?