Could we learn from the Rugby boys?

Started by Armaghtothebone, August 29, 2007, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 30, 2007, 10:00:45 AM
I agree with you LB, however, given as you're not the opinionated sort, I'm sure you never would have indulged in that sort of thing?

Other things that could be introduced are the possibility of video refs for controversial point/wide decisons and square ball (or why not just get rid of square ball) - allow a team the possibility of 2 challenges a match if required (obviously this is only feasable at county level).
remarkably well disciplined (regarding dissent) most of the time, lost it on the very rare occassion  - but mostly near the end ofthe playing days. Did get a ball moved about 50 yards for continaully applauding a ref's bad decision against my team once.
Got booked in the summer at a game while on the line. Ref was taking the complete p**s. Cant stand kids being cheated.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 30, 2007, 11:04:33 AM
Rugby is a more stop/start game by nature so it might not be possible for refs to explain their decisions the same way.
why would players in the heat of a game feel like they are rational and capable of calmly 'questioning' or talking to a ref.
IMO there is no reason to discuss things with a ref, unless asking where a free is to be taken from , or the score or how long is left etc.

if he isnt good enough , then he should be reported  - but talking to him isnt going to make any difference (unless you are in wicklow and are flirtingly suggesting car boots etc)

orangeman

Rugby is a different set up altogether - the disciplinary system seems to work ok -