IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:21:18 PM
In terms of elligibility to play international football, yes exactly the same.

Well, as I've said before, clearly playing international soccer is not about playing for your country, it's about playing for the country that you're eligible for. How romantic.

SammyG

Quote from: deiseach on November 09, 2007, 05:25:15 PM
Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:21:18 PM
In terms of elligibility to play international football, yes exactly the same.

Well, as I've said before, clearly playing international soccer is not about playing for your country, it's about playing for the country that you're eligible for. How romantic.

I actually agree with you on that one, it should be about playing for the counrty you are born in. But FIFA have introduced the other elligiblity rules to cover people who's parents are working overseas, or in the forces or whatever when they were born (I'm sure David Healy's son won't want to play for Engerlund for example).

deiseach

Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:28:23 PM
I actually agree with you on that one, it should be about playing for the counrty you are born in. But FIFA have introduced the other elligiblity rules to cover people who's parents are working overseas, or in the forces or whatever when they were born (I'm sure David Healy's son won't want to play for Engerlund for example).

So you don't object to rules of eligibility being widened to beyond the country you were born in. Just this particular widening.

Incidentally, where were your kids born, Sammy?

Blacksheep

Look it's really simple. Irish men who are selected can play for Ireland. FIFA have said so. OWC/IFA can't stop them.

To keep OWC/IFA happy FIFA are suggesting that any Irish man can also turn out for IFA (if selected). Now what's your f**king problem?

You can't force us to see your world view. We see things differently. A shared future doesn't mean we have to turn into OWC/IFA supporters.

Now stop all this crap and go away. It's f**king boring!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

doofus

Now is time for Northern Ireland to ditch God Save the Queen. If they had tried and made the team AND the surroundings more acceptable to the nationialist community then they wouldnt have found themselves in this sticky situation.

I  think theres a few in the IFA with egg on their faces right now.

SammyG

Quote from: deiseach on November 09, 2007, 05:36:32 PM
Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:28:23 PM

So you don't object to rules of eligibility being widened to beyond the country you were born in. Just this particular widening.
As I've said if it was my choice, I'd have people only playing for the country of birth but I'm happy enough with the current rules allowing parents/grandparents to be used for elligiblity. I don't see how you can widen this to allow people to just pick and choose, who they want to play for.
Quote from: deiseach on November 09, 2007, 05:36:32 PM
Incidentally, where were your kids born, Sammy?
One in London, one in the west of Engerlund, Unfortunately (for them) they've both inherited my footballing skills, so there's not much chance of them playing internationally for anybody. ;)

deiseach

Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:48:17 PM
As I've said if it was my choice, I'd have people only playing for the country of birth but I'm happy enough with the current rules allowing parents/grandparents to be used for elligiblity. I don't see how you can widen this to allow people to just pick and choose, who they want to play for.

Fifa have shown you how they intend widening the rules. Be honest, it's not a case of you not being able to see how they can do it, it's a case of not liking the change.

SammyG

Quote from: deiseach on November 09, 2007, 06:05:57 PM
Quote from: SammyG on November 09, 2007, 05:48:17 PM

Fifa have shown you how they intend widening the rules. Be honest, it's not a case of you not being able to see how they can do it, it's a case of not liking the change.

FIFA haven't done anything. Their legal department have suggested a possible compromise, which will almost certainly be rejected by the main committee and if it isn't will be immediately picked up by all the other countries with contentious issues.

Main Street

Quote from: MW on November 09, 2007, 05:19:54 PM
Moving on a slight tangent, this debate is why if we were to have a dual eligibility system in place (and no way on earth should it be the one FIFA suggested), clear protocols should be worked out, as I was saying in another post above.
Take it from me, FIFA have consistantly supported citizens who gain that right from birth, eg born in a territory or part of an island even if its outside the boundary of a Federation.
It doesn´t matter to FIFA if that Footballer is born in the territory of another football federation, as long as he has the citizenship from birth, he has the automatic right to play for that country, no annex conditions are applied.

FIFA are not going to deviate from that stance. FIFA only apply the Annex criteria to those who acquire another citizenship.

