Author Topic: Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)  (Read 106842 times)

Donagh

• View Profile
IFA commit to Páirc na Ceise Fada
« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
Some boy Kennedy from the IFA on the radio now saying they're happy with the business plan and as there are no other alternatives, will play ten games there every year. Says they have no Plan B.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:39:12 PM by Donagh »

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: IFA comit to Páirc Ceis Fada
« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
That would be Páirc Cheis Fhada.
Or even Páirc na Ceise Fada.

Oh aye and commit.
Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:29:24 PM by hardstation »

Donagh

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »

Oh aye and commit.
Sorry.

Shheesskkk

Chrisowc

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »

Oh aye and commit.
Sorry.

It's just Donagh doing his impression of Gerry ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Square Ball

• View Profile
Re: IFA commit to Páirc na Ceise Fada
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2007, 07:28:50 PM »

How the Maze site could look if the plans get the go ahead
The prospect of a stadium being built at the Maze has been brought closer after the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby confirmed they would play games there.
The three organisations have all signed a document estimating the minimum number of supporters they would hope to attract there annually.

Raymond Kennedy, president of the Irish Football Association, said the move made good economic sense.

"We did look at the business case - the business case stacks up," he said.

"We agreed that we would probably play seven fixtures - three competitive, two or three friendlies, a Setanta Cup final maybe and the Irish Cup final."

The plan is for a 35,000-seater stadium for soccer and rugby, and the provision of more seats for GAA fans.

Cost

Renting the new stadium would cost the three main sporting bodies about £1m annually.

To pay for that, the GAA has said it could bring at least 150,000 spectators to its games.

It believes the new stadium could be used to stage an All-Ireland Quarter Final or a national league decider.

The IFA said it could attract at least 80,000 fans, while Ulster Rugby estimates it could bring about 40,000 supporters through the turnstiles.

The IFA has said it would play at least six international matches there per year.

Rugby would include at least one Autumn international and all of Ulster's home Heineken Cup matches.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bailestil

• View Profile
    • Steelstown
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »
How the Maze site could look if the plans get the go ahead
The prospect of a stadium being built at the Maze has been brought closer after the GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby confirmed they would play games there.
The three organisations have all signed a document estimating the minimum number of supporters they would hope to attract there annually.

Raymond Kennedy, president of the Irish Football Association, said the move made good economic sense.

"We did look at the business case - the business case stacks up," he said.

"We agreed that we would probably play seven fixtures - three competitive, two or three friendlies, a Setanta Cup final maybe and the Irish Cup final."

The plan is for a 35,000-seater stadium for soccer and rugby, and the provision of more seats for GAA fans.

Cost

Renting the new stadium would cost the three main sporting bodies about £1m annually.

To pay for that, the GAA has said it could bring at least 150,000 spectators to its games.

It believes the new stadium could be used to stage an All-Ireland Quarter Final or a national league decider.

The IFA said it could attract at least 80,000 fans, while Ulster Rugby estimates it could bring about 40,000 supporters through the turnstiles.

The IFA has said it would play at least six international matches there per year.

Rugby would include at least one Autumn international and all of Ulster's home Heineken Cup matches.

80,000, over 7 games 11,000 odd per game.

Why do the IFA want a 35,000 seater when, if it'll be on average a third full for games.

This place will Suit the GAA Down to the ground. A proper 35,000 seater stadium, with proper facilities. For £1m. Sure that wouldn't fix a toilet block in Clones, Bargain!

TacadoirArdMhacha

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
Why do the IFA want a 35,000 seater when, if it'll be on average a third full for games.

They don't particularly and their fans vehemently oppose it. But they need a new stadium (apparently) and the IFA doesn't have the money to build one. To avail of the public funded stadium they need to share with the GAA and Rugby and the GAA are (correctly) insisting that the new stadium holds at least 35,000 as anything less would be of little value to us.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

snatter

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2007, 11:43:02 PM »
This place will Suit the GAA Down to the ground. A proper 35,000 seater stadium, with proper facilities. For £1m.

