IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Shall we now see the phenomenon of 'grannying' introduced into tournaments organised by the governing bodies of soccer.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

inisceithleann

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 23, 2007, 08:11:20 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on October 23, 2007, 07:37:10 PM
A ridiculous decision by FIFA. The IFA have shot themselves in the foot here. They've blown any chance in my opinion of attracting Nationists to support the North (as unlikely as this was in the first place). The IFA have shown a complete disregard for the cultural and political beliefs of the Nationalist people in the northern part of the island.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that there are two Irish football teams on this island, each with equal status and rights when it comes to administering international football. Consequently, if you are born within one that is who you represent, if you are born within the other, then you represent them. Alternatively, ancestral or residential considerations may permit an individual born within the jurisdiction of one Association to represent the other.

Therefore, representing NI at football does not make anyone any more "British" or less "Irish", as the various British and/or Irish members of the team will testify. Rather, playing international football for NI merely means that they they are international footballers who come from NI. No more, no less.

If someone cannot accept that simple proposition due to their overriding "cultural and political" beliefs, then that is their choice. And that applies equally to those whose Loyalist c&p beliefs cause them to support England, as those whose Nationalist c&p beliefs cause them to support ROI.

EG you can say what you like but I know for a fact that nearly all Nationalists I know will agree with me. This decision does nothing but alieniate people with similar cultural pursuasions to me. Why are the IFA forcing young fellas into playing for them? Why not allow people to play for which ever team they feel more comfortable with? Is it a fear that the reverse decision would lead to a United Ireland soccer team?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

armaghniac

The FAI should not go along with this. They should continue to play Irish citizens, FIFA can throw them out perhaps, but I doubt if they would oppose the GFA which has the support of the EU, USA and a variety of other governments. If the FAI don't do the right thing on this issue they should be denied all ROI government funding forthwith.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

doofus

I think this is an attempt by the IFA to deny players to the FAI who wouldnt even dream of pulling on the norn iron shirt or standing to god save the queen.

inisceithleann

What puzzles me is how FIFA are happy to allow people playing for a national team using the 'granny rule' when they have little or no connection to that country, but yet will not allow people to play for the national team of a country they hold a passport for. When I applied for my passport I ticked the box that said 'born in Ireland'. That is the same box as ticked by Robbie Keane or Shay Given but yet we are being denied the same rights as those players. I know a passport isn't enough to let you qualify, but it should when you were actually born in the country! It's not as if players in the North are second generation Irish players demanding to play for Ireland.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

pintsofguinness

Who exactly do FIFA think they are to ignore Governments and agreements? 
It's funny how we constantly listen to unionists talk about about their beliefs and opinions being respected yet they're not too keen on ours. 
So petty.  I didn't realise Northern Ireland were so desperate for players.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Donagh

According to the Irish Times and Slugger, FIFA have not made a ruling on the matter it. It seems that the Tele and Indo (owned by the same person) are running with this on their own:

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/from-our-side-nothing-has-been-decided/

Main Street

FIFA have said feck all. The Gibson thing was stated up front that it was not an issue and never was.
The rest is coming out of Well's backside.
The headline in the BBC Sports News was  "Republic in hollow Gibson victory"

after a ECHR judgement in the mid 70'
I remember the headlines in the English papers
"Britain found not guilty of torture"

in the Irish papers
"Britain found guilty of inhuman and degrading treatment"

Orior

I'd be very pissed off if FIFA told me I couldnt play for Ireland.

It took us 30 years to get it through the thick unionist skulls that we're not all as british as finichly. To coin the chip-on-their-shoulder OWC phrase - We Exist.

Someone needs to take FIFA on a tour of the six counties the next time Ireland are playing, and let them count the number of Eircom jersies.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

snatter

Quote from: Donagh on October 23, 2007, 10:46:26 PM
According to the Irish Times and Slugger, FIFA have not made a ruling on the matter it. It seems that the Tele and Indo (owned by the same person) are running with this on their own:

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/from-our-side-nothing-has-been-decided/

What?
The Indo stable running with a pro-partitionist spin, in defiance of the known facts........

Should we be surprised??

nifan

Quote from: Orior on October 24, 2007, 12:12:25 AM

As far as FIFA are concerned you cant play for the "republic of ireland" which is the association within Fifa. Surely people can see the distinction whether you agree with it or not.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: nifan on October 24, 2007, 09:48:05 AM
Quote from: Orior on October 24, 2007, 12:12:25 AM

As far as FIFA are concerned you cant play for the "republic of ireland" which is the association within Fifa. Surely people can see the distinction whether you agree with it or not.
FIFA have got it wrong surely people can see that.....
Its Grim up North

Chrisowc

Quote from: inisceithleann on October 23, 2007, 09:16:29 PM
What puzzles me is how FIFA are happy to allow people playing for a national team using the 'granny rule' when they have little or no connection to that country, but yet will not allow people to play for the national team of a country they hold a passport for. When I applied for my passport I ticked the box that said 'born in Ireland'. That is the same box as ticked by Robbie Keane or Shay Given but yet we are being denied the same rights as those players. I know a passport isn't enough to let you qualify, but it should when you were actually born in the country! It's not as if players in the North are second generation Irish players demanding to play for Ireland.

In the eyes of FIFA what country does the FAI represent?  If you were not born in that country, have not resided there for at least 2 years, or have a parent of grandparent born there then you can not play for that country.  You are not being denied a human right, being made the victim of restraint of trade, or f**k all else.

If a Northern Ireland player (qualifying through the criteria above) wishes to carry an Irish passport he is perfectly entitled to do so.  He is not being denied his Irishness nor being discriminated against by declaring his Irishness.

Robbie Keane is eligible to play for the FAI team due to where he was born.  Shay Given is eligible due to his ancestry and through residency as I believe he was born in Derry.

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

nifan

Fifa have a set of rules that they apply - they run international football and decide the eligibility criteria.

They have a member team that represents the ROI, not the Irish nation or whatever some people may think.
The republic of ireland is a specific geographical entity and does not contain NI. Ive no problem with people being Irish from NI, more than happy if they choose that, but that is nothing to do with FIFA.
The GFA etc that people keep quoting rightly guarantees the right to be irish, but it doesnt confer the status of being from the ROI on anyone.

Bensars

Quote from: Chrisowc on October 24, 2007, 10:03:28 AM

If a Northern Ireland player (qualifying through the criteria above) wishes to carry an Irish passport he is perfectly entitled to do so.  He is not being denied his Irishness nor being discriminated against by declaring his Irishness.

A northern irelland player not being discriminated against for declaring his irishness  :o :o :o :o

I must have been dreaming and have just awoken.

My, how times have changed