More sectarianism in Irish League Football

Started by T Fearon, August 14, 2007, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

SO now giving your opinion is a "trick"  ::)

Jesus
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2007, 10:49:48 AM
SO now giving your opinion is a "trick"  ::)

Jesus

Not "trick" as in "A crafty or fraudulent device of a mean or base kind; an artifice to deceive or cheat; a stratagem, ruse, wile" ::)

"Trick" as in "A clever or adroit expedient, device".

his holiness nb

Thanks MW, I understand what "trick" means  8)
Ask me holy bollix

Orior

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2007, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 14, 2007, 06:30:22 PM

You, Sammy, Evil Genius, Gwelytah are all welcome here and nobody has suggested otherwise.

There are a small number of posters who have made it clear, explicitly and/or implicitly, that I and my views are actually not really welcome here. Invariably, it is in the context of being dubbed [pun intended] one of "the owc crowd". As such, you are one of the most irritating offenders.

Anyhow, I don't let these prejudices deter me, since I realise that such posters are not representative of "the GAA crowd". In fact, one of the things I have learned from this Board is that there is no such thing as a "GAA crowd", since that constituency represents a wide range of views.

Can you explain why OWC opinions are welcomed and faciliated on GAABoard, yet on the OWC forum one little teasing remark against british/protestant opinion gets one banned for life?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

And please make sure you've dried your hands after you've washed them of owc forum.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

You, Sammy, Evil Genius, Gwelytah are all welcome here and nobody has suggested otherwise.

There are a small number of posters who have made it clear, explicitly and/or implicitly, that I and my views are actually not really welcome here. Invariably, it is in the context of being dubbed [pun intended] one of "the owc crowd". As such, you are one of the most irritating offenders.

Anyhow, I don't let these prejudices deter me, since I realise that such posters are not representative of "the GAA crowd". In fact, one of the things I have learned from this Board is that there is no such thing as a "GAA crowd", since that constituency represents a wide range of views.

EG you are welcome on this board,  the regular posters and the mods (oneill included) are a lot more tolerant than some other boards out there are and I am sure you can would agree with that. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Well in fairness EG you do collectively defend every single point made on any IFA club and if anyone makes a disparaging remark about owc they seemed to be branded as liars. Jeffries and Neil lennon and the Doog could at one point or another relate to that.

MW

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2007, 04:45:24 PM

Well in fairness EG you do collectively defend every single point made on any IFA club and if anyone makes a disparaging remark about owc they seemed to be branded as liars. Jeffries and Neil lennon and the Doog could at one point or another relate to that.

Do you have some sort of problem with me saying that the Ballymena fans were outraged at Jeffrey's allegation?

And aren't you the one calling Ballymena fans, and the Ballymena manager and officials, liars?

(By the way Jeffrey doesn't have to be lying if what he says isn't true. Just as likely is the explanation that he misheard the chant "You're just a bunch of bigots" that everyone else seems to have heard)

MW

From today's Belfast Telegraph:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/article2864347.ece

The evening edition has an update article which says the IFA will be investigating. If the allegations are substantiated, Ballymena United face being fined. If the allegation is unfounded, David Jeffrey and/or Linfield could be reprimanded.

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2007, 10:42:17 AM
Not alarming at all and once again MW you are playing the victim.

I don't have to 'play' the victim when I get the sort of treatment above. (i.e. treated as one of a collectivbe of 'themmuns' who all share the same brain or something)

Curious though how you jump onto my post to EG referring to him specifically, then on another hand whinge about it when we say you might possibly be of the same mindset  ::)

Yet again you've managed to muddle things up. I was taking you up on your attitude. You brought EG into it. I continuted to address your attitude to me.

Its easy to cut and paste a selection of quotes to suit your argument and call it "alarming".
I could easily do the same to show the "alarming" views of you

Go ahead then, I challenge you to do just that.