BBC NI report tonight said that it's actually a million per year between all three sports bodies.
My guess is that the rent will be close to 500k pa for the GAA.

Absolute bargain compared to cost of building 42k capacity fully covered top class stadium on our own.

The Watcher Pat

• Always Watching
    • View Profile
Re: Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)
« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2007, 10:22:53 AM »
So after all the singing and dancing is done, both the north and south end up in third place in their groups. Both have the identical goals for and against record, with the north gaining 3 more points than the south.

Surely there is a shout that there should be one team representing this island, with the combined player pool  we would have a far bigger chance of reaching major tournaments.

Both the north and south have failed to qualify for the last FIVE european championships. Pathetic record.

Nonsence Stiffler!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning. Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team

SammyG

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »
Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning.
Tony

For aproximately the millionth time, can you please tell us in what way the Sunday ban was sectarian?
Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team
No, they want FIFA's rules to be implemented in the same way as they are all across the world. If the players are elligible then they are free to choose the FAI.

his holiness nb

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2007, 11:49:43 AM »
Anyone else notice the utter hypocrisy of the IFA, Howard Smells and Stephen Beacom on the radio this morning. After finally jettisoning the sectarian ban on Sunday soccer last night, both of them were on bleating about freedom of choice  this morning.
Tony

For aproximately the millionth time, can you please tell us in what way the Sunday ban was sectarian?
Yet they would both seek to deny freedom of choice to young players born in the North who want to play for the FAI team
No, they want FIFA's rules to be implemented in the same way as they are all across the world. If the players are elligible then they are free to choose the FAI.

Any else getting a weird sense of deja vu?
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
For the millionth time Sammy I will answer you. The Ban on Sunday soccer was in accordance with the practice and beliefs of protestantism and this reflects or did reflect the personal beliefs of IFA members in general. I would hope you would not try to insult anyone's intelligence by attempting to deny this.

Also players born in any part of the 32 counties of Ireland should have the right to exercise their freedom of choice and play for either the IFA or FAI team. What the IFA are trying to do is effectively coerce players born in the 6 counties into playing for their team, hence we have the farcical situation of a so called "British Association" playing players who hold Irish passports. Now tell me where that happens anywhere else in the world?

SammyG

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
For the millionth time Sammy I will answer you. The Ban on Sunday soccer was in accordance with the practice and beliefs of protestantism
In what way?
Also players born in any part of the 32 counties of Ireland should have the right to exercise their freedom of choice and play for either the IFA or FAI team.
Why just those two, why not Brazil or Croatia or Australia
What the IFA are trying to do is effectively coerce players born in the 6 counties into playing for their team,
Complete bollix, how could the IFA co-erce anybody (even if they wanted to)
hence we have the farcical situation of a so called "British Association" playing players who hold Irish passports. Now tell me where that happens anywhere else in the world?
Err the IFA represent NI they don't represent Britain, so I've no idea what your point is.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »
Are self-delusion and paranoia required ingredients to be part of the statelet's fan base?

I only ask cos a letter in today's News Letter (I never miss it) about the game in Spain had me wetting myself involuntarily.

Master Timothy Thorpe, 'Green and White Army', Coleraine (strange address) lambasts the nasty Spanish rossers for their treatment of "the fabulous Northern Ireland support" by holding them outside the stadium "like animals".  Who else would put up with it, Master Timothy laments.

"I suspect not a lot as I am sure they would have resorted to violence by that stage, but not the Green and White Army who remained calm amid the harassment and confusion dished out by the Spanish police," he answers his own lamentations.

"Maybe it was all a big ploy," Timmy suggests.  "Maybe the Spanish were jealous of the best supporters in Europe; maybe FIFA encouraged the hold-up to intimidate us and make us resort to violence in another attempt to take 'Our Wee Country' out of the football world.

"If it was or if it wasn't, the Green and White Army will fight tooth and nail to keep the integrity of our wee country intact and support Northern Ireland wherever they may go."

Nurse? The sedatives...