Great Hurling Championship but.........

Started by From the Bunker, August 14, 2007, 10:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwaySham

The Munster championship should be retained, it is class, evey match is exciting and great hurling is played there. A couple of years ago, I was all for scrapping it but now I have the view that you shouldnt fix something when its not broken.

The leinster championship should be scrapped, in no way exciting any more adn to be honest, a bit of an emarassment at the moment.

I would have a munster championship & a rest of Ireland championship. Have the leinster counties along with Galway & Antrim (& possibly Down) compete in this. None of these stipulations from leinster like Galway cant get any home games (which was the reason Galway gave for not joinging leinster before before but was bizarrely ignored by the media), Just open draw, first team gets home advantage, simple.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: GalwaySham on August 27, 2007, 12:15:32 PM
None of these stipulations from leinster like Galway cant get any home games (which was the reason Galway gave for not joinging leinster before before but was bizarrely ignored by the media), Just open draw, first team gets home advantage, simple.

The Leinster championship is run on a neutral venue basis so I can see why it wasn't allowed!

Lone Shark

None of these stipulations from leinster like Galway cant get any home games (which was the reason Galway gave for not joinging leinster before before but was bizarrely ignored by the media), Just open draw, first team gets home advantage, simple.

You're misinformed on this. I know for a fact that Kilkenny, Wexford and Offaly were all willing to enter into home/away arrangements with Galway, and I'm sure that Dublin would have too though I can't confirm that. The main drawback was because of the chunk of gate receipts that Galway were looking for - way in excess of anything any of the Leinster counties get, plus they also wanted a percentage of the gates from games they weren't even involved in - since it would all be higher profile due to Galways involvement don't ya know.

Galway made absolutely obscene demands last time around and that is the only reason why it all fell through.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Lone Shark on August 27, 2007, 02:36:51 PM

You're misinformed on this. I know for a fact that Kilkenny, Wexford and Offaly were all willing to enter into home/away arrangements with Galway, and I'm sure that Dublin would have too though I can't confirm that. The main drawback was because of the chunk of gate receipts that Galway were looking for - way in excess of anything any of the Leinster counties get, plus they also wanted a percentage of the gates from games they weren't even involved in - since it would all be higher profile due to Galways involvement don't ya know.

Galway made absolutely obscene demands last time around and that is the only reason why it all fell through.

I have to say this is not what I was told and without naming who said it to me I can say you couldn't get much higher than him in the Galway hurling board.

As ever with these things the truth is probably somewhere in between and the faint whiff of bullshit permeates everything.

GalwaySham

I can recall that at the time in the local papers in Galway, there were hurling people from all over the county saying this was the reason they wouldnt do it.
But it was ignored by the national media.

I think Galway suggested getting some of the gate receipts from the matches they would have to play away as they would not have anything from home matches & the leinster council rejected this.

Be no problem if they were just allowed home matches.

Lone Shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 27, 2007, 03:00:45 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on August 27, 2007, 02:36:51 PM

I have to say this is not what I was told and without naming who said it to me I can say you couldn't get much higher than him in the Galway hurling board.

As ever with these things the truth is probably somewhere in between and the faint whiff of bullshit permeates everything.

The version of events I put above again comes first hand from an Offaly delegate who was involved in the discussions, but yes, I accept that people are inclined to focus on what they get upset about themselves and ignore other issues which would paint them in a less favourable light. I know he was fixated on the ridiculous idea that Galway wanted a percentage of gate receipts fom games they weren't involved in, and I think at this point the whole thing descended into farce. That certainly wasn't pulled from the ether. 

Unless Galway wanted the actual Leinster Final to be part of the home and away arrangement, possibly that might have been the sticking point, and I can see then how both sides might have twisted that into (1) Galway won't do home and away and (2) Galway aren't allowed any home matches, depending on your viewpoint.