Harte to Stay to 2010

Started by nrico2006, September 05, 2007, 11:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

From the BBC Website

Tyrone senior football manager Mickey Harte has been given another three years in the job.
Harte, who was due to enter the final year of a three-year appointment, asked the county committee to extend his tenure until 2010.

The committee agreed unanimously to the Errigal Ciaran clubman's request.

Harte guided Tyrone to All-Ireland title triumphs in 2003 and 2005 but the Red Hands were beaten by Meath at the quarter-final stage last month.

However, the Ballygawley man made clear his desire to remain in post just minutes after the 1-13 to 2-8 defeat at Croke Park.

"Maybe some people would like me to go but they are not going to get their way," he said.

Harte was named as the new senior team manager in November 2002 after the role was vacated by dual bosses Eugene McKenna and Art McRory.

The former county player had a proven track record after taking the Tyrone minor and U21 sides to All-Ireland successes.

Harte was managing the Errigal Ciaran club side at the time of his appointment.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Sandy Hill

Excellent news for us in Armagh!
"Stercus accidit"

supersarsfields

Great News. Cant think of anyone else I would prefer.
Hopefully by next year a few of the younger members such as Mulgrew and Cavanagh Jr will have matured. And some of the injuries will have cleared up.
I'd be very hopeful for next year.

orangeman

Fair play to MH who knows what he wants and who has the courage of his convictions to put his head on the block. At a time when managers want to be coy about things, he isn't. I think thisnews will come as a real boost not only to the supporters but also to the players.

lynchbhoy

said this on another thread, but great news that Harte is staying on for a few more years yet.
This means we can get Brian McIver when he has finished his year with donegal !
:)

ziggysego

Brilliant news. I was hoping he would stay with Tyrone for another three years. Mickey wouldn't stay if he didn't think their was a realistic chance that he could take them back to Croke Park and win Sam again.

Testing Accessibility

red hander

Great news.  Now, if we can steer clear of injuries, get Brian McGuigan back and blood a few more young boys things will look up

parttimeexile

It's good to hear that. I think Mickey has earned the right to stay on. Dont know who else I would want to go in for the job at the moment.

Star Spangler

Quote from: ziggysego on September 05, 2007, 03:03:37 PM
Mickey wouldn't stay if he didn't think their was a realistic chance that he could take them back to Croke Park and win Sam again.

Mickey thinks he can win it in each of the next three years let alone once!

Deal_Me_In

I think its great news that Mickey is back for another 3 years but i still have questions about his managerial team. I don't think the team have looked fit since Paddy Tally left and only a run of games got them to match fitness in 05. Where has Fr Gerard gone? I think that new training methods may need to be assessed

loughshore lad

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on September 05, 2007, 04:03:56 PM
I think its great news that Mickey is back for another 3 years but i still have questions about his managerial team. I don't think the team have looked fit since Paddy Tally left and only a run of games got them to match fitness in 05. Where has Fr Gerard gone? I think that new training methods may need to be assessed
I think this pretty much sums up most peoples feelings. I would like to see Mickey clear out the back room team like McEnaney did in Monaghan this year in order to freshen things up a bit.

orangeman

Mickey is very much his own man and what some people would like to see might not be the way MH sees it.

Over the Bar

He should clear out the backroom team and bring in another few errigal men who share his winning mentality...........

EC Unique

Marty McElkenon (a Tyrone man) would be a great addition to his team. ;)

Rossfan

Tyrone obviously had no choice but to run with Harte again ......

Especially as Maughan wasnt available >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM