Which County Board are not known for appealing decisions ?

Started by sligeach, August 31, 2007, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 02, 2007, 01:57:11 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2007, 05:12:38 PM
County Down have even been financially rewarded in the past for not appealing awful decisions.

Quote from: Pangurban on September 01, 2007, 11:35:33 PM
Explain Wobbler

I presume Wobbler is refering to the Christy Ring final a couple of years ago when Down lost to Westmeath. The referee blew the game up a couple of minutes early, at a stage when Down were coming back into the game having trailed for most of it. Down asked for a rematch, but didnt appeal the decision to the Croke Park. Westmeath refused the request for the rematch and Croke Park eventually gave the Down Board a sum of money (something tells me it was around £10k) as a reward for their sportsmanship.
This was a game down were expected to win, having topped the group and beat Westmeath in the process. They just didnt perform on the day. There was also some problems getting the money to the players, I seem to recall the players got vouchers instead of cash and the hurlers werent too happy about it. Still the county board made a few quid and didnt seem interested in a rematch and a chance at a trophy.

The players got vouchers for either O'Neills or some hotels i think. Some cashed in their vouchers so to speak.
The county boards decision not to appeal but to ask for a goodwill gesture was utter balls and Westmeath were right not to give it. The county board would of been better saying nothing

Also Down hurlers also appealed the sending off of Liam Clarke a few years ago in a NHL game against Antrim. It was a case of mistaken identity and Liam did get off on appeal but Stephen Murray ended up with the suspension then. At first the county board weren't going to appeal but were put under pressure by Ballygalget club as the footage shown by the BBC on the monday night after the game showed Liam well out of the way as Murph took a lump out of Aidan Delargy I think it was.

Certainly the Down county board don't like to upset the Croke park apple cart if at all possible especially when the hurlers are involved.

heffo

Quote from: Pangurban on September 03, 2007, 12:45:09 AM
Quote from Heffo---Wrong  - Wee Jimmy in 2003.
You are the one who is wrong Heffo, Down were only involved in the appeals procedure in this case because an action being taken against our player in the courts,necessitated that there be a higher lever of clarity as to what actually occured, than would normally be the case if only a suspension was involved. Any player in this situation is entitled to and should reasonably expect the full support of his Co.Board. In the normal course of events we do not appeal disciplinary decisions.

You made an assertion that Down have "have accepted the decision of the disciplinary body without demur" - in the case of James McCartan, Down appealed and had their appeal upheld by way of a technicality - rule 152, the rule dealing with investigation procedures was misapplied. Down got him off on a technicality, he was not vindicated and it in no way helped or influenced the other procedures that were ongoing.

I'm hardly wrong to point this out. You however, were wrong to assert that "On the very rare occasions that any Down player has been involved in disciplinary breaches, we have accepted the decision of the disciplinary body without demur"....

Bord na Mona man

Westmeath - Rory O'Connell getting a High Court injunction to get a 3 month suspension removed on a technicality.

Gnevin

The Kilkenny Football board  ;D
They wouldn't appeal if the entire team was banned for having beards
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

QuoteThey wouldn't appeal if the entire team was banned for having beards

;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sky Blue

Every county will appeal if they feel hard done by. It's going to court that's unacceptable IMO. Westmeath are the worst example of this type of behaviour.

IolarCoisCuain

As the Great Biffo Nation, normally so voluble hereabouts, seem as shy on this topic as their Board is at appealling decisions, I nominate Offaly as being a Board that take their licks.

Lone Shark

I have to say I'm quite proud of our board in that regard, albeit some others might see it differently.

In 2000 McManus committed a Darragh O'Se like offence in the Offaly club championship, we could have given him four weeks and had him available for the summer, instead he got three months - and rightly so. Interestingly his red card stream dried up after that.

In the Kildare incident we didn't appeal anything, and we were proven to be in the right - and not on a technicality either.

Also on the Ken Casey incident we did exactly what I thought was correct - concede that Longford should have the points without demur, but appeal the suspension of the player, who after all was an 18 year old playing because he was asked to and was told it was clear. To suspend him for 6 months for a board feck up would have been wrong. Possibly people disagree with that logic, but i think once we didn't contest Longford getting the points, we were in honourable territory.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Lone Shark on September 04, 2007, 12:27:51 PM
I have to say I'm quite proud of our board in that regard, albeit some others might see it differently.

In 2000 McManus committed a Darragh O'Se like offence in the Offaly club championship, we could have given him four weeks and had him available for the summer, instead he got three months - and rightly so. Interestingly his red card stream dried up after that.

In the Kildare incident we didn't appeal anything, and we were proven to be in the right - and not on a technicality either.

Also on the Ken Casey incident we did exactly what I thought was correct - concede that Longford should have the points without demur, but appeal the suspension of the player, who after all was an 18 year old playing because he was asked to and was told it was clear. To suspend him for 6 months for a board feck up would have been wrong. Possibly people disagree with that logic, but i think once we didn't contest Longford getting the points, we were in honourable territory.

Sure ye don't need the CB in Offaly, you have people power, ala the mass sit down on the pitch after a certain Clare game  ;D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com