Pat Spillane on top with Des Cahill

Started by LegalEagle, August 22, 2007, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegalEagle

Pat Spillane on Des Cahill Show castigated Tyrone football tonight. He criticised the negative tactics of Tyrone and Armagh footballers and blamed the mangers

Hound

Quote from: LegalEagle on August 22, 2007, 07:00:20 PM
Pat Spillane on Des Cahill Show castigated Tyrone football tonight. He criticised the negative tactics of Tyrone and Armagh footballers and blamed the mangers
Christ, I was listening to the interivew, ableit I missed about a minute of it as I travelled from my car to my house, but I never heard him even mention Tyrone or Armagh!

Mike Sheehy

Maybe the Ulster bies have gone mad with the lack of football..they are hearing things

never kickt a ball

Find it repeated here. An interview with the Kerry great.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetimesport/1121119.html

RTE must be trying to tackle all the adverse criticism he is shipping at the moment

Tyrone Dreamer

Cant comment on the interview as I didnt here it but his attitude and constant digs at the northern teams are a disgrace to the gaa, who's ethos are based on unity. His criticism is way over the top and seems to be based on geography. Id say close to 50% of his Sunday world articles involve a dig at Tyrone football even though Tyrone have been relatively quiet this past 2 years. In 2005 he sat in the Sunday game studio and said Tyrone were great champions and played pure football etc. He seems to have wiped all the classic matches of that year out of his system and instead focuses on 2 poor games in 2003. Every other county in Ireland have been involved in poor  games over the past few years but dont get a mention. Cork for example have been involved in 2 all ireland semis with Kerry and a quarter with Sligo that have been at best woeful. Those 2 semi's dont get a mention becasue the result favoured Kerry. Id even say that many neutrals found the 03 semi more entertaining than those 2 with Cork. Why does he never mention Cork's style of play? They have more men behind the ball than the ulster teams and do a lot more handpasssing. It also has to be pointed out that Tyrone have been involved in more classic games this past 5 years than Kerry. I cant understand why he wants to keep putting the boot in Tyrone and other ulster teams, especially now they're out. Im biased but I for one dont feel the championship is a better place without at least 1 of the ulster teams at the semi stage.

Star Spangler

Jayz, TyroneDreamer, it sounds like you actually put value on what thon eejit has to say.  The lad has a big chip on his shoulder about Northern Ireland - it's not about the football. :o

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I dont understand why people are still getting so upset about Spillaine. His constant attacks on Ulster sides are either an act to wind Northern fans up and give him loads of publicity or else he's simply a deluded clown. Either way he cant be taken seriously as a pundit, ignore him!

jodyb

Most of us agree that hes a f##kin clown, but the irony is that, this year and next year, just like the last 5 or 6 years, the same clown will make thousands at guest appearances in any number of ulster clubs!!

orangeman

Pat Spillane really doesn't command much respect or attention now - he's trying to catch up but is failing miserably.

Fear ón Srath Bán

T'is no wonder he's so poisoned -- in all his involvement with the teams of Mick O'Dwyer, not once did Micko mention the opposition, or key opposition players (by his own assertion)! The poor man's demented by the beautiful, disingenuous, naïve nostalgia of it all! (Could someone break it to him gently it's 2007 for Christ's sake!)  ???
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

I honestly do believe that Pat was insanely jealous of the plaudits Tyrone and Armagh were receiving. This is remarkable for a man with so many Celtic crosses and All-Stars. When Tyrone defeated Kerry with an attractive brand of high tempo support play and finsihing in 2005, he congratulated us through gritted teeth, but within 6 months he'd wiped it out of his memory bank and reverted back to August 2003. Pat didn't want the media to recognise that Tyrone had taken what Kerry were so good at in 1980 onto another level. He harps on about 'foot' not 'hand'. His Kerry were the masters of the 'hand'ball.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

O'Neill, may I take the liberty of adridging your post? Precis we used to call it when I was at school.

QuoteI honestly do believe that Pat was insane [chop]

ONeill

You oul boys.....

What's the general consensus on Spillane in Kerry itself? Sheehy? KM?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2007, 12:06:05 AM
What's the general consensus on Spillane in Kerry itself?

I get the impression he's like the mad uncle. He splits the family (Kingdom) into two factions, with one half hyper-critical and the other half hyper-supportive, but if anyone from outside the family (Kingdom) dares say a word against him, they'll cleave together quicker than a zany zipper to assail the assailant!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

Great footballer in his day, was prone to a bit a play acting but scored some bamboozling points and goals for us, the torture he put himself through to regain fitness after a couple of major knee operations has to be respected, swiming accross Kenmare Bay and strapping big weights to his ankles are the signs of a mad man, he will carry his footballing injuries with him for life. His first book was just about readable and stirred up alot of ruptions in the Kingdom, his second was pure yerra.

He's a typical Cute Kerry Hoor, He winds people up on the SG and in the SW but dont take him too seriously dont read or watch him if he pisses you off that much, I laugh at him mostly. He is very passionate about Football and if he is a little biased towards the Kingdom so be it, anyone that has met him or called into his pub will always get a warm welcome.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football