Is there an All Ireland Hurling Final this weekend?

Started by Silky, August 29, 2007, 03:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goin Down

Congrats to Kilkenny, they were the better team, although I would have liked to see Limerick go the whole way, well done to them for getting there!
Remember This.

Punxsutawney Fergal

As I expected, Limerick just didn't have the ability to come anywhere near the cats. All this shit about Waterford taking KK is pure shit!! Waterford would have lost by more than Limerick did today, purely because KK would have played in a higher gear than they did today!! All this muck about Munster hurling, It's in a bad state and getting worse - Cork gone for a few years, Waterford gone also.. Tipp are the only ones that can do anything but they are so messed up in the head!!!! currently they are arguing about who to select on this manager selection group!!

Louth Exile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2007, 05:47:02 PM
I have to agree that the final let down one of the most exciting hurling seasons in years. Waterford probably would have taken the cats but it wasn't about them today. Referee was terribly biased to Limerick. Comhghairdeas Cill Chainnigh.
As for motm, I'd nearly give it to Tommy Walshe.

I'd agree with Tommy Walsh as MOM, although the ref was biased to Limerick, should Eddie Brennan not have seen two yellows in the first half? He put the butt of the hurl in Lucey's face and then also hit the corner back in the face with the hurl after that!! He came in for a bit of rough treatment.

I was hoping for Limerick, but it was great to see Shefflin and young Mc Garry up there with the cup, they are a seriously good side and well done to them.

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

darbyo

Waterford and Cork gone.....I don't think so. Cork will win at least one AI in the next 3 years and Waterford have at least another one or two years in them. Also Waterford are a much better team than Limerick and would have done much better today.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: darbyo on September 02, 2007, 06:54:07 PM
Waterford and Cork gone.....I don't think so. Cork will win at least one AI in the next 3 years and Waterford have at least another one or two years in them. Also Waterford are a much better team than Limerick and would have done much better today.

Cork are gone for a few years, could/should lose some crucial players due to retiremnet, frankly the news guys that have came in over the last two years are not up to replacing them. Waterford are just not up there! Bit like the Irish rugby team, they are either great or terrible!

From the Bunker

Well done to Kilkenny today. Class Outfit. Sad day again for hurling, with one of the big two cruising to a 30th AI. Don't get me wrong but the hurling draw setup has amounted to farce this year and some how managed to let average teams such as Wexford and Limerick progress further than they really merited. Ironically both teams ended up making the winning of Liam easier for KK. This is no fault of Kilkenny, but they really won this years AI in second gear. As a mayo man hurling is as natural to me as Australian Rules football. They are great strides being made in the county but our County would be hammered by an average Kilkenny intermediate club team. Can we get rid of the title of AI as there are really only 8 teams who compete? Quarter Irelands would be a better title. Roll on 2008......wonder who will be in the final, hard one that!

INDIANA

Cork will win at least one AI in the next 3 years

not so sure about that. all their key men would have to remain at  their peak  while adding others. I think they've dropped back abit from kilkenny. I think Waterford must be kicking themselves after that today- they would have put up a better show- but their back line would never have held the kk forwards. If anything Waterford probably play too much hurling but at least we'd have had a good final- nearly fell asleep watching it unfortunately.

darbyo

Lads, Cork have loads of players coming through. Again they were in the minor final and were only beaten by a very good Galway team in the u21. In addition they have a huge pool of players and many of their current squad are still young and in great condition, 3-5 players making the grade in the next 2-3 years would have them back up there. Anyway with such a small pool of competitive teams they have to have a great chance of making a final in the next 3 years.

orangeman

It's over and Kilkenny have just collec ted their 30th!

Any word of Shefflin ???

slow corner back

Kilkenny are a fabulous side and are fully deserving of this all-ireland, however I don't think everyone should be handing them next years trophy just yet!! If Shefflin has done his cruciate that is a very serious blow as he will miss the most of 12 months at least. Also they have been on the go a serious time can they sustain the hunger. Kilkenny have never done three in a row despite producing some of the finest teams ever. It will be much more difficult for them next year without HS and with the weight of history on their shoulders. Can they win it again? Yes they are a superb side however they are not unstoppable and should not be thought of as so. For tonight however congrats to all involved with a superb team and good luck to all hurling people for next year.

agorm

Quote from: slow corner back on September 02, 2007, 08:42:11 PM
Kilkenny are a fabulous side and are fully deserving of this all-ireland, however I don't think everyone should be handing them next years trophy just yet!! If Shefflin has done his cruciate that is a very serious blow as he will miss the most of 12 months at least. Also they have been on the go a serious time can they sustain the hunger. Kilkenny have never done three in a row despite producing some of the finest teams ever. It will be much more difficult for them next year without HS and with the weight of history on their shoulders. Can they win it again? Yes they are a superb side however they are not unstoppable and should not be thought of as so. For tonight however congrats to all involved with a superb team and good luck to all hurling people for next year.

After hearing Shefflin's speech I am convinced that Waterford would also have lost to Kilkenny. As far as the Kilkenny panel were concerned this was about winning the AI for the McGarry's and that gave them the motivation to add to the undoubted talent, nous and experience that they have.
When you have a team like Kilkenny, you have to hope that they are just not as hungry as you and that they are happy with their lot and you get them on an off day, as it turns out that was never going to happen and Kilkenny were as hungry if not hungrier than Likmerick on the day.  A bit like Dublin Kerry last week, Dublin should never have started messing as it got the Kerry gander up and was the motivation they needed to go the extra yard against the dubs.

Ref was awful,

Hurler on the Bitch

As a man from Antrim I have to despair at what I saw today. I have sat in Croker and watch the Saffrons put it up TO - FOR A FEW MINUTES -  teams, only to realise -YET AGAIN - that they were just not up to it. For Limerick, .. if that was the best of the rest, well God help us! I was in the Hogan and it was apparent that the Cats are on a different planet... They have taken this game to a higher sphere and nobody can match them. Kilkenny Limerick as a final... ? This would have been an appropriate 1st round clash in the NHL... no sweat nor excitement for 82,000 and an exhibition by the Cats ... Waterford ... they would have been stuffed today also..................... Kilkenny in Leinster next year.....waste of time..

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Congratulations to Kilkenny on their All-Ireland, clearly the best team by some distance this summer. Shame Limerick made such a poor start on the day (and Kilkenny making a fantastic start too in fairness), they were always going to be up against it nevermind finding themselves 9 points down inside the first 10 minutes.

From the Bunker

Forgot earlier, Ref Terrible! Talk about trying to balance out a game with one sided decisions!

darbyo

Not sure that I'd agree that Waterford would also have been stuffed. Limerick are much poor than Waterford and Waterford have serious scoring potential. In saying that I agree Kilkenny would probably have beaten them.