Author Topic: Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)  (Read 104934 times)

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)
« Reply #1200 on: March 28, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
The Celtic Symphony, modest tune as it is, has gained global acclaim. In the trendy world of influencers. hits and clicks, it has garnered about 80m "plays"  due to the Dropkick Murphys, the Wolf Tones, Celtic fans, Charlie and the Bhoys  etc etc. It has gone global, from Rio di Janero to Alaska to Moscow to Hamburg to Adelaide. People all over the world love to dance and sing without hatred in their hearts.
Where as the fascist tunes of bigotry are played in dungeons of hate, where Trevor the racist from Lewisham can feel at home, having a short respite from the filth that immigrants have brought into his neighbourhood.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
This a proper tune 

https://youtu.be/k_rjV9L_MzM

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 29, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
I would never support the NI football team for the simple reason that I don't even believe the statelet has the right to exist in the first place. I am sure every nationalist agrees with me and tbh I find it really difficult to understand how any catholic could support them let alone go to their games.

NI is a deeply sectarian place [hold the front page] as a result of the words and actions of the very people who are the OWC's biggest supporters. The same people looking us to go to Windsor and support NI are the exact same people who are swaggering down the streets all summer every summer, putting up offensive flags and beating a big drum and hoping that the fenians are cowering in their hovels, too afraid to come out.

The NI team is a lightning rod for these type of people and should be anathema for any self respecting Irish person IMO. Just because the bigots mostly manage to suppress their hatred for all things Irish/Catholic for a couple of hours while at the match does not change the fact that its a loyalist team for a loyalist people.

For those who say this is a 2 way street and that nationalists are also sectarian, that is just another excuse to pander to loyalist sectarianism.

It is Unionists who have fostered and fomented sectarianism in NI to keep their perceived supremacy over the fenians for centuries. This video is just a small example of that hatred being expressed for all the world to see.

The IFA 'Football For All' is a just a different version of Terence O'Neills 'treat them all right and they will become just like good protestants' as far as I am concerned.

Do you generalize much?

Do these songs not come across as sectarian?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrxRmEvW9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffBhuUpZn0

Past Celtic players/manager like Rogan, OíNeill and Lennon were they Loyalist puppets also?

Too say that you think itís a one way street in relation to sectarianism is bollix (IMO) you are either blind to it or donít hear it. Is there one side more at it? Possibly and the summer marches and the likes of the Orange order fuel it, if you go looking for it youíll see it.

Not supporting the N.I team is fine, I wouldnít go anywhere near it and I only lived 10 minute walk away from it, and was there for the infamous Donegal Celtic Linfield game many moons ago.
But Iíve been in plenty bars during certain games and the language directed at certain teams is sectarian for sure, but you keep in the bubble just like the rest you have mentioned and weíll continue to have the same intrenched views. ďweíre better than themunsĒ
Context is everything, I absolutely love the song Grace having bought an album with Jim McCann's incredible version on it at least 20 years ago, the Celtic Symphony is a good tune to, in the context of Conlon's fight I doubt there was an intention to offend, the banner at the game is definitely offensive. But support for the IRA (which I don't espouse) is political rather than sectarian, but no less offensive in certain circumstances. Singing about hating Kafflics is sectarian. Whether you like them or not Republican songs tend to be political rather than being up to your neck in protestant blood.

Well context is everything and if someone is offended by it glorifying republicans in the modern era the surely thatís offensive. Just because you like the song doesnít mean it wonít offend someone.

To prods supporting the ďraĒ is an attack on them be it a religious thing or political.

That shower of scum bags singing we hate catholicís is sad and they are to be pitied.
Christ the fcuk in night have you even listened to Grace. Re offence I think that's what I said. But I don't have an issue with the say, dolly's brae etc... In the correct place and time, ie context.

oliverkelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 29, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
Are there many Catholics in North squad these days?

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 29, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »

More than you would think and always has been which makes the IFA look even worse

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 29, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

More than you would think and always has been which makes the IFA look even worse

Those Catholic players in the squad donít look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

thebuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 29, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »

Those Catholic players in the squad don’t look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

The biggest surprise to me is how Michael O'Neill ever got the chance to prove how good a manager he is.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 29, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »

Those Catholic players in the squad donít look particularly good either, declaring for NI.

