McIver returns

Started by ExiledGael, August 12, 2007, 06:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

From BBC

Brian McIver is due to meet Donegal players on Tuesday as speculation mounts that he could be about to make a dramatic return as county manager.
McIver stepped down as team boss in July after Donegal crashed to Monaghan in the All-Ireland qualifiers.
Ending his two years in charge, Tyrone man McIver insisted he would not return to county management.
However, according to reports, McIver is considering the county board's offer to come back for another year.
This year McIver guided Donegal to the National League title but they lost to Tyrone in the Ulster semi-finals.

Strange situation here, Donegal realise the errors of their ways and repent??

J70

WTF? :o

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this to be honest. He did well overall, no question, but I wasn't too impressed with his sideline work on occasion, particularly the last day against Monaghan. Will the county board accede to his demands regarding playing club games without the county men? He also would appear to have quite a bit of work to do on the discipline and morale side of things.

ExiledGael

Looked like against Monaghan that his players totally let him down and betrayed any game plan he had instilled. Seemed almost betrayed by the players and he just walked away with his reputation almost intact.
The county board are apparently huge fans of McIver and the players have probably recieved serious flak for their attitude in defeat and realise maybe they should listen to a manager for a change, who knows.
Don't think it's a wise move for him though

Tyrones own

Harte dropped the bomb on him by staying on for another year,
  no choice but go crawling back to the hills ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

donegal gael

thanks be to god he reconsidered.. wouldn't fancy mulgrew making a balls of it for 3 years

overcarrying

would this be one of the biggest changes of heart in management if correct? or was pressure exerted to have him return?

goal and a point

Uladh

Quote from: overcarrying on August 14, 2007, 06:43:26 PM
would this be one of the biggest changes of heart in management if correct? or was pressure exerted to have him return?

certainly would after the slating he gave the players publically

orangeman

Donegal board and players have realised that it was nothing to do with Brian Mc Ivor and it was clearly a case of the players not been committed enough - Mc Ivor is a top man but there seems to be a culture among some players of drinking between games which will be difficult to erradicate - If Mc Ivor can't do it, nobody will.

Maximus Marillius

Mc Ivor and any other top man needs their head looked at by a shrink if they want to take Donegal...they will win nothing in championship football...they are missing what is essentially known as 'Balls' the biggest shower of gutless footballers I have seen for some time.

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's what you'd call a poisoned chalice -- poisoned with methylated spirits... and Smirnoff, and Jamesons, and...!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

My guess is he's played a blinder and put himself in a position of strength to take whatever steps necessary against non-performing, maggot-acting primadonnas and Donegal will be a force next year as a result.

rrhf

As well as the star turn semi finals 2007 will be remembered as a classic year for the Uturn and tank emptying. What with Geraghty for meath and McIver for Donegal doing uturns, and the farney men emptying the tank at the Ulster final and then emptying another tank against Kerry.  Its like heart removal without anaesthetic.

orangeman

What tank exactly gets emptied ? Gas tank ? Beer tank ? Oxygen tank ? Are there any other tanks ?

orangeman

Sounds now like Brian isn't going back at all ?