Derry V Galway MFC

Started by the procastenator, September 02, 2007, 12:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

like I say bogball, I'll look at the tape and respond. I get too caught up to be objective and your right about the last quarter. But I still think that we didn't get any change from the ref in the first 30

marty88

The ref was very poor. Should really of been shot for the decision to give the hop-ball.
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: jodyb on September 16, 2007, 09:18:01 PM
like I say bogball, I'll look at the tape and respond. I get too caught up to be objective and your right about the last quarter. But I still think that we didn't get any change from the ref in the first 30

Derry had plenty of scoreable frees though in the first half. They missed three of them in the first 20 minutes. That could have put them nearly out of sight.

From the Bunker

WELL DONE GALWAY.......................THE WEST AWAKE! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jodyb

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 16, 2007, 09:46:05 PM
WELL DONE GALWAY.......................THE WEST AWAKE! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's the West's Awake, not the west awake an' I bet ye don't even no the f@ckin words, far less the sentiment!!

Balboa

Quote from: jodyb on September 16, 2007, 09:02:37 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 16, 2007, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: jodyb on September 16, 2007, 08:36:55 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 16, 2007, 08:10:53 PM
Congrats to the Galway minors today. Galway's 6th minor AI and the first since 1986. Far too long a gap without one.

Thought they just about deserved the win for the way they fought their way back into the game.

Bollocks!!!!!   

Sorry to sound like a bad loser, but the ref kept Galway in it. Some unbelievable decisions!! Yeah you cant expect to win only scoring 2 points in a half, but the ref in the first half was an absolute w@nker!!
Hard luck to a great bunch of Derry youngsters. The better team lost!

You're right. You do sound like a bad loser.

To be honest I can't think of any particular bad decisions the ref made either way. He did turn a Derry free into a hop ball but only after the Derry player had started taunting the Galway defender to his face. Something I think we all want to see less of. I thought he did a good job overall considering players were slipping all over the place in the wet conditions.

I'll take time to watch the tape and respond GBB, and if I'm wrong I'll admit it, but even in the midst of my red and white bias, i think it was a hollow victory for Galway. The tribesmen, yet again, prove to be Derry's bogey. However, the last 2 times it was fully deserved. Not this time methinks...........

How the hell can you have a "hollow victory" in an All Ireland Final, Derry have nobody to blame but themselves, going into their shell when they saw the finishing line.

imtommygunn

Hard luck to Derry - to say a hollow victory for Galway is a bit ridiculous though.

Two incidents of note which turned the game I feel. The free derry threw away for the fella cheering at getting it and the time they hit the post. I honestly felt though with the no. 5 cheering for the free that he was turning round expecting to be blown up for too long and he was shouting in great relief at having got the free - he didn't shout in the defenders face if you take a look at it. The other being the hitting the post incident.

I felt McGeehan was the most talented player on show. He doesn't waste a ball - his goal was excellent and even the one he hit the post with he did really well to even get a shot of. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses at senior - looks like another Geoffrey!

Derry I felt had a much better defense possibly moreso as a unit than as individuals. Galway I feel man for man in the forwards had a bit more talent though. Conway moved Kielt out of midfield for the start of the second half and i think derry suffered because of this. He did move him back though.

The Real Laoislad

Hard luck Derry i thought before the game they were gonna win after seeing them a couple of times against Laois.
Very good Galway team though fair play to them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

jodyb

Young Reddington, just got MOTM and that Amadan Spillane talked about the better 'Footballing team winning' surely even Galway posters can concede that they were lucky? The better footballing team, disallowed score and wee bit of Verbals aside (not gonna mention the lad), was  certainly Derry without a doudt!!

The Real Laoislad

Forgot to add that the Galway goal was as good as i seen all year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Jinxy

An outstanding goal to win an All-Ireland by young Reddington. Fantastic skill and composure. I thought Galway were all over Derry in the 2nd half and just about deserved the win on the balance of play. Derry sat back and drew the Galway half backs and midfield up the pitch and having seen them beat Kerry, I knew that was the type of game Galway wanted to play. Very enjoyable fare I thought and both teams were a credit to their county. Congratulations to Galway and hard luck to the Derry men.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aerlik

Feck feck feck

I had to listen to the game from Highland radio via Galway Bay FM, and thon commentator sounded like he was watching Brazil.

I'll eventually get to see the game, but the Derry lads have provided us exiles with a thrilling year's entertainment.  Well done boys anyway.

Feck feck feck, it would have been nice to see  Kilrea lad parading through the town with the national cup.  I bet you Coleraine Borough Council are breathing a sigh of relief though ;)

Feck
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to our lads, just about deserved it in the end.  Fair play to Reddington, a super finish for the goal and it really capped off a very good all round performance from him.

Derry can count themselves very unlucky.  Should have pushed home their advantage when they were vey much on top in the first half, but for some reason they did not come near to replicating this in the second half and only scored 2 pts as far as I can remember.

Anyway, a great day for Alan Mulholland, his selectors and team and I'd like to thak them for a very enjoyable year.

galwayman

Christ Jodyb, so much for being gracious in defeat!!
The words "sore loser" definitely come to mind here. Take your beating.
We rode our luck a bit granted but overall we won the game fairly and squarely and based on our second half performance - which included the disallowing of a valid point which would cancel out the fact that Derry would have got a point from the free that was thrown up - I believe that we deserved the win.
Derry were the better side in the first half without doubt but we were by far the better team in the second half. Just because you hit the front late on in a game having trailed for the most part doesn't mean you don't deserve to win a game.

I honestly didn't think watching the game that the ref gave poor decisions for one team over the other.
From our point of view, you'd have to say Damien Reddington won the game for us. That was some goal to win an AI final.
I had been less than convinced about him having watched him in the Connacht games gainst Sligo and Roscommon where I felt he did very little but Croke Park really seemed to suit him and he used his pace to great effect as he was always well out in front of his man and kicked 2 fine points also.

Well done to all involved.

MaroonAndWhite

I, for one, will take a so-called "hollow victory" and an AI trophy any day over going home from an AI final with a slapped arse and an embarassed head because you left it behind you. Galway never stopped playing, never gave up and showed more heart for the fight. If you know how to take your beatings, the victories are all the sweeter and thats why all in maroon enjoyed yesterday so much.