la liga thread

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 20, 2012, 07:18:08 PM
Quote from: paco on February 20, 2012, 01:37:11 PM
Xavi has had some continuity at international level, in terms of always playing with mostly the same group of players and under the same manager for a long time. Whereas Messi played under Maradona at the last world cup, a great footballer but not much of a manager! He still played very well, even under such conditions, he never scored but he set up almost every goal they scored. I think 2014 is made for Messi, similar age to Maradona in '86 and he'll be hitting his peak, it will be interesting to see if Germany and Spain will still be the main international footballing nations by then, but Argentina have some good young players coming through too.

As i said a few posts back a World cup medal is the only thing missing from Messi CV. At 25 Maradona carried Argentina to the World cup in 1986.

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 20, 2012, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 20, 2012, 03:06:32 PM
Saw some stat that Messi has 26, with two from penalties, and Ronaldo has 28 with ten from penalties.
He is also only a handful of goals away from being Barca's all time top scorer at 24 years old!

What's the Real Madrid all time top scorer record?

Raul with 320+

ONeill

It's all well and good prancing around the fields of Spain but how would the Argentinian get on in the Ulster Championship? Socrates togged out for Cavan in the McKenna Cup and had his arse handed to him by Audi Hamilton.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mouview

Quote from: paco on February 20, 2012, 01:37:11 PM
Xavi has had some continuity at international level, in terms of always playing with mostly the same group of players and under the same manager for a long time. Whereas Messi played under Maradona at the last world cup, a great footballer but not much of a manager! He still played very well, even under such conditions, he never scored but he set up almost every goal they scored. I think 2014 is made for Messi, similar age to Maradona in '86 and he'll be hitting his peak, it will be interesting to see if Germany and Spain will still be the main international footballing nations by then, but Argentina have some good young players coming through too.

Arguably, Argentina have had the best teams at the past 2 WCs, 2006 in Germany in particular, but were badly managed, especially in South Africa. They were having the better of the host nation in '06 and were 1-0 up but fatally their manager went defensive (took off Tevez if I remember) and let the Germans back into it. Pekerman didn't last long when he returned home. Rumour has it Maradona was jealous of Messi and didn't set up the team to play to his strengths. The Argies would have some offense if they could get a proper manager to organise them right.

ross4life

Was Mourinho 100th match as Real Madrid manager tonight, 3-2 win over Real Betis in a top game. 13 points clear at moment. Another two goals for Ronaldo (currently 4 ahead of Messi ) is he going to win another pichichi trophy?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Quote from: ross4life on March 10, 2012, 10:56:36 PM
Was Mourinho 100th match as Real Madrid manager tonight, 3-2 win over Real Betis in a top game. 13 points clear at moment. Another two goals for Ronaldo (currently 4 ahead of Messi ) is he going to win another pichichi trophy?

Real will win it but he knows Barca are a better side.

tyroneman

Quote. Real will win it but he knows Barca are a better side.   

The best side that wins the league is, ipso facto, the best side in the league.

ONeill

Quote from: tyroneman on March 11, 2012, 09:02:51 AM
Quote. Real will win it but he knows Barca are a better side.   

The best side that wins the league is, ipso facto, the best side in the league.

There is no doubt that over the course of the season, Madrid look best equipped to win La Liga. But head-to-head Barca are the better side in my opinion.

Main Street

Head to head, Barca have trounced Madrid this season and are the better team in most opinions, apart from the contrarians.

trileacman

Barca are the better side. Real may win the league but straight knock-out is the measure of greatness in all sport.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Captain Obvious

That's some lead at the top in fairness more wins more goals than Barcelona also.

EagleLord

Quote from: trileacman on March 11, 2012, 12:52:52 PM
Barca are the better side. Real may win the league but straight knock-out is the measure of greatness in all sport.

Yeh it should be. Same way we do in the GAA. To us, championship is miles more important than league. In soccer, teams would rather win the league over cup any day of the week! There are arguments for both sides of it of course.

I would regularly debate with my english friend that the knockout competition i.e cup, should be a better measure of a team, knockout all the way, pressure, lose and your out, bring that mentality to every game. league you can have a bad spell and lose games and still win the title. He argues that a league winning side is more consistant, its more about the long haul, the marathon, cup games are all one-offs, and you can raise your game each time, and luck plays a big part. Which is the complete opposite of the way we are all brought up, championship is everything, league not important. Strange how the minds works. 

trileacman

Quote from: EagleLord on March 11, 2012, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 11, 2012, 12:52:52 PM

Yeh it should be. Same way we do in the GAA. To us, championship is miles more important than league. In soccer, teams would rather win the league over cup any day of the week! There are arguments for both sides of it of course.

I would regularly debate with my english friend that the knockout competition i.e cup, should be a better measure of a team, knockout all the way, pressure, lose and your out, bring that mentality to every game. league you can have a bad spell and lose games and still win the title. He argues that a league winning side is more consistant, its more about the long haul, the marathon, cup games are all one-offs, and you can raise your game each time, and luck plays a big part. Which is the complete opposite of the way we are all brought up, championship is everything, league not important. Strange how the minds works.

Yeah but the English are probably in the minority there.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyroneman

So by this 'straight knock out' logic when real beat barca in the copa del ray final last year THEY were the best team?

Of if stoke put man u or city out of the FA cup........

Yes this Barca side will go down as a great but this year RM are every bit as exiting and 10 points clear.

EagleLord

Quote from: tyroneman on March 11, 2012, 10:35:57 PM
So by this 'straight knock out' logic when real beat barca in the copa del ray final last year THEY were the best team?

Of if stoke put man u or city out of the FA cup........

Yes this Barca side will go down as a great but this year RM are every bit as exiting and 10 points clear.

Yeh. Just think of it from a GAA point of view, Kerry beat Dublin home and away in the league and are crowned League Champions, but I doubt the Dubs care. As Dublin won the AllIreland championship, beating Kerry along the way. See what i mean? Knockout is more important. Thats the way we look at it, but soccer is the opposite.

screenexile

Whatever about winning La Liga yes Real have been better domestically this season. Having said that if Barca win the Champion's League they will be hailed as the best in the world. And rightly so in my opinion!!