Are you telling me Tony didn't call me 'OWC' on this thread, then say 'OWC' do something which I've never done? Are you saying 5ivetimes didn't make a completly groundless allegation that I'd "jumped on the Darren Graham bandwagon"? Are you saying that you didn't refer to "all the NI soccer contingent" having done something which in fact only myself and another poster had done, and went on in the same sentence to say this "contingent" had done something which I haven't done and which I would doubt the other poster did either?

Stop me if I'm getting any facts wrong here ???

and others, but thats just lazy.

I'll tell you what's lazy. Branding a group of people and not bothering your arse to think about which one of "themmuns" has actually expressed which opinion. Extremely bloody lazy.

stew

Quote from: MW on August 15, 2007, 05:56:51 PM
Quote from: stew on August 15, 2007, 04:45:24 PM

Do you have some sort of problem with me saying that the Ballymena fans were outraged at Jeffrey's allegation?

And aren't you the one calling Ballymena fans, and the Ballymena manager and officials, liars?

(By the way Jeffrey doesn't have to be lying if what he says isn't true. Just as likely is the explanation that he misheard the chant "You're just a bunch of bigots" that everyone else seems to have heard)

I have no problem with you saying SOME Ballymena fans were outraged at Jeffrey's allegation but to say all I take exception to.

I am not calling anyone anything, if some at the game didnt hear it and they dont believe it they are as informed as I am about the abuse, they can neither confirm nor deny what was said. I just don't know why someone would make this claim up.

If jeffries is lying he should be severely sanctioned, if ballymena supporters did shout what was alleged then they should be punished as individuals and a fine should be handed out to the club but the brunt of the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of the abusers.

stew

Lookit, sawker in the six is very poorly attended but those who do go seem to have no problem abusing opposing managers, players and officials ( just ask the poor linesman from the republic who got dogs abuse)

I have very low expectations for sawker fans in general but especially those of lingfield and glentoran and I would be sad to have to add a third team of haters in ballymena should jeffries claims be substantiated. I hope this is not the case.

take a leaf out of the rugger buggers book sawkah fans, just show up, drink loads of beer and have a great time minus all the sectarianism and see what happens.

MW

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2007, 06:09:47 PM
I have no problem with you saying SOME Ballymena fans were outraged at Jeffrey's allegation but to say all I take exception to.

Okay, let me put it another way. Any Ballymena fan whose account I have encountered either on ILF, in person, or through friends, who was at the match on Saturday have been outraged at Jeffrey's allegations and have said they are groundless.

I am not calling anyone anything, if some at the game didnt hear it and they dont believe it they are as informed as I am about the abuse, they can neither confirm nor deny what was said.

No stew. Jeffrey claims to have have heard a song (worse than Rangers ::)) coming from the Ballymena fans. He was standing in front of the South Stand, across the pitch from the North Stand where the Ballymena fans were housed. If the alleged song was actually sung, and was audible to Jeffrey, it would certainly have been audible to Ballymena fans, who insist there was no such song. It wold also have been audible to Linfield fans in the Kop Stand and the South Stand, and plenty of them seemed pretty bemused by what Jeffrey had to say.

I just don't know why someone would make this claim up.

As I've said above, he doesn't have to be making it up. He could have misheard the song. Given that he's extremely 'emotionally charged' at matches this is possible. If you're looking for reasons why he might make it up - a section of the Ballymena support was getting at him over his private life. Add in the fact that some years ago he as implicated in joining in a sectarian song post-match (those emotions getting the better of him again) and there's some sort of motive there - attacks his attackers and paint himself in an anti-sectarian light.

To me the most likely scenario is that being a bit of a headcase (no, I'm not just trying to smear him here ::)) he misheard the song, and his mind went charging like a runaway train. He then saw his way to get his own back at the Ballymena supporters who had been giving him personal abuse by going straight to the papers with how hocked and disppointed he was (he has previous here, 2000 I think it was over the aforementioned Oval 'tunnel' incident)

If jeffries is lying he should be severely sanctioned,

Yes, it's unlikely to come about though since it's going to be very hard to conclusively prove 'the negative' (i.e. there was nothing of a sectarian nature sung), and even then hard to prove Jeffrey deliberately made it up.

if ballymena supporters did shout what was alleged then they should be punished as individuals and a fine should be handed out to the club but the brunt of the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of the abusers.