The biggest surprise to me is how Michael O'Neill ever got the chance to prove how good a manager he is.
Why do you say that?  If it's because he's a catholic, there have been catholic managers in the past.  Indeed, Peter the Great took NI to the QFs of the World Cup in 1958.  Perhaps you are relatively knew to following Irish football (Soccer).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:07:43 PM by michaelg »

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 29, 2019, 06:04:36 PM »

If you are a bigot yourself, maybe.  For the likes of Niall McGinn, Shane Ferguson & Liam Boyce it is has given them the opportunity to play at the highest level and has likely had a positive impact on their club careers.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 29, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »

If you are a bigot yourself, maybe.  For the likes of Niall McGinn, Shane Ferguson & Liam Boyce it is has given them the opportunity to play at the highest level and has likely had a positive impact on their club careers.

Given the treatment of Neil Lennon and the sectarian songs sung openly at Windsor over the years, it would be perfectly understandable for a northern born catholic to declare for Ireland or not play international football at all. McGinn and co play for NI, thatís fine. I donít criticise them for it. I just canít understand why they would.

While there have been many catholics who played for NI, the affiliation to a NI team for catholics/nationalists has vastly diminished over the years. While itís more than just sectarianism thatís the problem, it certainly doesnít help and the IFA waited too long to try and create a team and an atmosphere  for both communities. Yes, things have improved at Windsor, but the horse had long bolted.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 29, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »

Given the treatment of Neil Lennon and the sectarian songs sung openly at Windsor over the years, it would be perfectly understandable for a northern born catholic to declare for Ireland or not play international football at all. McGinn and co play for NI, thatís fine. I donít criticise them for it. I just canít understand why they would.

While there have been many catholics who played for NI, the affiliation to a NI team for catholics/nationalists has vastly diminished over the years. While itís more than just sectarianism thatís the problem, it certainly doesnít help and the IFA waited too long to try and create a team and an atmosphere  for both communities. Yes, things have improved at Windsor, but the horse had long bolted.
You did criticise them - See your earlier post.  I would imagine that there is not much that the IFA could do to make you change your views.  I would say equally as significant factors in the diminished affiliation that you refer to have been the improvement in the ROIs on field results in recent decades and the ability of Northern catholics / Nationalists such as Gibson, McClean etc being able to now declare for the ROI.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 29, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
The north isnít a team I would ever support. That said Iím less outright anti them than I once was and was happy enough to see them do well in the euros. The video the other night is far from an isolated incident tho. There has been other videos in the past that we know about. I donít blame nationalists, never mind republicans, for not supporting them

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 29, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »

You did criticise them - See your earlier post.  I would imagine that there is not much that the IFA could do to make you change your views.  I would say equally as significant factors in the diminished affiliation that you refer to have been the improvement in the ROIs on field results in recent decades and the ability of Northern catholics / Nationalists such as Gibson, McClean etc being able to now declare for the ROI.

That was merely an observation, and a response to the previous post.

Yes, the Big Jack era did have an affect too. But I think by the time Gibson/McClean etc declared for Ireland, the interest for the NI team for catholics/nationalists was already very low.

And yes, youíre right, thereís not a lot the IFA could do to change my views. The fact that NI exists is reason enough for me not to support them. Having said that, I donít detest them either. Iím just not that interested. A bit like being a Liverpool fan and not being interested in how Grimsby are getting on.

But there was a time when NI was successful, and that was the time to get more nationalists on board. Looking at the Union flags, sectarian chanting, national anthem, flag etc years ago might have made a difference. As of now, most of those issues still havenít been looked at.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 29, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »

That was merely an observation, and a response to the previous post.

Yes, the Big Jack era did have an affect too. But I think by the time Gibson/McClean etc declared for Ireland, the interest for the NI team for catholics/nationalists was already very low.

And yes, youíre right, thereís not a lot the IFA could do to change my views. The fact that NI exists is reason enough for me not to support them. Having said that, I donít detest them either. Iím just not that interested. A bit like being a Liverpool fan and not being interested in how Grimsby are getting on.

But there was a time when NI was successful, and that was the time to get more nationalists on board. Looking at the Union flags, sectarian chanting, national anthem, flag etc years ago might have made a difference. As of now, most of those issues still havenít been looked at.
To be fair, there are next to no Union Jacks and there is no sectarian chanting at the ground.  Out of interest, if they got rid of GSTQ, would that make a trip to Windsor Park anymore palatable for catholics / nationalists?  I wouldn't expect you to become a super fan, but does the opportunity to go and watch Ronaldo etc on your doorstep for 30 odd quid have zero appeal? 

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 29, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
It needs to be removed from Windsor park. That is the only hope to be honest.