Footballer of the Year 2007

Started by seanobrien12, September 08, 2007, 10:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: paddypastit on September 11, 2007, 10:57:18 PMAgree completely with the comment about Moyles over Cullen.  For me Cullen wouldn't even be in the top half dozen Dublin players (in no particular order get behind Cluxton, Henry, Griffin, Whelan, Ryan and B Brogan) this year much less Leinster or the country.

Again agree about Cullen. Dublins best defender this year was Barry Cahill though, head and shoulders above everyone else.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

QuoteDublins best defender this year was Barry Cahill though, head and shoulders above everyone else.

Christ I must be losing it - I agree with an Eastlongforder.  :P  Cahill is going to find it hard to win an All Star in the company of O Se, O Mahony, Young, Spillane and O'Leary, which is very bad luck for him.  They'll probably give David Henry one to sell the papers.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

If Henry gets one  ::) If Tomas O'Se and O'Leary have good finals then I fear Cahill will lose out on a wing back slot. Marc O'Se has one of the corners sown up for me (and should get the footballer of the year). Other certs are Nicholas Murphy and Declan O'Sullivan.

QuoteChrist I must be losing it

U lost it a long time ago Billy  ;)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Frank Casey

A South Kerry double

Declan O'Sullivan - Player of the Year
Killian Young - Young Player of the year

Assuming a Kerry win
KERRY 3:7

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 12, 2007, 11:41:18 AM
Quote from: paddypastit on September 11, 2007, 10:57:18 PMAgree completely with the comment about Moyles over Cullen.  For me Cullen wouldn't even be in the top half dozen Dublin players (in no particular order get behind Cluxton, Henry, Griffin, Whelan, Ryan and B Brogan) this year much less Leinster or the country.

Again agree about Cullen. Dublins best defender this year was Barry Cahill though, head and shoulders above everyone else.

They should throw Cullen up into the forwards and put Cahill centre back. He was very good there in 2005.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on September 13, 2007, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 12, 2007, 11:41:18 AM

They should throw Cullen up into the forwards and put Cahill centre back. He was very good there in 2005.
Id agree with that
also agree with croi and billy

player of the year, either murphy of Cork or Declan OSullivan/Tomas O'Se of Kerry.
Tommy Freeman would deserve it no less than the above for such an exceptional year.

Wee Roddy

Those thinking of Cullen, O'Shea ,OMahonny, Cahill, Spillane etc are forgetting, and it is not just that I am from Tyrone, but Conor Gormley WILL get Tyrones solitary All Star this year so where do they all fit in? I think that Moyles will lose out and O'Shea is another certainty. It would he harsh to leave Ger Spillane out as well. Cullen in my opinion does not merit a nomination!

oneillcup2007

Conor Gormley and Sean cavanagh must be on the team. 

paddypastit

Lads - what are ye on!! Gormley has no chance and Cavanagh has even less of a chance of an All Star or Team of the year place.  There are only two credible candidates from Ulster for an award - McCloy and Freeman.  After that, no chance... and that is nothing to do with the fact that I'm not from Ulster - just plain common sense based on the season of football that we've had so far... and the final - the single most influential game when it comes to All Star selection - is yet to come
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Wee Roddy

Oh you are so wrong. Conor Gomrley got man ofthe match while marking Tommy Freeman in the Ulster final lets not forget and he did not exactly cover himself in glory against Mark O'Se either.

Doea anyone else think Gormley has no chance??

blanketattack

Ulster mightn't have had any semi-finalists for the last 2 years but it's still the toughest province to win with at least 2 if not 3 tough games guaranteed compared to just one for the other provinces. Any team that wins Ulster should get at least one All-star automatically.

Uladh

Why would cullen even get a nomination?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Uladh on September 13, 2007, 03:28:58 PM

Why would cullen even get a nomination?
it would be a fairly cheeky nomination alright  :P

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: oneillcup2007 on September 13, 2007, 02:13:02 PM
Conor Gormley and Sean cavanagh must be on the team. 

:D :D :D :D tom fool writing that with his rose tinted coloured glasses.

supersarsfields

I'll stick my head on the line and say I think Gormely will get one aswell. Canavagh hasn't a hope neither has anyone else in Tyrone. But I think Gormley's virtually held that Tyrone defence together by himself at times.