The Miami Showband Massacre

Started by Shamrock Shore, August 29, 2007, 11:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I have come to know one Stephen Travers who was part of the Miami Showband who, as we all know, were ambushed in 1975 by the UVF/UDR etc etc.

Well he has written a book called "The Miami Showband Massacre" about his 30 year search for the truth.

While not wanting to stir a hornets' nest here I should think it should be an interesting read.

It's out early next month </endplug>

stew

I'd say there is more than a fair chance this thread will get a wee bit emotive.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

What_would Bono_Do

As far as I can recall two of the two dead attackers, Harris Boyle and Wesley Somerville, who were not only UVF members but also serving soldiers in the Ulster Defence Regiment and in uniform at the time, were later given a UVF paramilitary funeral - complete with a volley of shots and a service conducted by the Rev William McCrea.

The Daniel O'Donnell of the DUP.

J70

Quote from: What_would Bono_Do on August 30, 2007, 12:09:34 AM
As far as I can recall two of the two dead attackers, Harris Boyle and Wesley Somerville, who were not only UVF members but also serving soldiers in the Ulster Defence Regiment and in uniform at the time, were later given a UVF paramilitary funeral - complete with a volley of shots and a service conducted by the Rev William McCrea.

The Daniel O'Donnell of the DUP.

I think you're out of order comparing McCrea to wee Daniel!

Seamus Mallon's description of McCrea as the "village idiot of the Assembly" was rather more apt.

ziggysego

But Willie doesn't have a chance with Mrs Merton, unlike Daniel.
Testing Accessibility

red hander

'but also serving soldiers in the Ulster Defence Regiment'

You're stretching it a bit describing members of the UDR as soldiers

Donagh

Wasn't this one of Nairac's joint British army/UVF operations?

Our Nail Loney

Travers said in an interview in the irish news the other day that he firmly believes Nairac was present and in charge of everything the night everything happened.

The book should be a good read

Armagh4SamAgain

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on September 12, 2007, 07:47:57 PM
I've met Steve Travers a few times. He's gigging, although rather sporadically it has to be said unfortunately, with Johnny Fean ex Horslips and some south American drummer. He's an absolute gentleman and a brilliant musician to boot. If you ever hear of them playing in or near where you live you should go to hear them. 
what u call the band
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

pintsofguinness

Where's Evil Genius now or is it only the victims of the IRA he talks about?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 11, 2007, 05:50:27 PM
Where's Evil Genius now or is it only the victims of the IRA he talks about?

I have no hesitation in condemning the Massacre as a dreadful atrocity. As such, I have no sympathy whatever for the two UVF men who died in the attack and regret that those who were convicted for their part in the attack were able to avail of the GFA and walk free without serving a true life sentence.

As for the allegations of Government collusion, I would like to see this properly investigated and any further perpetrators made to face justice, in exactly the same way as I would like to see ALL such atrocities investigated, with any involvement or collusion by Government figures, past or present, brought to light.  :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

I didn't see you coming on here to make a thread on it like you did with Enniskillen. 

Evil Genius

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 11, 2007, 07:42:52 PM
I didn't see you coming on here to make a thread on it like you did with Enniskillen. 

So it's not enough that I should reply to an invitation to comment (my first post of the day, btw) with an unequivocal condemnation of this atrocity, but now I must be first to condemn it! Enniskillen has a personal resonance for me; does your diktat now mean that I must also be first to condemn every atrocity that ever happened by starting a new thread?  :o

Why do I get the impression that you were disappointed with my reply? Could it be because you missed out on another opportunity to confirm your own prejudices, by pointing out how "themmuns" are all big, bad Orange bigots, whose eyes are pushed so close together as to make them virtually one-eyed?  ::)

Pathetic.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 11, 2007, 08:27:54 PM
Evil Genius, you mention collusion. Do you not find it strange that the RUC, the organisation mostly accussed of colluding with Protestant terrorists, were mostly left to investigate themselves. As one British judge remarked, it was a very Irish situation.

Jeez, one at a time, 5ive Times!

"Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?" That one's been exercising greater minds than mine since Roman times, if not beyond.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

So it's not enough that I should reply to an invitation to comment (my first post of the day, btw) with an unequivocal condemnation of this atrocity, but now I must be first to condemn it! Enniskillen has a personal resonance for me; does your diktat now mean that I must also be first to condemn every atrocity that ever happened by starting a new thread?

Sure why not, you're happy to start threads about IRA victims.