More sectarianism in Irish League Football

Started by T Fearon, August 14, 2007, 12:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

QuoteVaries from match to match but games with Cliftonville/Linfield/Glentoran usually get decent crowds

Sammy, are we talking hundreds or thousands here?
"Stercus accidit"

SammyG

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 25, 2007, 04:42:37 PM
QuoteVaries from match to match but games with Cliftonville/Linfield/Glentoran usually get decent crowds

Sammy, are we talking hundreds or thousands here?

Depends on who's playing and how important the match is. Crowds are anywhere from a couple of hundred up to 6 or 7000.

deiseach

I take it the crowds are proportional to the amount of hate between the two clubs.

rrhf

A tyrone championship semi final attracted 8 - 9000 at the weekend.  yet it will always be argued that Joe Public wants to see soccor.  I have half a notion of cancelling my SKY contract after witnessing that rubbish last night. I must admit I was very disappointed with the attendance.  

Spiritof98

I think the large attendence also relates to the band wagon aspect in Cliftonville, they have a seriously good chance of the league if they can stay fit, I know thay have probably the best youth set up also, so things are looking up for them esp after the Co. Antrim Shield victory over Linfield
I'll go back if Marsdens back

SammyG

Quote from: rrhf on September 25, 2007, 04:50:47 PM
A tyrone championship semi final attracted 8 - 9000 at the weekend.  yet it will always be argued that Joe Public wants to see soccor.
Hardly a fair comparison, football cup finals attract bigger crowds as well. How many would turn up for a bread and butter GAA match on a wet Monday night?
 I have half a notion of cancelling my SKY contract after witnessing that rubbish last night.
Not sure what you were expecting. I'm not an expert on the IL (would only see a couple of matches a season if I happen to be home) but it's about the same standard as the lower leagues in England and anybody I've spoken to thought last night's game was decent enough.
I must admit I was very disappointed with the attendance.  
In what way?

nifan

In an almost completely irrelevant point I was at a wedding in Washington DC a week ago, the bride had gone to university of michigan.
The attendance at their games has been over 100,000 for each of the last 200 games,and has topped at about 112,000 people.

Rossfan

A tyrone championship semi final attracted 8 - 9000 at the weekend.  yet it will always be argued that Joe Public wants to see soccor.   

The Longford Intermediate Final had about 2,000 in Pearse Park on Sunday while Longford Town's FAI Cup Qtr Final last weekend got around 1,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

I thought it was a decent game, equal to, if not better than the dross they regularly show from the English lower leagues. 

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on September 25, 2007, 06:44:22 PM
In an almost completely irrelevant point I was at a wedding in Washington DC a week ago, the bride had gone to university of michigan.
The attendance at their games has been over 100,000 for each of the last 200 games,and has topped at about 112,000 people.
Unless I have missed something I think the adverb 'almost' should have been left out. Surely you can appreciate that in the absence of the ever perceptive Sky microphones ability to pick up any sectarian dribble at a "heated" Belfast derby game, nonetheless points have to be scored. We reserve the right to guffaw at the IL paltry attendences in comparison to GAA underage ladies camogie competitions.

MW

I didn't see the game, off training myself, but from what I hear seems to have been a decent spectacle - and as a Glentoran fan a handy result for us! Cliftonville look like they'll be up there challenging for the IPL title again this season.

On the original subject of the thread, I see David Jeffrey has now been told to substantiate his allegations by 10 October or apologise to the Ballymena fans...

http://www.picfury.com/2r/A33882-1.html

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on September 25, 2007, 09:46:15 PM
Unless I have missed something I think the adverb 'almost' should have been left out. Surely you can appreciate that in the absence of the ever perceptive Sky microphones ability to pick up any sectarian dribble at a "heated" Belfast derby game, nonetheless points have to be scored. We reserve the right to guffaw at the IL paltry attendences in comparison to GAA underage ladies camogie competitions.

well as a newly founde U of Michigan fan (go wolverines) i thought id guffaw at all of your paltry turnouts :P

An Fear Dearg

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 25, 2007, 02:43:34 PMNo joy on either of these sites or on the official IFA site; must be a closely guarded secret!!!!!!! I don't really care; just curious to see how their attendance figures compare with GAA National League matches.
Erm...if you "don't really care" then why did you comment on the issue several times?  :-\

The attendance was 2,571, Cliftonville's largest since the day we won the league in April 1998.  Attendance figures are submitted to the IFA but are not published.

An Fear Dearg

Quote from: rrhf on September 25, 2007, 04:50:47 PMI have half a notion of cancelling my SKY contract after witnessing that rubbish last night.
Admirable narrow-mindedness, bordering on stupidity. :)

Quote from: rrhf on September 25, 2007, 04:50:47 PMI must admit I was very disappointed with the attendance.   
You were disappointed that it was Cliftonville's highest attendance in almost 10 years and that 80% of tickets available were sold?  Bizarre...

MW