Football Free for All or A Fight in November?

Started by T Fearon, August 24, 2007, 10:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteLast Tuesday night BBC tv broadcast a special on a current Fulham striker with a below average club career who has scored a few goals against underachieving international sides recently

Relace Fulham with Spurs and it could have been about Robbie Keane.

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on August 24, 2007, 01:50:42 PM
Galwaybaybhoy if you lived up here you wouldn't want to see them qualifying for anything.

Not being as much of a bigot as Fearon, I have to disagree with this.
OK, they arent my favourite team in the world but I would like to see them do well & qualify.
Healy seems like a down to earth lad & fair play to him. He was realistic about his limited chances he had at Utd, when he would have been 5/6/7th chioce striker.
The coverage local soccer gets up here is OTT in comparison to GAA, but that is another point for a different thread.
Tony, you used to support the North - lend them a bit of support when they have a chance of qualifying for a major tournament ;)

Gabriel_Hurl

Sir David isn't quite the good lad he's made out to be

When Leeds were in bother last season - all the players bar 2 took pay cuts to help the club - I wonder who one of the holdouts were?  ??? ??? ??? ???

SammyG

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 24, 2007, 02:03:31 PM
Sir David isn't quite the good lad he's made out to be

When Leeds were in bother last season - all the players bar 2 took pay cuts to help the club - I wonder who one of the holdouts were?  ??? ??? ??? ???

WTF should he take a paycut to bail out the crooks at Leeds? If you're boss abused his position and left your company in debt, would you accept a paycut, to help him out, while he pocketed millions?

Galwaybhoy

Galwaybaybhoy if you lived up here you wouldn't want to see them qualifying for anything. Life would be unbearable. Last Tuesday night BBC tv broadcast a special on a current Fulham striker with a below average club career who has scored a few goals against underachieving international sides recently (after going two years without him or any of his teammates scoring at all). Would be like RTE broadcasting a tribute to Lee Carsley!

Imagine the overkill we'd all have to endure if they actually qualified for something?????

First of, Im  not Galwaybayboy Tone. 
Second, I dont rate Healy as a great player at all (yes I know what he has done for the north of Ireland soccer team).  Your description up there could easily fit our own Robbie Keane.  He scores goals against poor international sides and against some big teams in friendlies, but where is he ever when we play teams like France, Czech Rep, Germany etc?  How many times has he scored goals when we most need them.  Has he even scored a goal against one of the bigger international sides in a friendly since the penalty against Spain in the World Cup in 2002?

And you dont need to worry about them qualifying Tone.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: full back on August 24, 2007, 02:01:38 PM
Galwaybaybhoy if you lived up here you wouldn't want to see them qualifying for anything.
The coverage local soccer gets up here is OTT in comparison to GAA, but that is another point for a different thread.

Agreed full back...and fecking bikes too.  Is it me or about every other night is there coverage of some bunch of JohnJoes??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Orior

I thought soccer was a team game. Is Healy a team player or not?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MW

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on August 24, 2007, 02:13:49 PM
Galwaybaybhoy if you lived up here you wouldn't want to see them qualifying for anything. Life would be unbearable. Last Tuesday night BBC tv broadcast a special on a current Fulham striker with a below average club career who has scored a few goals against underachieving international sides recently (after going two years without him or any of his teammates scoring at all). Would be like RTE broadcasting a tribute to Lee Carsley!

Imagine the overkill we'd all have to endure if they actually qualified for something?????

First of, Im  not Galwaybayboy Tone. 
Second, I dont rate Healy as a great player at all (yes I know what he has done for the north of Ireland soccer team).  Your description up there could easily fit our own Robbie Keane.  He scores goals against poor international sides and against some big teams in friendlies, but where is he ever when we play teams like France, Czech Rep, Germany etc?  How many times has he scored goals when we most need them.  Has he even scored a goal against one of the bigger international sides in a friendly since the penalty against Spain in the World Cup in 2002?

It doesn't fit David Healy terribly well though, given that among his goals in the current series alone, he's scored a hat-trick in a 3-2 win against Spain (third in the group currently, and a point behind us) and two in a 2-1 win over Sweden (top of the group currently, and 2 points ahead of us). That's without getting into the other goals he's scored against good European opposition in both competitive and friendly matches.

MW

Quote from: Orior on August 24, 2007, 02:19:13 PM
I thought soccer was a team game. Is Healy a team player or not?

He plays for a team, yes. Within that team his main role is to score goals. Given that record he's a very valuable member of the NI team, among others.

MW

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 24, 2007, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: full back on August 24, 2007, 02:01:38 PM

Agreed full back...and fecking bikes too.  Is it me or about every other night is there coverage of some bunch of JohnJoes??

On the motor"sports" stuff I'd agree. Someone somehere has an odd obsession with it.

his holiness nb

From the coverage over the years I always thought you nordies were all mad into the motorbikes.  :-[
Ask me holy bollix

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 24, 2007, 02:51:08 PM
From the coverage over the years I always thought you nordies were all mad into the motorbikes.  :-[

That's what the evil BBC NI and UTV want you to beleive HH.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

MW

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 24, 2007, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 24, 2007, 02:51:08 PM

That's what the evil BBC NI and UTV want you to beleive HH.

You'd think that malarkey was our national sport or something if BBC NI and UTV were used as a guide!

The Subbie

what about that inter galatic wind surfing/waterskiing championship thingy from Enniskillen recently  ???  what the f**k was all that about , probably good for Enniskillen but do we really want to  be watching 3 hours of that pish?