O Leary gets the all clear

Started by meathie, August 22, 2007, 12:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

orangeman

magpie seanie

I was at that match and the only gougers I saw were on the Hill with flagons of Linton Village under their oxters.

Declan

Good article alright. Fair play to him for coming through those life experiences. Must be very tough for him.

Anyone who has played football at all has made mistakes or done something they shouldn't have. I think the thing here is that the rule clearly states that he should have been sent off for a punch so how Crowe can say he made the right decision is beyond me. Anyway it's over now so good luck to him for the final

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2007, 02:19:11 PM
I was at that match and the only gougers I saw were on the Hill with flagons of Linton Village under their oxters.

Whats this 'Linton Village'?  One of Sean's potions?

Is it anyway related to Linden Village?

magpie seanie

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2007, 02:39:54 PM
QED.  ;)

You see that's why you didn't see the gouging - too busy worrying about brands of cider.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on August 23, 2007, 12:55:37 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 22, 2007, 05:13:27 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 22, 2007, 04:46:26 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 22, 2007, 04:44:05 PM
What gives you the right to call Noel O'Leary a sc**bag? I'd reckon he's a grand fella.

If some of the Dubs did that to Geraghty you'd be cheering or in a very silent minority so save us the feigned outrage.

first of all only a sc**bag would just punch a man in the face when he isn't expecting it.

And secondly you don't see dublin players do this type of stuff!

So by that logic Ciaran Whelan is a sc**bag for elbowing David Mitchell in the face when he wasn't expecting it? Agree or disagree???

O'Leary has been in trouble on the pitch before, of that there is no doubt, and technically should be missing the final. However anyone who wants to call his character into question should take the time to read the article on him from the Tribure last Sunday before they go mouthing off!!!

Mitchell had just creamed Whelan out of it late and as Whelan attempted to get up, Mitchell did a 'Dennis Wise' on it.

Oh Christ, another hoganstand intellectual heavyweight  ::) What the fcuk is a 'Dennis Wise'? Actually don't bother, I don't want to know, just found this website that will keep me occupied www.grassgrowingchampionships.com... Will bring in the DVD and rip the segment tomorrow, not the first time this incident has been discussed...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 23, 2007, 02:50:28 PM
What gives you the right to call Noel O'Leary a sc**bag? I'd reckon he's a grand fella.

If some of the Dubs did that to Geraghty you'd be cheering or in a very silent minority so save us the feigned outrage.

first of all only a sc**bag would just punch a man in the face when he isn't expecting it.

So by that logic Ciaran Whelan is a sc**bag for elbowing David Mitchell in the face when he wasn't expecting it? Agree or disagree???

O'Leary has been in trouble on the pitch before, of that there is no doubt, and technically should be missing the final. However anyone who wants to call his character into question should take the time to read the article on him from the Tribure last Sunday before they go mouthing off!!!

Mitchell had just creamed Whelan out of it late and as Whelan attempted to get up, Mitchell did a 'Dennis Wise' on it.

Oh Christ, another hoganstand intellectual heavyweight  ::) What the fcuk is a 'Dennis Wise'? Actually don't bother, I don't want to know, just found this website that will keep me occupied www.grassgrowingchampionships.com... Will bring in the DVD and rip the segment tomorrow, not the first time this incident has been discussed...

Good man.

In the absence of any form of discussion of the issue, start hurling insults.

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 23, 2007, 02:50:28 PM

Don't forget to mention that Mitchell was also booked for what happened, and that he'd commited about six late tackle fouls (by my count iirc) and he only on the pitch about ten minutes by that point.

Maybe Paidi said he'd split some of his big salary with him and Mitchell couldn't contain himself..

Jinxy

Quote from: heffo on August 23, 2007, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2007, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 23, 2007, 12:53:32 PM

Crawford was trying to gouge him

Moyles gouged Darren Homan midway through the second half of the same game and he required an eye operation.

Holy sweet Jesus Christ it's getting funnier. What does "gouge" mean? It's usually taken to mean poking a finger in the eye. You must have been very close to the action to take that interpretation from Crawford's action. And Moyles must have fancy footwork indeed if he can gougea man in the eye by standing on his back (an action he should have walked for).

And in any case, what have yoiur two observations got to do with the discussion?

