IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 14, 2011, 10:55:08 PM
Last time I checked the World Football Board consisted of FIFA (4 votes) and then the FA, SFA, IFA, and one other with a vote each.  Is that still the case?
The World Football Board has only power in relation to the rules of the game. They have zilch to do with FIFA legislation.

Main Street

The Minister for Sports etc  Carál Ní Chuilín  was asked about the strange behaviour of Irish footballers born in NI, exercising their rights as Irish citizens to declare for the FAI. I have to give credit to Carál for her succinct reply. Possibly she has hired some good assistants to advise her ::)

Mr Allister asked the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure whether she has made, or intends to make, any represenatations to the relevant authorities about people born in Northern Ireland playing football for the Republic of Ireland.

Ms Ní Chuilín: The Good Friday Agreement provides for people from the North of Ireland to claim either Irish or British nationality. Under current FIFA rules, this in turn permits association football players from the region to choose whether they represent the Republic of Ireland or NI at international level. I am aware that previous Sports Ministers have written to FIFA on this matter and that the governing body for the sport here, the Irish Football Association (IFA), has appealed the ruling with both FIFA and the Court of Arbitration for Sport. On each occasion FIFA's ruling has been upheld. I do not, therefore, intend to make any further representations to the relevant authorities. Any change to this ruling would be a matter for the IFA, Football Association of Ireland and FIFA in the first instance.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/qanda/2011mandate/writtenans/2011/110610.htm

Applesisapples

In light of James McLean's defection the IFA have rushed to appoint that well known Spanish soccer legend Gerry Armstrong as liaison officer with the remit to curtail young Irish men from playing for their country. Given the comments of Niall McGinn about being a fan of the Republic of Ireland team it seems obvious the NI is now Ireland Reserves or the equvilent of the GAA Clubs B team.

red hander

After a depressing weekend this has cheered me up no end

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 08, 2011, 02:03:14 PM
In light of James McLean's defection the IFA have rushed to appoint that well known Spanish soccer legend Gerry Armstrong as liaison officer with the remit to curtail young Irish men from playing for their country. Given the comments of Niall McGinn about being a fan of the Republic of Ireland team it seems obvious the NI is now Ireland Reserves or the equvilent of the GAA Clubs B team.

Would it be cynical of me to think the Gerry from the Rock has been appointed due to him being brought up in a 'nationalist' background?

Surprised Anton Rogan didn't get the gig!

Applesisapples

I heard Gerry on the radio this morning all OWC, he can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to play for their "country". When pressed on the politics he just ignored the question. He glossed over the sectarianism as being "not as bad as it used to be". Seriously what planet is he on, obviously believes his own hype.

bloodybreakball

aye, apple's that's fairly pathetic behaviour from armstrong tbh. they are not going to get anywhere if they ignore the reasons why people choose to repersent the Republic of Ireland. But in my view that's a good thing and I'm glad/delighted that James Mc Lean has made the switch to the Irish team. Where is it Armstrong is from? Who was the good soccer player who was a johnnies man (St. John's, Belfast)?

Applesisapples

Fintona I believe, not the attitude you would expect from a Tyrone man.

AQMP

Gerry Armstrong came from the Beechmount area of West Belfast and was at one time a St John's player.  He's also related to current Galway player Sean Armstrong.

Applesisapples

red hander

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 09, 2011, 10:15:03 AM
I heard Gerry on the radio this morning all OWC, he can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to play for their "country". When pressed on the politics he just ignored the question. He glossed over the sectarianism as being "not as bad as it used to be". Seriously what planet is he on, obviously believes his own hype.

Armstrong doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him.  He makes a very good living out of being Are We A Country's token nationalist cheerleader.  If he dodged tackles as well as he dodged the question of sectarianism in the pub team's whole set-up he would have been some player, instead of warming the bench at every club he ever joined.  His cravenness in this would sicken you, considering the amount of sectarianism directed at him by his 'own' supporters at Windsor Park when he played there ... the guy is a clown, and clowns were invented so you could laugh at them.

Applesisapples

But is he from Fintona? I must admit my first thought was Belfast as I seem to remember he played for Antrim at some level.

stew

Quote from: red hander on August 09, 2011, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 09, 2011, 10:15:03 AM

Armstrong doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him.  He makes a very good living out of being Are We A Country's token nationalist cheerleader.  If he dodged tackles as well as he dodged the question of sectarianism in the pub team's whole set-up he would have been some player, instead of warming the bench at every club he ever joined.  His cravenness in this would sicken you, considering the amount of sectarianism directed at him by his 'own' supporters at Windsor Park when he played there ... the guy is a clown, and clowns were invented so you could laugh at them.

He is a bit like McIlroy, he has the ability to think for himself and according to FIFA the north is it's own wee country just like Armstrong states. The problem is it is not it's own country and although you would expect him to know that he has the right to his own opinion, even if it might be self serving and put a few quid in his pocket.

I cant imagine the natives from his home area wherever that may be would be too happy with him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AQMP

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 09, 2011, 05:16:43 PM
But is he from Fintona? I must admit my first thought was Belfast as I seem to remember he played for Antrim at some level.

Could have been born in Fintona I suppose but he went to St John's Primary in West Belfast and played minor and U21 for Antrim in the early/mid 70s.

MW

Quote from: red hander on August 08, 2011, 04:36:48 PM
After a depressing weekend this has cheered me up no end

May I ask why?

The manner of McClean's 'defection', especially in relation to timing, speaks very poorly of his integrity.