The Connacht football championship

Started by Pietas, September 17, 2007, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietas

Anyone think we could be back to the days when Connacht was known as the 'Dark Province'?

Sligo were very poor representatives of the province this year. O'Hara was terrible in Croke Park (if he was really injured he shouldn't have played, besides he seems to talk the talk rather than walk the walk).

Galway collapsed against Meath, who in turn collapsed against Cork, who in turn collapsed against Kerry.

But they do have AI minor champions, though Roscommon seniors are still waitin for the benefit of that.

Can Johnno work the oracle again with the green and red?  He had problems all over the field against Derry and Conor Mortimer is beginning to resemble a beaten docket.

What do ye think?  It doesn't look great...
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

SLIGONIAN

I wouldnt be too rash, Sligo played bad and we didnt perform in any of the games this year. Only that our full back line is unbelievable did we win connaght. I have doubts about many positions and players. I do know there is way more potential in this team and I hope brehony brings it out of them.

People in Mayo are convinced O Mahony will turn things round and hes bought himself time saying 3 yrs to win all ireland etc but I think they will be better next year but not near all ireland.

Galway, ros and leitrim dont see much success on its to any of them. Galway are in decline I think. Ros are very poor and leitrim are fighters but no class.

I would expect all teams to lift it nxt year and wanting to beat us but we will more than likely have a home semi final draw which if we get ros or leitrim means we will make final again.

Mayo I see as our biggest threat.

You obviously dont see many Sligo matches to think you can judge o hara as not walking the walk. Hes been brilliant for us over the last few years. The goal against galway was crucial.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

westmayo

2007 has been a poor year for football in Connacht (Galway minors apart, showed great determination to come back in both the semi and the final.)
It was great to see Sligo win the Connacht title this year, but as was expected that was they're AI final and they didn't even trouble Cork. I'd say 2008 will see a return to the Mayo/Galway domination of the province. Both sides had very poor years, Galway with a new manager who might be able to shake some life into the side. While this is the time for JOM to show his stuff for Mayo.
It will be interesting to see who if any decide enough is enough on the the mayo team and hang up the boots, and if they don't will JOM let youth have it's chance and leave them out. Same as last year though a full back is still needed.
Both Mayo and Galway have won U21 AI's in the last few years and it's time for some of these lads to really come through. As for Ross' I just can't see them doing anything until JM is shown the door, but they look like their stuck with him for another year at least.

From the Bunker

Connacht had a golden era during the mid 90's to the early 00's. Mayo, Sligo and to a larger degree Galway held their own. All three counties are now in transition and this often takes time for a re-emergence. The future does not seen all doom and gloom. Galway minors Yesterday, Roscommon Minors 2006. Galway under 21's 2001 & 2004. Mayo under 21's 2006. That added to club success of Salthill, Crossmolina, Ballina. Actually as a footnote; Sligo won their Connacht championship title 10 years after they should have. Sligo's best team since 75 was the 1997-2002 group. and were unlucky that both Mayo and Galway were very strong at the same time. But as the saying goes - "a risen tide lifts all boats".

Pietas

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 17, 2007, 02:14:56 PM

I would expect all teams to lift it nxt year and wanting to beat us but we will more than likely have a home semi final draw which if we get ros or leitrim means we will make final again.

Mayo I see as our biggest threat.

You obviously dont see many Sligo matches to think you can judge o hara as not walking the walk. Hes been brilliant for us over the last few years. The goal against galway was crucial.

Great goal against Galway, granted, but he didn't even break into a sprint in Croke Park.  He had some bizarre things to say to Marty Morrisey at half-time yesterday too.  He seems a bit full of himself, doesn't he?
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

magpie seanie

Very good post from From the Bunker. Nothing to add to that really.

SLIGONIAN

I couldnt argue with bunker on any of your points, well made fair play.

People have this perception of ohara. Ive met him you obviously havent  so dont judge a book before you even see it. You dont know him. Im sick of having to kinda stick up for him when its just dillusional stuff in peoples heads. Ive seen most Sligo matches league and championship since 1989 so trust me when I say hes absolutely fanatastic footballer who but for the limitations of the talent around him would of achieved alot more. I really havnt seen any player like him or great to watch. Absolute privilege to have watched and supported him throgh the years.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Pietas

Fair enough.  Any truth to the rumour fianna fail are courting him.?

Rossfan

Quote from: Pietas on September 17, 2007, 01:47:39 PM
Galway ....do have AI minor champions, though Roscommon seniors are still waitin for the benefit of that.

For Fcuk sake we only won the Minor All Ireland in 2006 - only 50 weeks ago. Will ya give them a chance....
Any way I hope they dont all come onto the Senior panel till Maughtan is gone to Hell out of our County because he'll feck them up with all the army training.
As for the future all round in Connacht - neither Galway or Mayo can be as bad again,we wont improve till 2009 at the earliest,Leitrim heart but not much talent while sligo will likely have their hunger sated and like Westmeath and Laois will have to wait for another team to arise before they do anything more.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Odds and history tell us that Connacht will probably revert back to a Galway/Mayo shootout again next year even though both sides look short of challenging for an AI. The underage production lines seem to be working smoothly enough in both counties and in Roscommon last year too. I think it'll be a tough couple of years for Connacht but you never know what's around the corner.

mannix

Remember 1993, the beating against cork for mayo.Dark days followed by a good run for a few years  but ultimately no glory.Mayo today can count nothing short of sam as glory, connaught is nice but is worth nothing in the greater view.Galway likewise.The rest are happy with a good showing and delighted with a connaught title.
2008 will no doubt bring a new wave of enthusiasism to all but only mayo and galway have the players to live with the big boys.

Goin Down

Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2007, 09:15:16 PM
Any way I hope they dont all come onto the Senior panel till Maughtan is gone to Hell out of our County because he'll feck them up with all the army training.

I remember hearing Maughan had them doing yoga earlier in the year! :D ;)
Remember This.

Kilconly SuperSub

I believe Galway were badly manged for the last few years. I think they will improve next year but real sucess (or competing for it) is about 2-3 years away, it depends on this years minors, they're is real hope in a few of them and Galway have a fairly good success at bringing them thru. Out team will be going thru a fairly heavy change in the next few years but young teams have habits of doing things people least expect.

Here's for hoping anyway.

myball22

Also in the bad old days there was no back door for sides to improve. You may wonder what a back door would have done for some Connacht teams in the early and mid nighties. I would say that we are at a low ebb but nothing like the dark old days.

magpie seanie

It won't be long 'til Connacht football is good again with Mayo and Galway winning it.