Name your top 15 Footballers of the last 15 years

Started by Louth Exile, August 23, 2007, 03:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Muzz

Only a Derry man could mention Enda Gormley in the Top 15 Footballers in the last 15 years.  Get real!

Next we will have the mention of big Geoffrey!!!

galla

Am i the only one who thinks Tommy Dowd should be in

Rav67

O'Leary

Scullion    Fay   O'Connell
Downey McGeeney Moynihan

Tohill O'Se

Donnellan Giles  Fitzgerald
McDonnell Corkery  Canavan

Balboa

Quote from: thebandit on August 24, 2007, 05:45:46 PM
Enda Gormley ahead of Oisin?!!!

The topic is Top 15 Footballers not freetakers......

J70

Pointless exercise this, as you could list ten teams that would all be equally good.

But, for the sake of argument (and with a slight hometown bias... :P)

O'Leary
Scullion Fay McGowan
O'Malley McGeeney Moynihan
O'Se Tohill
Giles Donnellan Fitzgerald
Canavan T. Boyle Joyce

Mourne Rover

These exercises can be good fun, but many people tend to rate players on the basis of performances from the end of their careers rather than when they were in their prime. There is little point in comparing the Mickey Linden of 2003, who was so fit that he could still play county football as an impact sub at 40, with the 1994 version, who was simply unplayable.  Similarly, anyone who saw James McCartan or  Greg Blaney at the height of their powers would automatically include them. When age and injuries caught up with them, it might be a different story. Down fans know we had three forwards who turned the existing GAA order on its head in the early 90s. I don't think anyone has since matched their achievements, but I'm not neutral.

ONeill

Quote from: galla on August 24, 2007, 06:55:41 PM
Am i the only one who thinks Tommy Dowd should be in

No, Tommy Dowd is up there. I'd even say Olly Murphy was one of the best for a period of time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Balboa

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 24, 2007, 11:33:30 PM
These exercises can be good fun, but many people tend to rate players on the basis of performances from the end of their careers rather than when they were in their prime. There is little point in comparing the Mickey Linden of 2003, who was so fit that he could still play county football as an impact sub at 40, with the 1994 version, who was simply unplayable.  Similarly, anyone who saw James McCartan or  Greg Blaney at the height of their powers would automatically include them. When age and injuries caught up with them, it might be a different story. Down fans know we had three forwards who turned the existing GAA order on its head in the early 90s. I don't think anyone has since matched their achievements, but I'm not neutral.

In fairness i heard that bollix Brolly talking about that Down forward line a few years ago and he was almost in awe of them. Hard to believe i know !

5 Sams

Quote from Blackhall gael

QuoteAs the period in question is now 93->07 it could be argued that Robbie O'Malley, Larry Tompkins, Colm O'Rourke & Mickey Linden would drop off that team as their best football was past them by 93.

Mickey Linden cleaned out the entire Dublin defence in the AIF in 94 and got player of the year the same year...ye fcukin eejit
The Aristocrat Years

new devil

Quote from: thebandit on August 24, 2007, 11:46:18 AM
Quote from: North Longford on August 24, 2007, 09:00:35 AM
Bit off topic here lads but see Tony Scullion mention a few times there.
Saw him take a training session a few weeks ago and thought he was fantastic.
Serious passion for the game

I have taken part in a few sessions he has been in charge of - He's absolutely excellent

He manage us for 3 years, took us from the jaws of division 3 till the top of division 1, Ive never meet a man who loves the game as much... and he's a gentleman

orangeman

Scullion is a top man - full of enthusiasm - a tough clean player and Tyrone folk always admired him.

Maximus Marillius

Cluxton
Gromely
Fay
Scullion
Geratey
Mc Geeney
Moynihan
Tohill
O'Shea
Fitzgerald
Mc Guigan