IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

It seems that this Belfast Telegraph story was complete bollocks. Hardly a surprise, I know.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/article3088090.ece

Main Street

Nothing has changed in the sense that article 15 conditions will continue to be applied.

The one change
FIFA are asking both assoc to agree on -
anyone born in the South be allowed to declare for NI if they so wish, article 15 conditions apply

Use to be that anyone born in the South had to have some connection to NI before they could declare for NI. But anyone born in the North could declare for the South without condition by virtue of natural birthright citizenship.

The annex criteria will continue to be applied to those born outside Ireland.

GalwayBayBoy

So bascially anyone born on the island of Ireland can play for either team?

Main Street

Yep,
thats the FIFA solution to the Irish problem

GalwayBayBoy

I'd say OWC must be near a state of meltdown at the moment.

magickingdom

actually its about the only way fifa can legally offer a compromise to the ifa (and note its from fifas legal dept), any attempt to stop irish citizens from the north playing for the fai was doomed to die in court. it'll work... but if the fai wanted to play hardball, they could tell them shove it. there is no legal basis for players from the roi playing for ni, but obviously fifa want to compromise..

nifan

what legal basis is there to say someone from NI must be allowed to play for the ROI.
ie what law would be broken?

this has been said a lot but does anyone reasonable to base this on rather than simply saying that it is illegal?

Sky Blue

This has to be fought! The last thing we want is coaches from NIFA telling our young players that they're really Brits and should be playing for them!  >:(

magickingdom

Quote from: nifan on November 06, 2007, 08:16:28 PM

what legal basis is there to say someone from NI must be allowed to play for the ROI.

this has been said a lot but does anyone reasonable to base this on rather than simply saying that it is illegal?

nifan, anyone in the north is legally entitled to irish/british citizenship, those who opt for irish are thus entitled to the same rights as ANY other irish citizen which means they can represent the roi at anything. people in the roi are not entitled to british citizenship..

Rossfan

Quote from: magickingdom on November 06, 2007, 09:05:50 PM
[
nifan, anyone in the north is legally entitled to irish/british citizenship, those who opt for irish are thus entitled to the same rights as ANY other irish citizen which means they can represent the roi at anything. ..
I didnt know we had a right to represent the ROI in things - can I sue the FAI for nort letting me play Soccer for them?
So a Unionist can't play for the ROI then ???
And can Ballaghadereen people go to Court and get an order allowing them to play for Roscommon?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solomon Kane

nifan, anyone in the north is legally entitled to irish/british citizenship, those who opt for irish are thus entitled to the same rights as ANY other irish citizen which means they can represent the roi at anything. people in the roi are not entitled to british citizenship..

Do those "Irish" rights include a vote for a TD in the Dail? If I was a republican I would be more up in arms about that affront to my citizenship than about sporting matters. I cant see The ROI government agreeing to that. ;) Come on Bertie, you can't have your partitionist cake and eat it!

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2007, 09:39:26 PM
And can Ballaghadereen people go to Court and get an order allowing them to play for Roscommon?

I think they could challenge this legally - the reason it hasn't been done  IS BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WANT TO PLAY FOR ROSCOMMON

Main Street

Its FIFA legal under article 15. That's what matters.
The FAI are happy with the proposal. If the IFA do not agree then FIFA are not going to change anything.
Then if the IFA  (or any aggrieved party) want to take it furthur I think they have to lodge the appeal to CAS within 30 days.

magickingdom

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2007, 09:39:26 PM
[
nifan, anyone in the north is legally entitled to irish/british citizenship, those who opt for irish are thus entitled to the same rights as ANY other irish citizen which means they can represent the roi at anything. ..
I didnt know we had a right to represent the ROI in things - can I sue the FAI for nort letting me play Soccer for them?
So a Unionist can't play for the ROI then ???

did you even read my post? it says they can represent the roi. where did i say a unionist cant represent the roi?

magickingdom

Quote from: Solomon Kane on November 06, 2007, 10:02:46 PM

Do those "Irish" rights include a vote for a TD in the Dail? If I was a republican I would be more up in arms about that affront to my citizenship than about sporting matters. I cant see The ROI government agreeing to that. ;) Come on Bertie, you can't have your partitionist cake and eat it!

wide open to a challenge solomon...