IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2007, 12:09:33 PM
Quote from: MW on November 07, 2007, 11:18:44 AM
They've written to the IFA and FAI making a suggestion that players born anywhere on the island be deemed eligibile to play for either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, regardless of whether they are from NI or the RoI, or whether they hold UK or RoI nationality.

I almost feel sorry for the IFA on this one. If they agree, they'll have to bite their collective tongue when the FAI come a-calling to any player born in NI. If they object to this, Nationalists are going to go nuclear. What would Jesus do?

If I was the IFA, I'd tell FIFA politely where to stick their suggestion.

I'd say I wanted them to make a definitive ruling, based on their rules. I'd say that if they ruled that if any RoI citizen was allowed to play for the RoI regardless of RoI birthplace/residence/ancestry, or if they instituted their all-island free-for-all 'suggestion', that they take steps to avoid players changing teams once they had played at youth level (a la Darron Gibson, Ruaridh Higgins, or the prodigal son Tony Kane-Is-Magic) in order to prevent 'poaching' of a player who has been developed by one association.

(As to FIFA's suggestion - I think it makes little sense. Why should I, someone who doesn't hold RoI nationality, be able to play for the RoI? Why should someone from Cork be able to play for NI?)

saffron

FIFA's suggestion is purely a response to the fact that their legal team knew that their previous position would not hold up in court. If you can have an Irish passport in the North you should be able to play for the Republic - otherwise you dont really have the same rights as other citizens do you?

I can understand why the IFA acted the way it did but to try and block Nationalists from playing for the Republic is stupid and counter productive.

Donagh

Take your head out of the sand MW. Whether you like it or not, people born in the six counties are automatically entitled Irish citizenship and all the benefits and entitlements that accompany that and all the bitching and crying by you "Our WC"  types will only encourage more people to turn their back on your wee team and travelling support of 'no-surrender monkeys' draped in the flag of the corrupt, sectarian, racist, discriminatory and failed NI statelet. Your team represents no country. Never has, never will.

Guillem2

I think the question being asked by the FIFA legal team is "Why is the IFA involved in International soccer at all?".

If the IFA kick up too much fuss about this suggetion just watch that one creep on to the agenda. I really don't see FIFA stepping back from what they have now proposed.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

deiseach

Quote from: MW on November 07, 2007, 12:41:48 PMIf I was the IFA, I'd tell FIFA politely where to stick their suggestion.

Telling someone 'politely' where to stick it. That would be a first.

Quote from: MW on November 07, 2007, 12:41:48 PMI'd say I wanted them to make a definitive ruling, based on their rules.

Fifa can make whatever rules they like to suit whatever situation. See: Derry City

Quote from: MW on November 07, 2007, 12:41:48 PMI'd say that if they ruled that if any RoI citizen was allowed to play for the RoI regardless of RoI birthplace/residence/ancestry, or if they instituted their all-island free-for-all 'suggestion', that they take steps to avoid players changing teams once they had played at youth level (a la Darron Gibson, Ruaridh Higgins, or the prodigal son Tony Kane-Is-Magic) in order to prevent 'poaching' of a player who has been developed by one association.

I think you give the IFA way too much credit for player development.

Quote from: MW on November 07, 2007, 12:41:48 PM(As to FIFA's suggestion - I think it makes little sense. Why should I, someone who doesn't hold RoI nationality, be able to play for the RoI? Why should someone from Cork be able to play for NI?)

It's called reciprocity. Fifa want a situation where Irish citizens born in NI should be allowed play for the Republic. Thier suggestion is the neatest solution. It's not as if you'd have to play for the Republic.

nifan

Quoteotherwise you dont really have the same rights as other citizens do you?

is representing the football team a right enshrined by law?
No one seems to be able to point to any evidence of this at all - what is the law that could be taken up here?

it is not unique to bring political geography into rights anyway - in america the president cant just be a citizen he has to have been born in the US

nifan

Quote from: Donagh on November 07, 2007, 12:51:44 PM
on your wee team and travelling support of 'no-surrender monkeys' draped in the flag of the corrupt, sectarian, racist, discriminatory and failed NI statelet.

pathetic

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: nifan on November 07, 2007, 12:55:32 PM
- in america the president cant just be a citizen he has to have been born in the US

Give it time they, this may just change to let Arnie be president.

MW

Quote from: nifan on November 07, 2007, 12:56:32 PM
on your wee team and travelling support of 'no-surrender monkeys' draped in the flag of the corrupt, sectarian, racist, discriminatory and failed NI statelet.

pathetic

Indeed. At this stage, hardly surprising, though.

T Fearon

Brilliant. On the Nolan show and Talkback on the same day...worth 20 letters in the paper! ;D

PS I suspect there was another Board member who had a comment read out on the programme? Anyone else care to guess who this might have been, Orior? :P :P :P :P

MW

Take your head out of the sand MW. Whether you like it or not, people born in the six counties are automatically entitled Irish citizenship and all the benefits and entitlements that accompany that and all the bitching and crying by you "Our WC"  types will only encourage more people to turn their back on your wee team and travelling support of 'no-surrender monkeys' draped in the flag of the corrupt, sectarian, racist, discriminatory and failed NI statelet. Your team represents no country. Never has, never will.

Have you any comment to make about the fact that you lied, invented comments that I hadn't made, and seemingly dreamed up a whole different MW to fit your prejudices?

Retraction, apology, that sort of thing?

deiseach

I think the court thing is a bit of a red herring. The question that each person needs to answer is this: do they want a rulebook that states that people born in Ni who don't have a grandparent who was born outside of NI to be only eligible for NI?

Donagh

I would have apologised if you hadn't agreed with the original sentiment, so as the cap fits, you can wear it.

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2007, 01:04:02 PM
Brilliant. On the Nolan show and Talkback on the same day...worth 20 letters in the paper! ;D

A big  :-[ for Tony...

MW

Quote from: Donagh on November 07, 2007, 01:08:13 PM
I would have apologised if you hadn't agreed with the original sentiment, so as the cap fits, you can wear it.

I didn't agree with the 'original sentiment'.

You imagination really is running riot today.