I'm of the opinion that clubs should be fined and "supporters" banned.

MW

Quote from: stew on August 15, 2007, 06:15:29 PM
Lookit, sawker in the six is very poorly attended but those who do go seem to have no problem abusing opposing managers, players and officials

You of course know a lot about Irish League football through all those matches that you've attended, I assume ::)

( just ask the poor linesman from the republic who got dogs abuse)

Are you ever going to try to substantiate this or explain where you got it from? ???

I have very low expectations for sawker fans in general but especially those of lingfield and glentoran

Nice. As a Glentoran fan, can I ask why?

and I would be sad to have to add a third team of haters

Wait just there. Glentoran are a "team of haters"? How exactly do you justify such an allegation?

As for your opinion on Linfield. For f**ks sake a few pages back you were taking the Linfield manager's word as gospel, and because I had the temerity to say that actually Ballymena fans were strongly taking issue with what he claimed, you said "Wow, I am seeing a pattern here. Any time anyone says anything negative about an IFA club they get lambasted and the personal abuse toward them reaches unforseen heights...I applaud this man for having the stones to report this abuse given the history of retribution the 'fans' of IFA have meted out in the past"

Make up your mind ???

take a leaf out of the rugger buggers book sawkah fans, just show up, drink loads of beer and have a great time minus all the sectarianism and see what happens.

Yeah, you'd never catch soccer fans doing that ::) You really don't have a clue, do you?

stew

Quote from: MW on August 15, 2007, 06:53:29 PM
Quote from: stew on August 15, 2007, 06:15:29 PM
Lookit, sawker in the six is very poorly attended but those who do go seem to have no problem abusing opposing managers, players and officials

You of course know a lot about Irish League football through all those matches that you've attended, I assume ::)

( just ask the poor linesman from the republic who got dogs abuse)

Are you ever going to try to substantiate this or explain where you got it from? ???

I have very low expectations for sawker fans in general but especially those of lingfield and glentoran

Nice. As a Glentoran fan, can I ask why?

and I would be sad to have to add a third team of haters

Wait just there. Glentoran are a "team of haters"? How exactly do you justify such an allegation?

As for your opinion on Linfield. For f**ks sake a few pages back you were taking the Linfield manager's word as gospel, and because I had the temerity to say that actually Ballymena fans were strongly taking issue with what he claimed, you said "Wow, I am seeing a pattern here. Any time anyone says anything negative about an IFA club they get lambasted and the personal abuse toward them reaches unforseen heights...I applaud this man for having the stones to report this abuse given the history of retribution the 'fans' of IFA have meted out in the past"

Make up your mind ???

Yeah, you'd never catch soccer fans doing that ::) You really don't have a clue, do you?

I been to many irish league games, probably over a hundred in my time.

There was a linesman from the south in the past year that got awful abuse from a section of the wp faithful during a game. This is a fact and was commented on over on owc, even they acknowledged that it happened so why cant you????

It is not just local soccer fans MW ther are issues worldwide with so called 'fans' who give the game a bad name. The spanish fans have gone racist in reent years and don't get me started on English clubs. In the north you had that riot a couple of years back between lingfield and the mighty glens supporters and now there is a new scandal hanging over the head of Ballymena United so forgive me for having such low expectations for soccer fans.

As for the fans having a few drinks and simply enjoying themselves, of course some do that in soccer but the difference is you never hear about issues with rugby fans and sectarianism is non existant in Rugby. If you cannot see the difference between the two you are blind. Rugby fans are a better calibre of supporter in my opinion because unlike a portion of sawker fans, the rugby boys dont bate other over the head with bottles, use knives and wreck property.