Name your top 15 Footballers of the last 15 years

Started by Louth Exile, August 23, 2007, 03:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

My recollection of the period 1992-1995 is fairly hazy as I was only beginning to follow GAA regularly back then so my team is more a team of the past 10 years than past 15.

S Cluxton

SM Lockhart
D Fay
M McCarthy

S Og de Paor
S Moynihan
K McGeeney

D O'Se
K Walsh or P McGrane

M Fitzgerald
B McGuigan
M Donnellan

P Canavan
P Joyce
C Cooper

Very difficult. So many good players left out that could easily be in there. McDonnell, Ja Fallon, McConville, Geraghty, McDonald, Giles, T O'Se, etc, etc.

thebandit

Quote from: North Longford on August 24, 2007, 09:00:35 AM
Bit off topic here lads but see Tony Scullion mention a few times there.
Saw him take a training session a few weeks ago and thought he was fantastic.
Serious passion for the game

I have taken part in a few sessions he has been in charge of - He's absolutely excellent

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Boozehell on August 24, 2007, 11:38:22 AM

Wobbler I'm surprised you picked Mc Donnell ahead of James Mc Cartan for the Corner position and Oisin Mc Conville ahead of the current Down team manager Ross Carr two men with two All Ireland medals and two who are lucky two get one medal.

the question is to name the top 15 footballers of the last 15 years not the players with the most ai ,if that was the case it would be 15 Kerry Lads
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

behind the wire

how anyone picks their team without mentioning greg blaney is having a laugh. they can say all they like about mcguigan but blaney was the man.

in my opinion colm o rourke should definitely be in there too. does bernard flynn not deserve a mention?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Boozehell

You miss my point.  First of all picking a team from the last 10/15 yeasr without James Mc Cartan and Ross Carr two of the best forwards in Ulster for most of the 90s is nonsense.  Secondly Brian Stafford from Meath deserves to be a team from the best players from that era also.
Down GAA to the last.

the Deel Rover

its impossible for everyone to agree on the top 15 Footballers but with all the names been listed we have been very lucky to see all these players in action, all of these players are top class footballers in their own right who have given us hours of entertainment all because of their love of the game ain't that what the gaa is all about.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Boozehell on August 24, 2007, 11:58:26 AM
You miss my point.  First of all picking a team from the last 10/15 yeasr without James Mc Cartan and Ross Carr two of the best forwards in Ulster for most of the 90s is nonsense.  Secondly Brian Stafford from Meath deserves to be a team from the best players from that era also.

Brian Stafford retired in 1994. Going back 15 years bring us back to 1992. I think even Stafford himself would agree that his best years were well past him by then.

Louth Exile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 24, 2007, 12:03:26 PM
its impossible for everyone to agree on the top 15 Footballers but with all the names been listed we have been very lucky to see all these players in action, all of these players are top class footballers in their own right who have given us hours of entertainment all because of their love of the game ain't that what the gaa is all about.

I'll second that
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

MaroonAndWhite

Im going to nominate Gary Fahy for full back spot.....i know the consensus on here is that Fay was the outstanding full back of last 15 years but if you look back i think you will find that there wasnt many, if any, full forwards that got the better of Fahy. As cute a hoor as youre likely to get in no 3........youd not see him and you could be sure youd not see his man either! Think the Galway folk on here would agree with me. You dont have to be blood and thunder and knockin lads on their arses (ala Francie!) to be very effective at full back. He soldiered with Galway in their less conspicuous years and was probably their best player pre '98.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 24, 2007, 01:41:19 PM
Im going to nominate Gary Fahy for full back spot.....i know the consensus on here is that Fay was the outstanding full back of last 15 years but if you look back i think you will find that there wasnt many, if any, full forwards that got the better of Fahy. As cute a hoor as youre likely to get in no 3........youd not see him and you could be sure youd not see his man either! Think the Galway folk on here would agree with me. You dont have to be blood and thunder and knockin lads on their arses (ala Francie!) to be very effective at full back. He soldiered with Galway in their less conspicuous years and was probably their best player pre '98.

I agree that Fahy was grossly underrated but he still wasn't as good as Fay. Everyone kept waiting for Fahy to get roasted but it very rarely happened. He was just an unfashionable sort of player who never really caught the eye but he was a very clever full-back.

magpie seanie

Fahy was a great player but Fay is unquestionably the best full back of the era in question. There are so many class players who won't feature on this because lets face it - the competition is seriously hot!

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2007, 01:47:02 PM
Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 24, 2007, 01:41:19 PM

I agree that Fahy was grossly underrated but he still wasn't as good as Fay. Everyone kept waiting for Fahy to get roasted but it very rarely happened. He was just an unfashionable sort of player who never really caught the eye but he was a very clever full-back.

Well he was similar to Francie in one way......he got through a career in the maroon and white without kicking a ball! The one time I saw him kick it it got us a free to draw against Rossies in 1998!

thewobbler

Boozehell, Ross and James were fantastic players. Carr was comfortable anywhere on the field and was a proper footballer. Wee James was a revelation for 3-4 seasons, a bonafide superstar when Gaelic Football was ascending in popularity again. But both McConville and McDonnell have been among the top scorers in the country for the best part of a decade. Both are big game players, and when both retire, Armagh will be a long time waiting for their like to appear again. Particularly so in McDonnell's case. Forwards of that all-round ability and that consistency rarely appear on the scene.

regarding my team earlier, I somehow overlooked Sean Cavanagh. Big Dermy just got the chop. Michael Donnellan would be no.32.

Graham Garrity

Newbridge Exile

1 John O'Leary     
2 Kieran McKeever
3 Darren Fay
4 Tony Scullion   
5 Thomas O'Se
6 Kieran McGeeney
7 Seamus Moynihan
8 Dara O'Se
9 Anthony Tohill
10 Trevor Giles