Derry V Galway MFC

Started by the procastenator, September 02, 2007, 12:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

any galway boys at all on this board? very little posters for a big county
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ONeill

Looking forward to this game. I'd my money on a Tyrone/Derry rematch final (with Derry winning) but The Red Hands were caught napping against the Kingdom. Derry were the best team in Ulster during the MFL and on a par with Tyrone in the MFC. I really like the look of Kielt (not in a Graham Norton way) - reminds me a lot of the way Liam Doyle oozed class at this level at turn of the century. McGeehan may not have the physique which suggests he'll have a great senior county career but he's the Geoffrey McGonigle of this Derry side. Wonderfully talented, intelligent and accurate.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I received this article recently, on Derry's proud record at this level:

DERRY MINORS ADD TO ILLUSTRIOUS PAST

After Monaghan's heartbreaking defeat to the Kingdom, it eventually dawned on us that Derry's minors, out of the limelight since their controversial Ulster decider loss to great rivals Tyrone, were our last standing side in this year's All-Ireland series. This should come as no surprise to anyone who has seen this talented side play over the last six months. Having lifted the minor league, they waltzed their way to the Ulster final, barely conceding a score to Antrim and Monaghan along the way. In the final, they succumbed to another talented side by the smallest of margins. Replays showed Tyrone was awarded a point that should never have been. Undeterred, the young Oak Leaf side went about their business in a quiet fashion and were rewarded when they staged a wonderful comeback to defeat Cork 1-8 to 1-7. Barry O'Driscoll's goal helped Cork lead 1-4 to 0-2 at half-time. However, Derry reduced the Rebel County's lead after the break and James Kielt's 57th-minute goal brought the sides level. Declan Mullan then hit the winning point to put the beaten Ulster finalists into the All-Ireland semis. Derry O'Callaghan should have at least levelled for Cork in injury-time but he opted for glory by going for goal and his low shot was saved by Derry goalkeeper Andrew Warnock.

Something else that shouldn't surprise is that this Derry side was following in a rich underage tradition in the county. The Oak Leaf currently stands on 14 provincial titles, the last in 2002 when they went on to lift their fourth All-Ireland title. That tremendous side included players of the calibre of Mark Lynch, Patsy Bradley and Gerard O'Kane. Their most productive period at this level was during the 80s when they lifted six Ulster titles (as well as one in 1990) and two All-Ireland titles. They were also defeated in two finals by Kerry and Cork at the start of that decade. Derry's '83 side was probably up there with one of the best to grace Croke Park at that level. Previously, they had annihilated Monaghan in the Ulster Final on a scoreline of 3-9 to 0-4. In the All-Ireland final they were to meet Cork, their victors in the '81 final on a scoreline of 4-9 to 2-7. The rebels were expected to inflict on Derry their third final loss in four years, having lost to Kerry 3-12 to 0-11 in 1980. However, Derry managed to restricted their opponents to a miserly 1-3 whilst scoring 0-8 themselves to lift their second Tom Markham triumph. That side consisted of some wonderful footballers, not least John McGurk, Dermott McNicholl, Damien Cassidy and Eamonn Lynch. The following year they again waltzed through the Ulster Championship, beating Armagh 1-14 to 0-3 in the final. They had already inflicted two heavy defeats on the same opposition in the '80 and '81 Ulster finals, 3-14 to 1-2 and 0-11 to 1-2. 1980-1984 was a remarkable golden period for underage football in Derry.

In 1989, Derry returned for their 4th All-Ireland final in 10 years. Remarkably, they again handed out a heavy beating to Armagh in the Ulster final, 2-15 to 2-3. This time they were to meet Offaly in the final. The Faithful had collected their only Markham in 1964 but were not to add to this tally as Derry ran out convincing 3-9 to 1-6 winners. If you thought the '83 team were talented, look at this list of achievers on the '89 champions – Gary Coleman, Anthony Tohill, Eamonn Burns, Dermot Heaney, Declan Bateson and Karl Diamond.

Derry's first Tom Markham Cup arrived in 1965 in their maiden appearance in the final, as well as their first Ulster title. In the final they defeated Kerry who'd won the '62 and '63 finals. Some of the bigger names in that team were Adrian McGuckin, Eamonn Coleman, Seamus McCloskey, Mickey Niblock, Colm Mullan and Malachy McAfee. So when you watched Derry strut their stuff in their unforgettable All-Ireland semi-final draw with Laois, remember that they're threading a well worn Oak-Leaf path – our aristocrats of minor football.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

marty88

Anyone have any spare tickets for someone whos only missed 2 derry games all year? (home to queens and home to laois in the league)
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

orangeman

tbrick18

I think Derry have a really good chance of winning this with the talent at their disposal. Provided everyone can keep their feet on the ground and not get over-awed by the occasion I feel a victory for the Oak Leaf Boys is on the cards.

Doire Abu!

whiskeysteve

Really good to see a Derry team come through with great attacking ability - boys like lee moore, declan mullen, mcgeehan and aiden heron have been hitting great scores the past few matches - hope they keep it up through to senior
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

tbrick18

What's the mood like in Galway for this match?
They are bound to feel confident too after beating Kerry in the last match. Do they consider Derry an easier game?

MaroonAndWhite

Galway team named....one change from semi final team....Eanna Glynn in for Declan Rhattigan

1. O Higgins
2. E Glynn
3. C Forde
4. K Kelly
5. T Fahy
6. D O'Reilly
7. C Doherty
8. P Conway
9. A Griffin
10. JJ Greaney
11. T Walsh
12. J O'Brien
13. J Ryan
14. M Martin
15. D Reddington

Its low key enough in Galway.....probabaly ideal for the team especially given that they are young lads and they'll put enough pressure on themselves without a whole county leaning on them too. Derry are by no means seen as a handier game......cant remeber any game that Galway ever won soft against Derry and not expecting any different on Sunday. This is some team though.....full back line are v good even though the Kerry lads gave them a hard time in first half but sure when are they likely to come up against a full forward like that Walsh lad from Kerry again?! That lad wouldnt be far off the senior team on that form! Conroy is a class act in the middle and the full forward line are v dangerous if on song.

Best of luck to them anyway......we're well overdue a minor title (last one was in '86 in the time of Tomas Mannion....Brolly will have fond memories of him!, Kevin Walsh, and the current manager, Alan Mulholland). Id forego this for a good portion of this team to come through to senior.......we need all the talent we can get at senior level.

tbrick18

Looking forward to it...sounds like it could be a good match up.

GY Joe

Good luck to the Tribe in this one.. Be nice to bring a second underage Title home after the U21 hurlers last Sunday.
I like the look of this team, by that I mean they look hungry. Alan Mulholland has done a great job..
Think Ill drop into one of his father's shops today and back them... He wont mind paying out on that...

quit yo jibbajabba

good luck to the derry minors on sunday; in particular the pearses trio; got me tickets last nite; they're lovely!!

screenexile

Good luck to all on Sunday and especially the Screen lads John Francis, Carlus and Ally. I've a good feelin about this one. Doire Abú!

Black and white

Good luck to Niall and the boys on Sunday

GaillimhIarthair

Best of luck to the Galway lads on Sunday.  No time like the present to end the minor drought.  Should be a cracking game as both teams seem to posess some very classy footballers based on their semi final showings.  I didnt think this Galway team would go as far based on their first day out in Carrick, but fair play, they have improved with every game along the way.  Credit must go to Mulholland and the backroom team here.  Big games from the likes of Paul Conway, Tommy Walsh and our full forward line should ensure a prosperous day at headquarters.

Gaillimh abú