New Armagh Manager Announced

Started by Sandy Hill, September 05, 2007, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

First things first, both men would have done a good job.  I do however feel that Peter's experience with winning at club level and the success he has achieved with the u-21's makes him a slightly better candidate.

He is also tactically very astute and generally could adapt his gameplan better than most to suit the flow of a game.

Grimley may have had great ideas and the respect of the players but he may have had too little experience of managing winning teams.  

The main thing is that the decision has been made, and suggestions of skullduggery and underhanded behaviour, guided by other people's agendas are not helpful and will undermine the man before he has had a chance to prove himself.

Move on, get behind him and wait to see what happens.

BTW, thebandit, I think you'll find Peter Rafferty was the manager when Stephen was on the u-21 team.

charlie stubbs

Uladh

Quote from: thebandit on September 06, 2007, 11:47:19 AM
dare I say it, he is the manager who has gotten the best out of SK.

when was this exactly?

Things must be very different up round McDonnell's former club. every person i've spoken to today, and there hasn't been much else talked about through the oul mobile, from all facets of armagh football are up in arms about this. even mullaghbawn men can't believe it.

I'm sure McDonnell will do his very best and might do a good job but the fact is the best man did not get the job.

Maximus Marillius

Uladh based on what, Grimleys six year stint as an assistant. Grimley has not proven himself as amanager, he has never had to tell a player he dropped, make sure he is in the mental frame, make those hards calls on championship day infront of everyone to be judged, and then cope with the pressure all of it brings...no he has not...now the other man Mc Donnell has...the facts all add up...not the what ifs...any thing that was done was done with the permission of big Joe, the manager

bennydorano

I'd have to agree that Grimley being the best man for the job is a tenuous claim, best supported of the candidates maybe.

Uladh

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 06, 2007, 12:22:55 PM
he has never had to tell a player he dropped, make sure he is in the mental frame, make those hards calls on championship day infront of everyone to be judged, and then cope with the pressure all of it brings...no he has not...

with the greatest of respect max, you don't really know what you are talking about. the above were things that all fell to grimley, not to joe. granted joe took the flak to the press afterwards but the praise with it. If you knew much you would know that grimley was also the manager in cavan so all of those things were under his unbrella there also, with keoghan being simply a front.

If McDonnell is the best we have to offer we are in trouble. the mullaghbawn players were this year looking rid of him mid season as his methods were ancient and his tactics non existent. he ulster championship this year was a penalty kick for that u21 team and truth be told they underachieved massively.

orangeman

At one stage I thougt they might bring Paul Grimley and Mc Donnell in together to keep everybody happy.

I wouldn't be too sure about that story about Joe Kernan staying on but there was a dispute about money ????? Sure Joe doesn't get paid ? Or does he ?

tyrone realist

Quote from: Uladh on September 06, 2007, 12:31:57 PM

If McDonnell is the best we have to offer we are in trouble. the mullaghbawn players were this year looking rid of him mid season as his methods were ancient and his tactics non existent. he ulster championship this year was a penalty kick for that u21 team and truth be told they underachieved massively.

"A penalty kick"? Considering Tyrone won the same AI at minor level and Down reached the AI Semi, I thought that an Ulster championship at u21 this year was far from "a penalty kick" for Armagh.

As much as it pains me to say it ;) good luck to him. There's nothing like having to prove everybody wrong that encourages success

mackers

I heard the crack was good last night in the hotel.  still the decision is made and as others have said they were two very strong candidates. We should row in behind McDonnell now.  I heard that Grimley did not leave the Cavan post because he thought he had the job but rather to place the committee under pressure to appoint him.
Surely the backroom team must include people outside of the South Armagh mafia ( Benny O'Kane maybe??)
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Orchard Warrior

I'd like to wish Peter McDonnell the very best with his new appointment.

Obviously the county board have been less than forthcoming with their reasons and the process has been underhand to say the least. McDonnell was the county board's choice many weeks ago and the time taken was an attempt to force grimley into declaring for his cavan job. having called their bluff, the county board had to work overtime justify overlooking Grimley. The final and most disappointing act was to deny the clubs their say on the matter, which was the point of last night's meeting.

John rafferty withdrew the day after the interviews. John had been well informed before hand of the county board's intention to install mcdonnell and the work already don to this end. he turned up to the interview and read a prepared statement, which took the county board apartment for their amateurish methods and their underhand dealings. he answered no questions.

none of these tip of the iceberg issues are the fault of peter mcdonnell, who i'm sure will do a good job for armagh.

Maximus Marillius

I hope Mr Mc Donnell has very thick skin,because he is going to get dogs abuse. Armag have slide, need to rebuild, but there are not many in Armagh prepared to wait for him to do this so they win their 24th All Ireland.

Candyman

I agree with Orchard warrior and wish Peter all the best!!!
I dont think its actually the appointment of Peter McDonnell thats annoying people so much, its the underhand tactics of the sneaky county board that are causing upset here?!?!? >:(

Uladh

Quote from: Candyman on September 06, 2007, 01:23:34 PM
I agree with Orchard warrior and wish Peter all the best!!!
I dont think its actually the appointment of Peter McDonnell thats annoying people so much, its the underhand tactics of the sneaky county board that are causing upset here?!?!? >:(

Agreed

orangeman

Where to now for Grimley ? Back to Cavan ?????????

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Orchard Warrior on September 06, 2007, 01:10:36 PM

Obviously the county board have been less than forthcoming with their reasons and the process has been underhand to say the least. McDonnell was the county board's choice many weeks ago and the time taken was an attempt to force grimley into declaring for his cavan job. having called their bluff, the county board had to work overtime justify overlooking Grimley.
John rafferty withdrew the day after the interviews. John had been well informed before hand of the county board's intention to install mcdonnell and the work already don to this end. he turned up to the interview and read a prepared statement, which took the county board apartment for their amateurish methods and their underhand dealings. he answered no questions.

Are we talking facts here or merely speculation?
"Stercus accidit"