Ulster All-Stars are in!

Started by Maguire01, September 07, 2007, 11:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Agree Nirco that Dooher should have been honoured - Enda is a great player as well and helped Dery get to the quarters - But this shouldn't get in the way of the fact that Dooher was simply outstanding against the league champs who were on the day big favourites to beat Tyrone.

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 11, 2007, 03:27:23 PM
Quoteone swallow does not make a summer, he was tripe against fermanagh, monaghan and meath

Hardly fair considering the man was carrying an injury hence the performances apart from Donegal.  But that performance alone should have earned him an All Star.  As FOSB stated, he did Captain his County to an Ulster Title and his Man Of The Match display was against the NFL Champs.  Sure Enda scored a few points against Antrim, he should get the All Star instead!

Dickhead! AllStars are judged on a Championship SEASON... Dooher played well in 1 game out of Tyrone's 4... Muldoon played well in 4 out of 6 games. It's not rocket Science!

Balboa

Quote from: orangeman on September 11, 2007, 03:29:51 PM
Agree Nirco that Dooher should have been honoured - Enda is a great player as well and helped Dery get to the quarters - But this shouldn't get in the way of the fact that Dooher was simply outstanding against the league champs who were on the day big favourites to beat Tyrone.

I dont think so, Donegal were slight favourites going into that match. Considering how Donegal performed in the championship, a poor Armagh team should have beaten them, i would not be crowing too much about ONE good performance.

orangeman

Individual honours are really not that important and are usually not the universal choice(s) of everyone - after next Sunday there will only be one AI winner - and only one provincial winner x 4 -

Fear Boirche

Think having Cavanagh at wing-forward made sense as it accomodates both Fergal Doherty and Eoin Lennon at midfield, who both deserved a nod. Sure, everyone plays with a three-man midfield these days don't they?

ExiledGael

Agreed Dooher was amazing against Donegal, possibly the best performance I've ever seen from a half-forward i think, though Muldoon ran him close in Cavan.
But that was his sole contribution to the year. Enda Muldoon was excellent against Antrim, brilliant against Mayo, where he scored probably the goal of the year, and inspirational against Laois, where he was the only forward not to score, yet totally outshone any of them. Anyone who seen him in Breffni Park that day would have to agree he deserved the award

Maguire01

Regarding Dooher, he played well against Donegal - very well in fact. But Monaghan showed that beating Donegal wasn't the big scalp that it was made out to be after the Ulster semi-final. None of the players on the All-Star team were placed on the basis of one game - fo most it was consistently good/great over a number of games.

Oh, and my understanding is that it based on the full championship (i.e. not just the Ulster but not counting the league).

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 11, 2007, 07:02:26 PM
Regarding Dooher, he played well against Donegal - very well in fact. But Monaghan showed that beating Donegal wasn't the big scalp that it was made out to be after the Ulster semi-final. None of the players on the All-Star team were placed on the basis of one game - fo most it was consistently good/great over a number of games.

Oh, and my understanding is that it based on the full championship (i.e. not just the Ulster but not counting the league).

In fairness Donegal werent the same team after Tyrone hammered them, they stumbled on after that match but never looked like contenders and it wasnt a great surprise Monaghan beat them well. Before they played Tyrone they were unbeaten in league and championship and looked a force but being so badly beaten by Tyrone really wrecked their season. Not sure how Armagh are suddenly a "poor" team either, beaten by a point by both Derry and Donegal and very unfortunate in both games. Dooher should have got the Ulster All-Star IMO and 7 for Monaghan looks too many but cant say Im overly bothered and wouldnt imagine the Tyrone lads are either.

marty88

Jeez you Tyrone lads aren't the brightest, of course Dooher doesn't deserve an Ulster all star, he only played one good game!
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: marty88 on September 12, 2007, 01:54:00 AM
Jeez you Tyrone lads aren't the brightest, of course Dooher doesn't deserve an Ulster all star, he only played one good game!

And Derry have won? (Still waiting)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 12, 2007, 11:31:40 AM
Quote from: marty88 on September 12, 2007, 01:54:00 AM

And Derry have won....

.....the last time they played Tyrone in the championship !  :-*

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 12, 2007, 11:35:46 AM
.....the last time they played Tyrone in the championship !  :-*

Something for your grandchildren lynchbhoy eh?  ;)

In all seriousness, all we're saying is that Dooher gave the best display, not good, not just great, but the best display,  bar none, in the middle third against Donegal, and played through significant injury to captain his side to the Anglo-Celt.

full back

Can anyone tell me, does any inter-county players gave a fcuk if they get one or not.
Ok, maybe a player who doesnt often get recognition i.e Monaghan players value it, but would any of the Tyrone players care if they got one or not?
Im not running the awards scheme down, just wondering about its value in the grand scheme of things

Will Hunting

Right teh, new team to accomodate Dooher:

John Devine (Tyrone), Michael McGoldrick (Derry), Kevin McCloy (Derry), Dessie Moan (Monaghan), Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Gary McQuaid (Monaghan), Damien Freeman (Monaghan), Fergal Doherty (Derry), Eoin Lennon (Monaghan), Enda Muldoon (Derry), Rory Woods (Monaghan), Brian Dooher (Tyrone), Paddy Bradley (Derry), Vincent Corey (Monaghan), Thomas Freeman (Monaghan).

You Tyrone ones happy now?... sure Kavanagh isn't a half-forward anyway  ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Will Hunting on September 12, 2007, 11:58:35 AM
You Tyrone ones happy now?... sure Kavanagh isn't a half-forward anyway  ;)

And Derry have won, this season? (Still waiting)