Do Dublin really believe they can beat us ?

Started by Mike Sheehy, August 20, 2007, 11:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

QuoteBricking it already over this match. I really think we could do it this time. Not 'will' or 'should', but definitely 'could'.

QuoteGetting nervous already. O'Rourke was like the class clown after the game thinking he was funny and waiting for everyone around him to laugh. It'll be a huge battle at midfield.

QuoteIt may be hard to believe but I know we will win on Sunday I am so confident that God forbid if it goes wrong I will never post on this site again

Quotebrolly and co will have the other 31 counties just sittin there waiting for Dublin to fold.

dnt think it will happen this year, we've learnt a lot(i hope)  

QuoteWill we give these hoors the hiding we owe them next week?
I think they're there for the taking,no reason whatsoever why we shouldn't beat them by four or five points....if only we could get someone to take out darragh o'sè

Quotestill dreading it , no word on tickets yet so might just stay at home and watch it

QuoteYep, nerves are mounting, although at this stage I was more nervous about the Derry match. Losing to Derry would have been the end of the world, very few will be expecting us to beat Kerry, I reckon we have a good shot but there arent many arent the country who would agree with a statement like that! Anyway, it will be a good one, and i should know in the next two days if i have my ticket sorted!

I think the Dubs are getting more nervous by the day..the bravado is still there but its becoming more and more qualified...definite signs of nervousness as we get closer to the game (as the above quotes from reservoirdubs will attest to) I dont think they truly believe they can beat us.

What do ye think ?

INDIANA

well i think we're going to win. With the radical changes in the kerry team- it'll either work or it won't. We've a settled team we have our faults but i think kerry have a lot more. It'll be tight enough but i think dublin have nothing to fear. This Kerry team isn't a patch on last year's model but it is still capable of winning the all-ireland- i just think dublin's extra bit of hunger could be vital.Dublin by 2-3 points for me

jimmykeaveney

Sure don't we all know Kerry always beat Dublin.

stephenite

Quote from: jimmykeaveney on August 21, 2007, 01:05:31 AM

If you look at the stats, yes. Kerry generally always beat Dublin.

How and ever, I stated after last years semi final against us, and numerous times since throughout the year that Dublin wouldn't win the All-Ireland unless they managed to get another couple of forwards to step up and assist Alan Brogan. I mentioned that the likely ones were Vaughan and Brogan Jnr, and so it has come to pass, I have stick my money where my mouth is then and go for the Dubs. (With such an astutute GAA mind you'd think I'd be winning the spreads eh? ??? ::) :P)

Whilst I would love the Dubs to win it, lived there for 10 years, great gra for the city/county and it's people, t'would stick in my craw a bit to see Pillar managing an All Ireland winning team. Everytime I see him I think he defines mediocrity and ignorance.

Hound

As very few of the players have ever played in a Dublin-Kerry championship match, I find it very hard to predict. I'm hoping the Dubs will at least be competitive and make a good game of it, but can't even be sure about that.

Dublin need a massive game from Whelan, and hoprefulyl he'll get a hand from Ryan and Cullen - need big games from both of those also. We need to be hungrier, we need our forwards to be cohesive and calm and we need Vaughan to keep hitting those frees. Then, maybe we can edge it.

Declan

QuoteI'm hoping the Dubs will at least be competitive and make a good game of it, but can't even be sure about that.

Whatever about our limitations I have no fear that we won't be competitive and make a good game of it. The question is whether we will be good enough to beat the reigning champions who traditionally peak at this time of the year. Dublin have been there or there abouts (semis and quarters) over the last few years and maybe like Cork will finally come good on Sunday. Hard to call but I think we're due a win over the kingdom

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 20, 2007, 11:31:39 PM
i just think dublin's extra bit of hunger could be vital.Dublin by 2-3 points for me
But the problem is choking on that hunger.

(D'ye like what I did there lads, see that, choking, hunger, HA, good one)

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: stephenite on August 21, 2007, 01:21:52 AM
Quote from: jimmykeaveney on August 21, 2007, 01:05:31 AM

If you look at the stats, yes. Kerry generally always beat Dublin.

How and ever, I stated after last years semi final against us, and numerous times since throughout the year that Dublin wouldn't win the All-Ireland unless they managed to get another couple of forwards to step up and assist Alan Brogan. I mentioned that the likely ones were Vaughan and Brogan Jnr, and so it has come to pass, I have stick my money where my mouth is then and go for the Dubs. (With such an astutute GAA mind you'd think I'd be winning the spreads eh? ??? ::) :P)

Well your all right Stephenite as in your prediction you failed to mention that they also need a decent manager. And they still dont have that so they wont win it. Fear not. This will be the end for Scaffolding Caffrey.

What?

What do you mean his names not Scaffolding?

What is it so?

Oh thats right, Pillar, I know it was something tall to do with building that made no sense whatsoever. Sorry about that

Tankie

Of course we can beat you, and probably should beat you but we wont as we will let in 3 simple goals!
Grand Slam Saturday!

his holiness nb

We have no chance, Kerry are a much better side.
But sure I'll go for the hotdogs and cocaine anyway  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

mouview

Don't know 'bout the Dubs, but as a Galwayman I really believe they can. Monaghan had it down to a tee how to counteract Kerry's route one football. I don't think Kerry have a great plan B and they were distinctly lucky in the 1/4 final - only for their superior bench on that occasion. Dublin aren't the finished article either but they have the momentum IMHO and at 6/4 or so are a decent bet.

dubinhell

This Dublin's best chance in years to beat Kerry.....will it happen ??? probably not  ;D

his holiness nb

So do the quotes on Reservoir Dubs disprove the myth that we are all arrogant and presume we will win Sam?
Ask me holy bollix

cavanmaniac

Both teams have problems in the full back line where conversely their opponents are strong. I think though that Dublin are every bit as physical as Monaghan who effectively showed everyone how to handle Kerry. Very close attention will clearly rattle Donaghy but I don't know if the Dubs have a back line of the same quality as Monaghan's.

Midfield as ever is vital. Darragh O'Se was out of it for long tracts against Monaghan and lacks a convincing partner but the sight of a Dubs jersey will get more out of Kerry than anything else.

What I will say is definitely in Dublin's favour is that Kerry don't like it when a nippy, twisty set of forwards run at them and my rule of thumb is that reigning champs always get caught out at some stage the following year, so on that flimsy basis I give the Dubs a hesitant nod by about two points even if they too have been ignoring the various warnings they've been getting in matches all year and continue to dance with the devil in every game.

lynchbhoy

Dublin def have the squad to beat Kerry, but imo are not playing in a manner to best suit the playing personnel on the pitch and could also improve some of these positions with men already on the squad.

Kerry already have their style set in stone and will be hard to beat. Two good sets of forwards, Dub with poss the better set of defenders , but Kerry far superior in midfield with Dara oSe worth two men.
Breaking ball will be again crucial.
Dublin could lose it if not fully believeing they can win. That lack of real belief generally beats teams facing the likes of Kerry.
Still trying to assess the teams and figure out who I think will win. I cant make my mind up yet.

but the question
'Do Dublin really believe they can beat us ?'
will be answered on sunday.