New Armagh Manager Announced

Started by Sandy Hill, September 05, 2007, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

to tell you the truth,id like it if Cavan County Board would get over themselves and offer Grimley his job as coach back.

Best of luck with yer New man anyway Armagh Heads.  :)

Over the Bar

QuoteWill the elderstatesmen resign ? Mc Geeeny is a Mullaghbawn man - I hope they all stay on - but they all owe Armagh nothing

I doubt if McDonnell will be urging them to stay on.  Armagh supporters will allow McDonnell 2-3 years grace to build a new team to challenge and keeping geezer and co well beyond their grazing years would smack too much of hanging onto JK's legacy.  I'd expect he'll be glad to see tha back of the old-guard from the outset to freshen things up and in case they might present any challenge to his authority.

orangeman

But Mc Geeney, Mc Grane, Mc Nulty are ALL leaders and will be needed.

Over the Bar

QuoteBut Mc Geeney, Mc Grane, Mc Nulty are ALL leaders and will be needed.

Every team needs a leader or 2 but not ones whose legs won't hold up come this time next year.  I'd be pretty sure McDonnell doesnt exactly NEED them and if the county board thought they were needed they'd have opted for the popular choice of Grimley.

rosskarr

Are we on religion this morning or what?

downtown

orangeman

Reading the papers this morning, it looks like Mc Geeney is set to spit the dummy out of the pram - this will be quite sad - I was hoping that something else more positive would bring the currtain down and not a stroy like this.

thebandit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2007, 12:04:52 PM

BTW, thebandit, I think you'll find Peter Rafferty was the manager when Stephen was on the u-21 team.

I must have been on the funny stuff writing that  :D

Bensars

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 06, 2007, 10:59:31 PM
QuoteWill the elderstatesmen resign ? Mc Geeeny is a Mullaghbawn man - I hope they all stay on - but they all owe Armagh nothing

I doubt if McDonnell will be urging them to stay on.  Armagh supporters will allow McDonnell 2-3 years grace to build a new team to challenge and keeping geezer and co well beyond their grazing years would smack too much of hanging onto JK's legacy.  I'd expect he'll be glad to see tha back of the old-guard from the outset to freshen things up and in case they might present any challenge to his authority.

There was a report on the radio this morning stating that Mc Geeney was upset at the way paul grimley was treated and it now meant the probabe end of his inter county career.

brokencrossbar1

QuoteMcGeeney welcomes McDonnell's Armagh appointment
07/09/2007 - 11:50:32

Armagh's 2002 All-Ireland winning captain Kieran McGeeney has welcomed the appointment of Peter McDonnell as the county's new senior football manager.

"He is an excellent manager. I had Peter with Mullaghbawn and he is also a close friend so I'm going to be fairly biased," McGeeney said of the new Armagh boss.

"He is a first rate manager and an excellent coach - he used to coach me for athletics for the 100 metres sprint and stuff like that. He was a European Championship himself at Junior level.

"He is a fantastic athlete and a great man and I wish him all the best."

However McGeeney did express some reservations that Paul Grimley, who was Armagh assistant manager until 2006, will not be part of the Orchard county set-up after he resigned as Cavan assistant in order to pursue the Armagh job.

"I would have to say that I am very disappointed with the way the Armagh County Board treated Paul Grimley. Paul and Brian McAlinden are two men that I would have come across who have impeccable integrity.

"Paul Grimley is an Armagh man to the backbone like Brian but these things happen and that is the way life goes," he added.

The 34-year-old McGeeney is confident new man McDonnell can make his mark on the inter-county scene, having worked under him when Mullaghbawn won the Armagh county title in 1995.

"Peter knows his stuff and I suppose Mullaghbawn was very lucky at that particular time with a very, very strong defence. We had the two McNultys, myself and Neil Smith so out of your first seven, six of them basically were on the county squad.

"We were always able to deal with Crossmaglen's forward power but we probably wouldn't have had the same power up front ourselves. Peter was able to mould us into a team. When I first started playing for Mullaghbawn in 1986 we were in the fourth division but we came up to win it so it was a good achievement."

McGeeney denied that the appointment of Grimley would have guaranteed him a place in the squad as an 'elder statesman' and he sees the future as a bright one for Armagh football regardless of his own plans.

"Paul is not stupid either and everybody has a shelf life about the amount of time you can play for.

"We have younger players coming through also that are fantastic players, the likes of Kieran McKeever and Brian Mallon and Kieran Toner and all of those younger boys. They are going to have to be moulded into a championship winning team, but that can be done in a year," said the Na Fianna clubman.

"Everybody thinks it takes a number of years to build a team, some people have done it in a year and for some people it takes ten years.

"It depends on the willingness of the players and I think that bunch of lads have a great willingness. There are some fantastic players coming through and I think it shouldn't be too long and hopefully in the near future they do well."

illdecide

Does peter McDonnell know the road to Lurgan? if so tell him not to bother as all the good players from there have retired :D :D

On a serious note i know nothing about that man, don't even know what he looks like. what type of guy is he?? Is he the "kick the door thru" guy or a quiet talk??
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hardy

I saw him interviewed on d'telly last night for a brief few moments. Not fair, I know, but first impression - politician.

Candyman

Imposerous

laughinpaddy

Quote from: illdecide on September 07, 2007, 01:43:31 PM
Does peter McDonnell know the road to Lurgan? if so tell him not to bother as all the good players from there have retired :D :D

On a serious note i know nothing about that man, don't even know what he looks like. what type of guy is he?? Is he the "kick the door thru" guy or a quiet talk??
He's the type of manager who if need be will kick the door thru, but mostly a quiet man who likes talking to players individually to see what makes them 'tick'
When he speaks people listen!
I ain't gettin on no plane!