Referees today - Brian Crowe did well

Started by Cloc Mor, August 19, 2007, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

. . . . . . . .

Fear ón Srath Bán

Credit to the referee, overall a very capable performance.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

It's great to see Cavan doing so well at Croke Park.....  :P

One point though - the tussle with geraghty in the Cork goals - a punch was thrown right beside the umpire, yet nothing was done. Surely the umpire should have stood forward for that. They're not just there to wave flags.

Cloc Mor

It obviously wasn't seen, like the 'punch' on Geraghty.

Fear ón Srath Bán

O'Leary had a lump on his face though, so I'd say his punch on Geraghty was in retaliation?

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 19, 2007, 05:44:24 PM
O'Leary had a lump on his face though, so I'd say his punch on Geraghty was in retaliation?

Or maybe that's the shape of his head?  :P

David McKeown

Can't agree that he had a good game for the simple reason of the booking he gave O'Leary (i think) in the first half.  What exactly was that booking for?  Striking?  Theres nothing more that annoys me than a ref who cops out and books a player for striking or attempting to strike and it happens too often.  Apart from that he was just ok i thought
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

no stirieking

Yes Crowe did well. I like him as a referee He is consistent and uses common sense.  One small point - there seemed to be quite a few throws which were not penalised.  Surely it is not possible to handpass legally with one hand. I am beginning to think im wrong as commentators never mention it

agorm

Quote from: David McKeown on August 19, 2007, 06:45:06 PM
Can't agree that he had a good game for the simple reason of the booking he gave O'Leary (i think) in the first half.  What exactly was that booking for?  Striking?  Theres nothing more that annoys me than a ref who cops out and books a player for striking or attempting to strike and it happens too often.  Apart from that he was just ok i thought

Have to agree. He bottled it big time. Had it been Geraghty that had punched O' Leary then you can be sure that it would have been red. Also the"tussle" in the goalmouth was completely blatant. the umpire must have seen it as should the ref but nothing was done. Dont think it would have been enough to change the result of the match but you bever know.

Besides that the ref was ok but because of those two glaring errors I think that he could get no more than 6 out of 10.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Crowe could have sent 3 or 4 men off very early doors, if he'd acted strictly by the book, but for no benefit whatsoever. The shemozzle itself had to come, and as such it passed relatively harmlessly. I was surprised that 30 men were left standing, but the game was no poorer for it. The alternative was 10-a-side, and perhaps the Cork lads were marginally luckier.

Cloc Mor

QuoteCan't agree that he had a good game for the simple reason of the booking he gave O'Leary (i think) in the first half.  What exactly was that booking for?  Striking?  Theres nothing more that annoys me than a ref who cops out and books a player for striking or attempting to strike and it happens too often.  Apart from that he was just ok i thought

One bad decision and you say he had a bad game.  How many wrong decisions did the players make?  Alot more by your reckoning.

David McKeown

Cloc Mor its a pet hate if they do nothing fair enough but the only way you can get consistency into refereeing is to ref to the letter of the law.  Refs who book for striking do not do this and it had a massive effect on the game.  There wasnt just this mistake but to me its such a major mistake it removes the ability of the ref to have had a great game.  Apart from that mistake I thought he was just ok, I never said he was bad.  The job of a ref is not to allow a game to flow, its to enforce the rules, if they do this the game will flow if its played properly.   Today Crowe had only an ok game
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Fear ón Srath Bán

David, I think the ref (and the other officials) missed a bit of off-the-ball stuff before O'Leary threw the punch, and they missed that punch too. Not happy that such physical stuff had to be a component-part of the game, but as such (f**k Cyril Farrell  ;)) had Crowe sent O'Leary off for the punch I think it would have been a lop-sided piece of refereeing. Not to be condoned, but under the circumstances, in what could potentially have been an uncontrollably explosive encounter, he did well.

orangeman

Crowe has definitely improved at the refereeing but it looks like Pat Mc Eneaney now for the AI Final ?

Cloc Mor

QuoteThe job of a ref is not to allow a game to flow, its to enforce the rules, if they do this the game will flow if its played properly.

I dont like picking one sentence out of post but I cant let this go.  

Would you prefer a game interspersed with stopages, bookings, sending offs, shomazzzles and the like - and a game where its let FLOW where guys are booked retrospectively (when play is continued and the ball goes out of play - the ref then goes back to book the player)
From your previous posts you know what its like to make a bad call

QuotePosted by:  David McKeown August 04, 2007, 12:20:12 AM
QuoteHave to say both sides would agree that the ref had an exceptional game although he did miss a boxing match between two clan eirean forwards and two of our defenders, all four of whom should have walked although he probably didnt see it and after discussing it with the umpires decided to take no action

Sound familiar?

Crowe had a good game