Yeah poking a finger in one's eye - I was at the game - Cusack halfway line lower - Crawford had his hands all over Whelans face - you could also see it clearly on the tv replay.

Moyles should indeed have walked for the stamp, but I can't see what that has to do with Moyles poking his finger in Homans eye - this is a matter of record, so maybe you should check your facts.

WRT what his has to with the discussion, Whelan was brought into the discussion and I put his actions in context.

You're crazy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2007, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 23, 2007, 01:24:03 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2007, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 23, 2007, 12:53:32 PM

Crawford was trying to gouge him

Moyles gouged Darren Homan midway through the second half of the same game and he required an eye operation.

Holy sweet Jesus Christ it's getting funnier. What does "gouge" mean? It's usually taken to mean poking a finger in the eye. You must have been very close to the action to take that interpretation from Crawford's action. And Moyles must have fancy footwork indeed if he can gougea man in the eye by standing on his back (an action he should have walked for).

And in any case, what have yoiur two observations got to do with the discussion?

Yeah poking a finger in one's eye - I was at the game - Cusack halfway line lower - Crawford had his hands all over Whelans face - you could also see it clearly on the tv replay.

Moyles should indeed have walked for the stamp, but I can't see what that has to do with Moyles poking his finger in Homans eye - this is a matter of record, so maybe you should check your facts.

WRT what his has to with the discussion, Whelan was brought into the discussion and I put his actions in context.

You're crazy.

Sure Jinxy

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2007, 04:13:07 PM
And not in a good way.

You are right of course.

Crawford didn't have his hands anywhere near Whelan's face prior to throw in and Homan was discharged from the Mater after the game with an acute dose of hypochondria.

Gnevin

GAA rulebook is more of a mule than an ass
Tools

* Print Print
    * Email Email

Search Search Go

Thursday August 23 2007

SO it's back to where we started then. If the law is an ass, the GAA's disciplinary system is pure mule -- stubborn, unpredictable and sometimes downright stupid.

This is a stupid week when, after years of overhaul, the system collapsed under the weight of one punch. All the careful streamlining of disciplinary procedures means absolutely nothing when a player who punches an opponent faces no consequences.

By accepting that a crazy rule prevents them from proceeding with a hearing arising from Noel O'Leary's punch on Graham Geraghty in the Cork-Meath semi-final, the GAA has sent out a clear message to all players that, in certain circumstances, they can get away with virtually anything.

Let's separate the emotion from the reality. Nobody wants to see a player miss an All-Ireland final through suspension, but if he punches an opponent then he should face sanctions, irrespective of the time of year. And any disciplinary system which fails to deliver that has no credibility.

After consulting with his linesman, referee Brian Crowe booked O'Leary following the clash with Geraghty. Presumably, the referee didn't see the incident (why else would he check with the linesman?) so when he was asked by the Central Competition Controls Committee to review the video, he had two choices.

He could have decided that having seen the incident on video, he felt it was more serious than originally thought, which would have enabled the CCCC to begin disciplinary procedures against O'Leary, or he could have stated that he had taken appropriate action, in which case that was the end of the matter.

Since no case is being brought, one assumes he offered the latter explanation which raises a serious question -- how can a referee deem that a punch to the face is not a sending-off offence? Under current regulations, no further action is taken if the referee is satisfied with how he dealt with an incident, irrespective of what the video shows.

It's a bizarre system because it requires the referee to admit he got it wrong before a case can commence.

The CCCC should be allowed to proceed independently, irrespective of what the referee says, especially in a case where video evidence is clear. Instead, it runs aground on the word of a referee whose view should hold no more import than the investigating committee once the game is over and the video evidence is available.

Only last week the GAA was congratulating itself on an improved discipline record this summer, yet we now have a situation where a player who was seen to strike an opponent faced minimum sanction during the game (a yellow card) and none whatsoever afterwards.

It comes at a time when an incident involving Dublin hurler Peadar Carton, who was originally suspended for six weeks, continues to drag on, and a few weeks after Meath stomped their Royal feet and had Jimmy McKee replaced as referee for the qualifier clash with Galway because they were unhappy with his handling of the clash with Dublin.

All of which goes to prove that where the GAA's disciplinary system is concerned, the more it changes, the more it stays the same.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/gaa-rulebook-is-more-of-a-mule-than-an-ass-1064161.html
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.