ARMAGH arrests in Donegal drugs swoop

Started by Candyman, August 21, 2007, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 22, 2007, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: Louis the Red on August 21, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
I heard it was a father and son lifted, anyone hear that?

I heard something similar, but the ages given on the BBC don't match the names I heard

The BBC have the ages wrong but it is the same two people as informed El Cuervo

guy crouchback

QuoteThere plenty of harm in it Donagh and there is a reason why it is illegal. Society is fecked over there at the minute, drug gangs are raking in money and destroying the fabric of Irish society whilst peddling misery upon the gobshites who partake of the stuff who then start to rob and harm innocent people because of their addiction.

two points on this. 1. drug gangs are not destroying the fabric of irish society. yes they are tormenting some communities and creating plenty of misery for a lot of people  but lets not lose the run of ourselves.
2.To put cannabis in the same catagory as harder drugs undermines the whole arguement. by the age of 20( prob much younger these days) most people have tried hash and survived it. The more you tell them that all drugs are equally bad the less they are going to believe you as experience has shown them otherwise.

Candyman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 22, 2007, 08:14:58 AM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 21, 2007, 04:29:59 PM
Any news on who the culprits are yet?

I did see a house being raided on Monday night...Desart Lane region is all I'll say. It surprised me!

Didn't surprise me one bit... They fairly took the house apart on monday nite!!! :D

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: BenDover on August 22, 2007, 09:23:35 AM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 22, 2007, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: Louis the Red on August 21, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
I heard it was a father and son lifted, anyone hear that?

I heard something similar, but the ages given on the BBC don't match the names I heard

The BBC have the ages wrong but it is the same two people as informed El Cuervo

Oh.  Mental stuff then

Long time dead

Quote from: Candyman on August 22, 2007, 09:39:54 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 22, 2007, 08:14:58 AM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 21, 2007, 04:29:59 PM
Any news on who the culprits are yet?

I did see a house being raided on Monday night...Desart Lane region is all I'll say. It surprised me!

Didn't surprise me one bit... They fairly took the house apart on monday nite!!! :D

Wonder if the personalised number plate drew the attention.  :D

J70

Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2007, 08:43:06 AM
J70, the report says the haul came from Amsterdam where the stuff is grown legally, not by cartels in Mexico or Columbia.

So? Its still empowering and enriching criminal gangs of scumbags.

Orior

I'm with Donagh on this. The sooner they legalise marajuana the better because:

1) it will offset missing tax lost from less people smoking tobacco
2) it will help focus resources on detecting supply of hardened drugs
3) it will cut off a revenue stream for the drug dealers
4) I smoked it in Wildwood NJ and Amsterdam and quite liked it
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mack the finger

5) It will improve the quality, rather than the crap they sell at the minute, allegedly, spliced with all sorts of crap.

A&E units aren't full of cannabis users at the weekend. Town centres at the weekend aren't plagued by yobs who've smoked too many joints. Whens the last time you heard of someone dying of cannabis use?

And there's no evidence to suggest cannabis is a gateway drug to more harder substances.
Legalising it would be one way of dealing with the scumbags making a living from selling it.
Of course this won't happen, as concentrating on cannabis takes the heat off the real problem in our
societym which is of course alcohol.

stew

Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2007, 01:27:55 PM

1) Sure why dont we legalize cocaine as well, that way we get more taxes so that we can use financial rescources to combat really hard drugs like E and H.
2) Why dont we legalize everything so that we can control the purity of drugs and make a killing on taxes and eradicate the need for drug dealers?
3) I would say the vast majority have tried drugs at one time or another.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: stew on August 22, 2007, 01:39:45 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2007, 01:27:55 PM

1) Sure why dont we legalize cocaine as well, that way we get more taxes so that we can use financial rescources to combat really hard drugs like E and H.
2) Why dont we legalize everything so that we can control the purity of drugs and make a killing on taxes and eradicate the need for drug dealers?
3) I would say the vast majority have tried drugs at one time or another.

But then you could use that same argument against tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, scented candles etc etc

I'm just saying that moving the goalposts slightly is worth considering.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Donagh

Quote from: J70 on August 22, 2007, 01:17:00 PM
J70, the report says the haul came from Amsterdam where the stuff is grown legally, not by cartels in Mexico or Columbia.

So?

So, we're hardly talking about crime on the Pablo Escobar scale. I've seen people die and families ripped apart by alcohol abuse, limbs amputated through tobacco but the worst I ever seen from cannabis abuse is someone taking a mild 'whitey' that lasts ten minutes. The sate is a pretty fcuked up place when people are criminalised for smoking a little weed.

J70

Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2007, 02:05:27 PM

So?

So, we're hardly talking about crime on the Pablo Escobar scale. I've seen people die and families ripped apart by alcohol abuse, limbs amputated through tobacco but the worst I ever seen from cannabis abuse is someone taking a mild 'whitey' that lasts ten minutes. The sate is a pretty fcuked up place when people are criminalised for smoking a little weed.

Why did you ignore the rest of my answer? Alcohol and tobacco smoking are legal and can be attained without the involvement of organized crime. Cannabis, relatively benign though its health effects may be (in comparison to hard narcotics - its not harmless) cannot.

stew

Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2007, 02:05:27 PM

So?

Aye Donagh blame the State :-\The arguments you have made here are are the same ones that harder drug pushers could use to justify what they do. The fact is cannabis is deemed illegal for a reason, if it were as harmless as you suggest it would not be illegal would it?

I can just see the heroin pushes ausing that aul chestnut about families being ripped apart by drink, valid point alright but again alcohol is legal to those of us over 18 and drugs are not.end of.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on August 22, 2007, 02:35:02 PM

Alcohol and tobacco smoking are legal and can be attained without the involvement of organized crime. Cannabis ... cannot.

Isn't that the problem, J70? Cart and horse face-about. The only reason organised crime is involved is because it has been decided (arbitrarily, as far as I can see) that some drugs are legal and others are not. Thus the stroke of a politician's pen creates a huge illegal industry and misery, murder and mayhem for millions, for no sane rational reason that I can discern.

Why is it the state's business to decide what individuals may ingest into their own bodies? And even if we concede that principle, what is the rational basis for declaring cannabis illegal and alcohol and tobacco legal? It can't be based on health considerations anyway.

Donagh

Quote from: J70 on August 22, 2007, 02:35:02 PM
Why did you ignore the rest of my answer?

I didn't ignore it just didn't think it that relevant. If cannibals was fully legalised then "organized crime" would be out of the equation, besides as I said, many people order seeds from the Internet and grow their own in cupboard and wardrobes. In the south these people can be criminalised for doing so.