The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: haranguerer on March 01, 2010, 01:20:50 PM
I'd say hes been dreading her being brought up on here so...

He's probably used to it with Ziggy's fantasies an all...

magickingdom

Quote from: Hereiam on March 01, 2010, 12:37:27 PM
God she has one annoying voice. Even the wife can't stand her. We come to the conclusion that she must be shagging someone high up to have that job.

you might consider deleting that quote, its way out of order

red hander

Quote from: haranguerer on March 01, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
I remember reading somewhere a while back that the official policy when talking about it on the BBC was to say L'derry first, then call it Derry in the next mention, then it was the reporters choice after that.

Bit like Transtink's 'Maiden City Flyer' ... it has a flashing sign that alternates between the Hun and Fenian names of the City of Culture ( :D) so as not to annoy the customers

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

They have started alternating it at Gt Victoria St train station but, much to another member's chagrin, it's still London Derry all the way round the corner on the buses..
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: haranguerer on March 01, 2010, 11:03:45 AM
I remember reading somewhere a while back that the official policy when talking about it on the BBC was to say L'derry first, then call it Derry in the next mention, then it was the reporters choice after that.
Thats what I was told when I sent in an complaint to the BBC about the lovely Angie Phillips. If you notice she will mention Tyrone, Fermanagh, Down etc twice on a regular basis , But with Derry its the L word first , followed by the " North West of the Province the second time
I have noticed Cecilia Daly at the same craic recently too

haranguerer

Press Association article - clearly the lazy bastards didn't bother reading it through before running it.

Feckitt

Lads, some out of order comments there about Jackie McCann.  Can you please delete.  Yez all have little to be complaining about.
So what if she says Londonderry on the news?

mc_grens

Quote from: ziggysego on August 04, 2010, 05:14:55 PM
The INDO have referred to Derry as Londonderry!

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/bomb-found-under-soldiers-car-2283336.html

The Indo is a rag. They withdrew their reporters from Northern Ireland when the trouble died down. Says it all really. One step down from the Daily Mail as far as I'm concerned.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Here we gooooo again.....

"A proposal by Sinn Féin to change the official name of Londonderry to Derry has been described as "sectarian" by unionists.

A motion supporting the name change was passed at a meeting of Derry City and Strabane District Council on Thursday.

Council will now write to the Environment Minister to seek clarification on how to go about the change.

All previous attempts for the name change have failed.

The London prefix was added to Derry when the city was granted a Royal Charter by King James I in 1613.

In 1984 the name of the nationalist-controlled council was changed from Londonderry to Derry City Council, but the city itself continues to be officially known as Londonderry.

The issue was addressed in the High Court in 2007 when the judge ruled that only legislation or Royal prerogative could change the city's name. "
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

LeoMc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 24, 2015, 09:48:56 AM
Here we gooooo again.....

"A proposal by Sinn Féin to change the official name of Londonderry to Derry has been described as "sectarian" by unionists.

A motion supporting the name change was passed at a meeting of Derry City and Strabane District Council on Thursday.

Council will now write to the Environment Minister to seek clarification on how to go about the change.

All previous attempts for the name change have failed.

The London prefix was added to Derry when the city was granted a Royal Charter by King James I in 1613.

In 1984 the name of the nationalist-controlled council was changed from Londonderry to Derry City Council, but the city itself continues to be officially known as Londonderry.

The issue was addressed in the High Court in 2007 when the judge ruled that only legislation or Royal prerogative could change the city's name. "

As the council cant legally change the name the proposal can only be to distract the easily distracted from the upcoming implementation of the "Tory" cuts.

Orior

Does anyone from the free state (beside LaoisLad) call it Londonderry?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 11:10:27 AM

Nope. . . Nobody from the North calls it that either. Unless they're a ****!

Gabriel_Hurl

screenexile

Quote from: screenexile on July 24, 2015, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2015, 11:10:27 AM

Nope. . . Nobody from the North calls it that either. Unless they're a ****!

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2015, 12:39:43 PM
Oh there ain't no London in Tyrone  ;D

QED