Croke Park - The Transformation

Started by Homer, August 29, 2007, 10:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Even more impressive than the transformation is that those pictures also include a shot of a Down Senior team playing in Croke Park in the 2000's :o :o
The Aristocrat Years

blanketattack

The first final I was in Croke Park for was the 1947 Football final.
Nobody told me it was switched was to New York.

Homer

Quote from: blanketattack on August 29, 2007, 05:20:17 PM
The first final I was in Croke Park for was the 1947 Football final.
Nobody told me it was switched was to New York.

How'd that go down anyway  ;)

Has anyone got any pictures of the Nally in its new home?

southdown

August 11 1991 Down v Kerry AISF, lower Hogan and I was on the telly too!

FL/MAYO

U21 Final 1974 was the first time I was in Croke Park, Mayo V Louth I believe was the game.

prewtna

my first time in croker was 1992 semi final mayo vs donegal. mayo did alright that day but the thing i remember most is the creeky nature of the upper deck of the old cusack stand. wooden seat metal arm rests, pure tight squeeze even for a nipper. the turnstiles were tight too and that day i dont think there was much of a crowd either.

i think ive been in every part of croker both old and new since then. though i might not have set foot in the upper deck of the old hogan stand. sat in the VIP seats in the old hogan after some match too when i was small. now they were comfotable from what i remember.

best memory of croker - (semi Vs dubs apart) - leaving the old canal end after mayo beat offaly in 97. twas all mayo that end and everyone singing and chanting all the way out the gates. i didnt need to use my legs - i was carried along by the crowd out that bottle neck by the bridge!

Farrandeelin

I've been on the Hill 3 times. For Mayo's loss to Cork in 2002. For Mayo's loss to Kerry in 04 AIF and 06 AIF. depressing. :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

turkey+ham

Centenary Final of 1984
Kerry beat the Dubs. In the Hogan Stand. Me Da had a seat and I stood down at the front. Shite view. Remember Jack O'Shea and some fella playing for with a tan - unheard of in those days!!!

ziggysego

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 29, 2007, 08:53:22 PM
I've been on the Hill 3 times. For Mayo's loss to Cork in 2002. For Mayo's loss to Kerry in 04 AIF and 06 AIF. depressing. :(

Maybe you should go somewhere in the stadium for the game.
Testing Accessibility

Farrandeelin

If I could have gotten tickets for other places, I'd be glad. I don't ever want to go on the Hill again. Then again, I was glad to get tickets for any game. Funnily enough my first AIF in 96, I was in the upper Cusack and we drew with Meath. Didn't get to the replay or 97 AIF cos dad wouldn't bring me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Pangurban

Was in the old Cusack Stand in 1956 for Galway v Cork AI final. Under the Cusack for Derry v Dublin in 1958, Down v Galway 1959 SF. And Down Kerry final in 1960. Canal end,Hill and Nally many times. Since mid-sixties have confined myself to lower Hogan

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on August 29, 2007, 11:50:45 AM
Semi final against the Dubs in 1985, first game

same as , best days out were  Mayo's victories over Tyrone in 2004 and over Dublin last year, also when Donegal won the All Ireland in 1992 the atmosphere was unreal the only time i left an Aif happy
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Star Spangler

The transformation of Croke Park was going brilliantly until the very last minute when they constructed that monstrosity where the Nally Stand used to be.  It's like they had a fantastic architect do 99% of the design and the along comes someone on the "Committee" drew a picture on a bit of paper and said build that there!

Gnevin

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 30, 2007, 10:38:48 AM
The transformation of Croke Park was going brilliantly until the very last minute when they constructed that monstrosity where the Nally Stand used to be.  It's like they had a fantastic architect do 99% of the design and the along comes someone on the "Committee" drew a picture on a bit of paper and said build that there!
::) ::)
Stadium are for atmosphere not for looking at, the hill/nally generates most of said atmosphere
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

rosnarun

the nally stand was an insult to the man. though I used to get in for a pound when i was in college in dublin in the late 80's. you could hardly see a thing.
1st time in croker was 1978 league semi mayo beat down 0-9 to 0-8?.
BTW
and a another thing that day we got the train all the way to connolly why cant that happem any more?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere