Kieran McGeeney is New Kildare Manager

Started by Seany, September 18, 2007, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 19, 2007, 09:55:38 AM
QuoteDinny,
are the rumours that Grimley will be part of the package?

Seemingly that's a stuumbling block, Grimly is not keen on the travel from Armagh (McGeeney is based in Dublin). It would only work I believe if Grimley was on board, interesting few days ahead...
I presume horses mouth....from you friend....

Sandy Hill

Quotegiven his lack of personality

Have you ever met this man? I don't think you have or you wouldn't be making a daft statement like this. McGeeney is a very personable and decent fella and good company.

If he's going to Kildare and if he's taking Paul Grimley with him, all I can say is

"Shame on Armagh Co Board in letting these 2 outstanding men slip out of their grasp? What a mistake!"

"Stercus accidit"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 19, 2007, 10:47:36 AM

Have you ever met this man? I don't think you have or you wouldn't be making a daft statement like this. McGeeney is a very personable and decent fella and good company.

If he's going to Kildare and if he's taking Paul Grimley with him, all I can say is

"Shame on Armagh Co Board in letting these 2 outstanding men slip out of their grasp? What a mistake!"

imo it would be too soon for McGeeney to coach/manage armagh

stpauls

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 19, 2007, 10:49:46 AM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 19, 2007, 10:47:36 AM

imo it would be too soon for McGeeney to coach/manage armagh

i am of the same opinion myself LB, i think he should take some time to himself, relax for a bit and in a few months/years go into club management, and then try his hand at inter-county. although this is geezer we are talking about, always aims high!!

Sandy Hill

Quoteimo it would be too soon for McGeeney to coach/manage armagh

You're possibly correct lynchboy, but I'd still like to have him involved with the Armagh set-up. The man is a legend in our County and would ensure a tremendous work ethic and total commitment. As for Grimley, I always felt that he was a good tactician and McGeeney would seem to have endorsed this view if he is taking him with him.
"Stercus accidit"

lynchbhoy

it doesnt matter how good the guy was as a player, and how respected he was amongst his own team mates.
There will ALWAYS be some bit of jealousy/narkiness from ex-team mates and esp some of the younger more arrogant panel members.
Once you get that in the dressing room, there is a snowballing effect and its curtains.
Think - Steve Staunton.

McGeeney would be fine if he headed off to another club side to learn his trade - like McNulty did. He (mcnulty- but dont ask me which is which) obv will want the armagh job in a few years time,and by then will have some good teams under his managerial belt - picking up the good and bad aspects of management along the way.

Its a proven template for retired players, and any player who tried to buck the trend (by going straight/too soon into mgt with his own county team) usually ends up failing.
I think recently Sligo or Roscomman (??) have found that, and previous examples remind me of Ogie Moran in Kerry.

IMO

Grimley would be great for any county.

thebandit

You are thinking of Justin McNulty who manage Mullahoran in Cavan - very good manager.

McGeeney and Justin would have been two good men to have over a county minor team/development squad

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thebandit on September 19, 2007, 11:23:02 AM
You are thinking of Justin McNulty who manage Mullahoran in Cavan - very good manager.

McGeeney and Justin would have been two good men to have over a county minor team/development squad

he's gone from mullahoran and now managing my local team - st brigids in Dublin

the other mcnulty is prob a better bet as a dev squad guy - as he coaches youth players..

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Over the Bar

QuoteHave you ever met this man? I don't think you have or you wouldn't be making a daft statement like this. McGeeney is a very personable and decent fella and good company.

Yes I've met him and I'mnot saying he'snot good company however  I meant he's a bit stoic in terms of his media persona if he's to be the front man and Grimley the worker behind the scenes.

fcuksake

yep, 99% confirmed, Grimley will be the manager with McGeeney 2nd in command
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: fcuksake on September 19, 2007, 03:24:09 PM
yep, 99% confirmed, Grimley will be the manager with McGeeney 2nd in command
thats good news for Kildare.
They have some good young talent there. Could be dark horses for next years leinster championship now they have a management that is competent rather than inept

best of luck to them

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

BenDover

A great managerial appointment by Kildare.

Grimley came on board with the Ogs minors the time we won the Ulster Minor competition, his tactics and movitivational skills were top drawer. This along with Geezer's sheer will to be the best in evreything he does should be a good combination.

Star Spangler

Brilliant news for Kildare.  Their half-arsed preparatory methods have been legendary over the last few years.  If there's one thing for sure, Grimley and McGeeney will bring the latest thinking in training and fitness regimes.  Great stuff - maybe now I can put up a Kildare flag in the summer.  :P