new order in Ulster

Started by no stirieking, August 12, 2007, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 12, 2007, 08:53:32 PM
To say Tyrone/Armagh are still the top 2 in Ulster is rubbish. On the basis of this year Monaghan or Derry are on a par or ahead of either one. Let's not get stuck in the past folks. Believe me I know -- we've been milking the 2003 Leinster for 4 seasons now...

Well can Tyrone at least milk the 2007 Ulster title then? Just for this year which is 2007 still I think?

we are blue... etc

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 12, 2007, 08:56:33 PM
Quote from: we are blue... etc on August 12, 2007, 08:53:32 PM
To say Tyrone/Armagh are still the top 2 in Ulster is rubbish. On the basis of this year Monaghan or Derry are on a par or ahead of either one. Let's not get stuck in the past folks. Believe me I know -- we've been milking the 2003 Leinster for 4 seasons now...

Well can Tyrone at least milk the 2007 Ulster title then? Just for this year which is 2007 still I think?

Milk away....

Over the Bar

QuoteTo say Tyrone/Armagh are still the top 2 in Ulster is rubbish. On the basis of this year Monaghan or Derry are on a par or ahead of either one

Good to hear.  Will be calling to Glaslough for a drink out of the Sam next year then  :P

Rossfan

Two years in aa row no Ulster team in the last 4.
TUT TUT >:(
Where are the banner headlines -" Ulster football in crisis" or "meltdown" ::)
Jasus if it happened to Connacht 2 years in a  row we'd have a ten page thread by now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Luring the rest of Ireland into a false sense of security. ;)
Testing Accessibility

Leo

Ulster's divisions are:
Tyrone,  Derry & Monaghan on a par.
Armagh and Donegal next - Donegal should be higher but not even McIver has been able to get rid of that shite crossfield handpassing that is unwatchable and ultimately wins nothing.
Fermanagh and Down on the next leve, both going the wrong way l with Down capable of falling through the floor unless there is a huge wise up done.
Antrim and Cavan also appearing.
Fierce tame altogether

Fear Boirche

QuoteA fully fit Tyrone are No.1, Derry, Monaghan and Donegal (if you can forgive their chamionship form this year) are a bit behind that, Armagh whilst as good as the previous three this year, will have fallen further behind next year, remember Down may snapping at their heels for the 5th spot!!

I wouldn't bet on it, I think it's a straight between us Cavan and Antrim for the wooden spoon. Our Qualifiers record is abysmal, Derry have shown how to go far in the Championship using the scenic route. I think we have a way to go to break into the top five.

My Ulster rankings, based on this year would be:

1. Tyrone
2. Monaghan
3. Derry
4. Donegal
5. Armagh
6. Fermanagh
7. Down
8. Cavan
9. Antrim (although they came closest than most to winning a trophy!)

ziggysego

Tyrone are not the strongest team in Ulster at the moment.

That honour belongs with Monaghan, will Derry coming close behind. Then there is a gap, which I feel that Tyrone tops that tier with Donegal, then Armagh. 6, 7, 8 and 9 follow suit.
Testing Accessibility

southderryman

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 12, 2007, 07:15:28 PM
If Tyrone or Armagh went into either of this weekend's big football games with a fully fit squad, as Derry and Monaghan had, they would have beaten Dublin and Kerry.
The big two, when fully fit, will still be the teams to beat, and have the mental strength that none of the rest have in Ulster.
The rest will occasionally do well, flatter to decieve and waste their chances on the big stage, that's what us small fish do  :-\

a fully fit squad?? catch yourself on ffs!! ok we mightn't have had as many injuries as tyrone or armagh but we had 3 very crucial injuries. paul cartin out for 8 months, kevin mc guckin clearly not match fit, and paul murphy not fit either (in my opinion the reason we lost was murphy's half time departure, his vision and point taking in the second half would have swung that game)

Armamike

Reading some of the posts here, it seems to be the case in gaelic football that you're only as good as your last game.  Derry mug Armagh in the qualifiers and all of a sudden they are a level above them?
That's just, like your opinion man.

tbrick18

Quote from: southderryman on August 13, 2007, 08:27:20 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on August 12, 2007, 07:15:28 PM
If Tyrone or Armagh went into either of this weekend's big football games with a fully fit squad, as Derry and Monaghan had, they would have beaten Dublin and Kerry.
The big two, when fully fit, will still be the teams to beat, and have the mental strength that none of the rest have in Ulster.
The rest will occasionally do well, flatter to decieve and waste their chances on the big stage, that's what us small fish do  :-\

a fully fit squad?? catch yourself on ffs!! ok we mightn't have had as many injuries as tyrone or armagh but we had 3 very crucial injuries. paul cartin out for 8 months, kevin mc guckin clearly not match fit, and paul murphy not fit either (in my opinion the reason we lost was murphy's half time departure, his vision and point taking in the second half would have swung that game)

Your forgetting mcloy playing the last 2 games with a broken finger, Barry McGoldrick broken finger, Michael McGoldrick hamstring (only you couldnt tell), Joe Diver hip for first half of season always playing catchup.
The injury excuse is pure crap....a team is only as strong as the panel. Its utter nonsense to say if we had all our players fit we'd be the best.
As for Armagh and Tyrone having mental strength...I think you will see over the next season or two just how fickle mental strength is. When a team wins a lot of games they are touted as having good mental strength. With every defeat, however, this diminsishes. The goal for Armagh and Tyrone over the past two year has been to win sam. By not doing this and by puttin in some very poor performances that mental strength will be eroding away. Conversely look at Monaghan and Derry this year. But could have won against hte Dubs and Kerry. That's going to improve both these teams.
Remember, it wasnt that long ago when Armagh or Tyrone rarely won a match and they were touted as a "one man team" or one that "didnt have the mental strength to compete". It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this could return!

inisceithleann

I hope Monaghan press on next year and prove that they're one of the best in Ulster. They probably in Banty have the best and most genuine football managers in Ireland and this has a lot to do with their success.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Uladh

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 13, 2007, 09:34:00 PM
They probably in Banty have the best and most genuine football managers in Ireland

What does this mean?

realistically the top five as i see it would be tyrone, armagh, derry, monaghan, donegal.

inisceithleann

Quote from: Uladh on August 13, 2007, 09:36:35 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 13, 2007, 09:34:00 PM
They probably in Banty have the best and most genuine football managers in Ireland

What does this mean?

realistically the top five as i see it would be tyrone, armagh, derry, monaghan, donegal.

I think he is a great manager, comes across as very passionate about football and this has rubbed off on his players. Monaghan probably don't have the strongest panels in Ulster but McEnaney has got an awful amount out of his players.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Star Spangler

Every county gets their 3 or 4 years of high times and then fall back again.  This happens every county except Kerry of course.  Teams like Tyrone, Armagh and Dublin have had it good for a few years and will most likely take a back seat again for a while.  Hopefully not for too long though.  ;)