Darby's Goal

Started by Barney, September 18, 2007, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zX-DDznyk

Being too young to even know about football at the time can anyone tell me was the goal scored in injury time? Did Kerry get a chance to get back? Was it as good a game as people say?

Looking at old footage of Matt Connor he certainly looks one hell of a class act.

Bord na Mona man

There was a about a minute left.
After the goal, Kerry had a half chance of a point, Tom Spillane took a shot from an angle but it dropped in front of the goal.
Offaly had a chance to go two ahead ahead when Gerry Carroll shot wide, however an extra point would have taken the lustre off Darby's goal slightly  ;D

The biggest reason the goal was scored was that Kerry had panicked into retreat.
The ball pumped outfield from deep in the Kerry half was by Mikey Sheehy, their corner forward. The foul at midfield was by their full forward Liston. The ball played to Darby from the Kerry '45 was by the Offaly full back(!) Liam Connor and the last Kerry player that the shot went by was Jack O'Shea, their midfielder.
As mentioned in the clip, the Kerry management allowed the wing back Tommy Doyle follow Darby into the corner back position. A natural full or corner back would have played Darby from behind and come out attacking the ball. Micko could hardly be described as a tactical genius having allowed his side's shape to unravel so badly.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 18, 2007, 07:59:27 PM
There was a about a minute left.
After the goal, Kerry had a half chance of a point, Tom Spillane took a shot from an angle but it dropped in front of the goal.
Offaly had a chance to go two ahead ahead when Gerry Carroll shot wide, however an extra point would have taken the lustre off Darby's goal slightly  ;D

The biggest reason the goal was scored was that Kerry had panicked into retreat.
The ball pumped outfield from deep in the Kerry half was by Mikey Sheehy, their corner forward. The foul at midfield was by their full forward Liston. The ball played to Darby from the Kerry '45 was by the Offaly full back(!) Liam Connor and the last Kerry player that the shot went by was Jack O'Shea, their midfielder.
As mentioned in the clip, the Kerry management allowed the wing back Tommy Doyle follow Darby into the corner back position. A natural full or corner back would have played Darby from behind and come out attacking the ball. Micko could hardly be described as a tactical genius having allowed his side's shape to unravel so badly.

Thanks - thats another 25 years in theraphy to re-banish it from the memory. Still twas good to see Seamus hale and hearty on Sunday with the rest of the jubilee. I hope he lives to at least 150 - so we are constantly reminded to keep plugging away to the very end ;)
KERRY 3:7

Farrandeelin

Jay Barney, I thought you were older than that! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

I seen my first All-Ireland in 1978 at the age of 7. Up to the Darby goal in 1982, i had never seen Kerry lose a Championship match. You can imagine because of not knowing earlier teams/counties that had won AIs i thought that Kerry winning Sam was going to go on forever. Really, it was a momentus occasion in the Country, everybody was so happy to see a different county other than Kerry (and even Dublin) win Sam in such dramatic circumstances.

That Kerry team of the 75-86 era is the best team ever and only for 2 late goals one in the AI of 1982 and one in the Munster Final of 1983 would have won 9 in a row!

magickingdom

i'd like to thank darby for the undying hunger that continues to drive kerry football forward, it was there for all to see on the pitch on sunday and in the thousands and thousands that greeted the team on their return home. the job is nearly half done in three more years it will be finished and seamus's goal can be put to bed  ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: magickingdom on September 18, 2007, 08:46:41 PM
i'd like to thank darby for the undying hunger that continues to drive kerry football forward, it was there for all to see on the pitch on sunday and in the thousands and thousands that greeted the team on their return home. the job is nearly half done in three more years it will be finished and seamus's goal can be put to bed  ;)

Dream on baby! ;D

Frank Casey

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2007, 09:30:29 PM

Dream on baby! ;D

Martin Luther King - "I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

And I have a dream about completing the five in a row ;D ;D ;D

From the Bunker

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 18, 2007, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2007, 09:30:29 PM

Dream on baby! ;D

Martin Luther King - "I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

And I have a dream about completing the five in a row ;D ;D ;D

Wait and see if ye can manage 3 in a row first before you start counting anymore chickens.

Frank Casey

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2007, 09:38:51 PM

Wait and see if ye can manage 3 in a row first before you start counting anymore chickens.

The hens are laying, the hay shed is full, the turf is all home and the canister is heading for the Inny Tavern in Dromid parish. Please forgive my optimism.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Barney on September 18, 2007, 07:42:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zX-DDznyk

Looking at old footage of Matt Connor he certainly looks one hell of a class act.

Silky!

Kerry Mike

Was great to see the Offaly team and was delighted they got a good reception, my pinting partner over the weekend, AZ Offaly, was seen supporting the Kingdom so twas the least I could do to give them an auld round of applause.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

I knew I could rely on you KM :D, Glad you were back in time for them coming out :D ;)

orangeman

In 25 years time even 50 they'll still be talking about that goal - even long after his demise. It was so historic.

By the way, it was amaxing the number of sets of brothers in the Offaly team / panel that year.

AZOffaly

5 sets of brothers, and most of them playing as well.

The Lowrys, Mick, Brendan and Seanie;
The Connors, Matt and Richie;
The O'Connors, Liam and Tomás;
The Darbys, Stephen and Seamus;
The Fitzgeralds, Mick and Pat.