Down Hurling Manager

Started by Bacon, August 29, 2007, 06:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heurebag

surly padraig o mhainin shud be in with a call, hes has proven himself to be a first cvlass manger at clun and county levels

Lecale2

Seems you were right Johnnycool. Jingo got the job.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 23, 2007, 02:40:47 PM

Where was it officially announced?

It isn't up on that disaster of a county web site yet.

Balboa

How do the people in Down feel about Jingo, i know he has his detractors but you could do worse. When a few of the Antrim players and Doctor John fucked him over to pave the way for the dream team of Jumbo & Woody there were also players that wanted him to stay.

johnneycool

Quote from: Balboa on October 23, 2007, 09:12:16 PM
How do the people in Down feel about Jingo, i know he has his detractors but you could do worse. When a few of the Antrim players and Doctor John fucked him over to pave the way for the dream team of Jumbo & Woody there were also players that wanted him to stay.

I don't know an awful lot about the fella on a personal level or have never been involved in any teams he's coached or spoken to anyone who has so I'm open minded about him. I have witnessed him as a player close hand in the bear pit and he was handy enough but got dragged down into the crap that used to go with playing the paddies mostly by his siblings who didn't have his ability but liked a bit of a box on a sunday afernoon.
In fairness he set out to get Antrim into Div1 and back in the Liam McCarthy which he achieved but with the players at his disposal that mightn'd of been a big deal but he won all he could so he must have something to offer.

The Down job will be a different kettle of fish, we are now in Div2 and need to rebuild a team almost from scratch and I'm not so sure that we have the players or attitude within the current crop to do that for a year or two.
He'll have the added distraction of the inherent difficulties in Down of always trying to get a training pitch especially in the winter with the assistance of a hurling board secretary whose worse than useless and the lack of basic equipment at training.

If he can get the team organised both on and off the field he'll have enough on his plate to be going on with. The last Sarsfields man we had got both right. When McGuinness shouted jump, both the county board and players asked how high. Jingo needs to do the same.

Best

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 23, 2007, 04:04:52 PM

I got an E mail from a reliable source yesterday.
Good luck to the man. I always thought he would get it if he was interested. We were never going to get any serious interest from coaches in the south. Hopefully he can get everyone pulling together in the right direction.  Any ideas on who his selectors will be? I know he approached a former county hurler who is now with Bredagh.

Balboa

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 24, 2007, 10:51:46 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 23, 2007, 04:04:52 PM

I got an E mail from a reliable source yesterday.
Good luck to the man. I always thought he would get it if he was interested. We were never going to get any serious interest from coaches in the south. Hopefully he can get everyone pulling together in the right direction.  Any ideas on who his selectors will be? I know he approached a former county hurler who is now with Bredagh.

I take it you mean ex Down player?

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on October 24, 2007, 08:41:16 AM
with the assistance of a hurling board secretary whose worse than useless
Do you mean the former Secretary or the current Acting Secretary?  ???

There is a recommendation that Jingo gets the job. He was the best qualified candidate and was a unaminous choice. He's been trying to get respected Down selectors on board and has approach 2 or 3 lads who fit the bill - including one from Bredagh, Lecale.
He's also bringing former Antrim trainer Paul Boyle with him.
If we can get the right systems in place at the start, progress can be made. Without the right systems, players won't commit, and who can blame them? Jingo will need to be firm with the County Board from the outset.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Ruairi Og exile

I wonder will Jingo bring his big mucker...Digger?? I hope the Down Co. Board don't mind his huge travelling expenses. He used to charge the Antrim County Board for espenses for him going to training at Casement Park. That would be fair enough but he used to cycle down on his bike :D :D :D

Good Jingo story for the Down ones. The time Antrim played Galway in NHL at Casement a couple of years(when Antrim won)..there was a mistake in the programme & Galway's team on the programme was down as playing a 3 man Midfield & a 2 man FF line,. it was obviously a mistake. He told some of the players to watch out as Galway were playing a 2 man FF line!!

On all seriousness though I think Jingo will do a good job, he's a good enough fella

SeanSouth

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on October 24, 2007, 01:52:40 PM
I wonder will Jingo bring his big mucker...Digger?? I hope the Down Co. Board don't mind his huge travelling expenses. He used to charge the Antrim County Board for espenses for him going to training at Casement Park. That would be fair enough but he used to cycle down on his bike :D :D :D

Good Jingo story for the Down ones. The time Antrim played Galway in NHL at Casement a couple of years(when Antrim won)..there was a mistake in the programme & Galway's team on the programme was down as playing a 3 man Midfield & a 2 man FF line,. it was obviously a mistake. He told some of the players to watch out as Galway were playing a 2 man FF line!!

On all seriousness though I think Jingo will do a good job, he's a good enough fella

Shock horror, someone putting the arm in over expenses/mileage. Sambo and Woody probably dont even claim mileage, they just do it for the "love of the game".........

theskull1

I think it will be a good appointment. Jingo's not a bad fella and is meant to be a pretty good orginiser and a decent man manager from what I've heard. Only for the daggers that were out for him at all levels in Antrim when even players were encouraged to publicly critise him I think he would done alright if given the time. I think the coaching aspect however (think that was that fellow boyle who looked after that......but could be wrong) was meant to be brutal though.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on October 24, 2007, 02:34:04 PM
I think it will be a good appointment. Jingo's not a bad fella and is meant to be a pretty good orginiser and a decent man manager from what I've heard. Only for the daggers that were out for him at all levels in Antrim when even players were encouraged to publicly critise him I think he would done alright if given the time. I think the coaching aspect however (think that was that fellow boyle who looked after that......but could be wrong) was meant to be brutal though.

Aye Tosh said he was a good enough man manager & organiser but he would need a good coach with him, he was one of the players "allegedley" asked, by the county chairman, to put the knife in Jingo to the papers, but he refused, not out of any great allegiance to Jingo, just out of general decency.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on October 24, 2007, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 24, 2007, 08:41:16 AM
with the assistance of a hurling board secretary whose worse than useless
Do you mean the former Secretary or the current Acting Secretary?  ???

I'm talking about Jimmy Keenan. Has he stood down?

Lecale2

I think Mr Keenan stood down in August. Gerard McShane has taken over until the convention.

johnneycool

Was the rubber stamping of Jingo not last night?

Any official updates yet?