We are left with the proposal.
The only thing different is that the IFA can fish down south.

BY Howard Wells own admission the 2 federations are getting on well and mutual benifits  etc  from cooperation. There is no hint that that cooperation will suffer. The Setanta Competition is set to be a big Cup competition on the Island.
It´s time for the 2 federations to sit down and come to an agreement over terms of poaching.
No direct contact allowed.
You would be a fool if you thought there would be no indirect contact.
All footballers have until the age of 21 to change their minds.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on November 09, 2007, 07:17:58 PM
Quote from: MW on November 09, 2007, 05:19:54 PM
Moving on a slight tangent, this debate is why if we were to have a dual eligibility system in place (and no way on earth should it be the one FIFA suggested), clear protocols should be worked out, as I was saying in another post above.
Take it from me, FIFA have consistantly supported citizens who gain that right from birth, eg born in a territory or part of an island even if its outside the boundary of a Federation.
Any examples?
It doesn´t matter to FIFA if that Footballer is born in the territory of another football federation, as long as he has the citizenship from birth, he has the automatic right to play for that country, no annex conditions are applied.
Correct but totally irrelevant as we're talking about players with dual nationality, who've already chosen one and want to switch.
FIFA are not going to deviate from that stance. FIFA only apply the Annex criteria to those who acquire citizenship.
Fcuk me it's finally getting through. Excellent news.
We are left with the proposal.
The only thing different is that the IFA can fish down south.
No idea what that means.
BY Howard Wells own admission the 2 federations are getting on well and mutual benifits  etc  from cooperation. There is no hint that that cooperation will suffer. The Setanta Competition is set to be a big Cup competition on the Island.
Again correct and again irrelevant.
It´s time for the 2 federations to sit down and come to an agreement over terms of poaching.
No direct contact allowed.
Why would the two FA's agree to break FIFA's rules?
You would be a fool if you thought there would be no indirect contact.
All footballers have until the age of 21 to change their minds.
So we're back to a free-for-all, just when I thought we were getting somewhere.

Rossfan

AFTER 36 PAGES OF THE  SAME OUL SHITE IT'S LONG PAST TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magickingdom

if unionists politicians got off their arses these past few years and explained the good friday agreement to their constituents owc supporters wouldn't be in quite the mess their in right now. howard wells (and i know hes english) is staggered (mind you) that this could happen. i'm focking staggered that he's staggered. i'm sure hes aware that ni is now governed by a powersharing agreement whereby nationalists now help run the place but has anyone told him the citizens of ni are entitled to joint nationality. simply put its a different place than the 'british as finchley' place maggie was on about, its just it hasnt trickled down to the slow learners yet. if someone from ni wants to represent the roi they can. deal with it...

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on November 09, 2007, 07:58:30 PM
if unionists politicians got off their arses these past few years and explained the good friday agreement to their constituents owc supporters wouldn't be in quite the mess their in right now. howard wells (and i know hes english) is staggered (mind you) that this could happen. i'm focking staggered that he's staggered. i'm sure hes aware that ni is now governed by a powersharing agreement whereby nationalists now help run the place but has anyone told him the citizens of ni are entitled to joint nationality. simply put its a different place than the 'british as finchley' place maggie was on about, its just it hasnt trickled down to the slow learners yet. if someone from ni wants to represent the roi they can. deal with it...

For the millionth time this has FCUK ALL to do with the GFA, try to keep up.

magickingdom

your right there sammy it has fcuk all to do with the gfa, people from the north could always play for the south. its the looney mindset of the unionist response that i'm getting at. shock horror they might be some irish living here after all...

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on November 09, 2007, 08:10:18 PM
your right there sammy it has fcuk all to do with the gfa, people from the north could always play for the south.
So why did you say people needed lessons in the GFA?
Quote from: magickingdom on November 09, 2007, 08:10:18 PM
its the looney mindset of the unionist response that i'm getting at. shock horror they might be some irish living here after all...
What looney mindset? What has being Irish got to do with anything?